OU policy problem

Joe

I am trying to apply a GPO to an OU. The users in the OU
get the default doamin GPO but not the OU GPO. I have
looked at DNS and assume that its working since they
recieve the default GPO. I reviewed permissions on each OU
policy. gpresult shows default domain policy being applied
but not ou policy any suggestions on what i am overlooking?

Hi Joe.

Don't necessarily assume dns is configured correctly whenever you have a
problem. Make sure domain controller is pointing to itself as it's preferred
dns server and that the domain computers point to domain controllers running
dns. I would start by running netdiag on the computers that the users are
not getting the policy from looking for failed tests/fatal warnings. Also be
sure you are configuring user configuration and not something like password
policy. Other things to look at are that the user configuration part of the
gpo is enabled, the gpo itself is enabled, the GPO's at a higher level do
not have "no override" configured and have the same settings defined, and
that the users are not logging on a computer that is in an container with
"loopback processing". It is also possible the policy has not propagated
yet. Using secedit as described in the link below on the domain controller
first and then the domain computer can speed propagation of policy. ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;227302
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810739

"Joe" <jchildress@cofcu.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to apply a GPO to an OU. The users in the OU
> get the default doamin GPO but not the OU GPO. I have
> looked at DNS and assume that its working since they
> recieve the default GPO. I reviewed permissions on each OU
> policy. gpresult shows default domain policy being applied
> but not ou policy any suggestions on what i am overlooking?

Joe,
The GP troubleshooting guide may help too

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/gptshoot.asp

You all seem to have all the bases coverd

-Permissions
-Inheritance
-Replication

Do you have any GP's applied to computers or users in other OU's are
those working ok and being reported using gpresult or is the problem
only with this particular OU?

"Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nscomcast.net> wrote in message news:<di5xc.13750$HG.6748@attbi_s53>...
> Hi Joe.
>
> Don't necessarily assume dns is configured correctly whenever you have a
> problem. Make sure domain controller is pointing to itself as it's preferred
> dns server and that the domain computers point to domain controllers running
> dns. I would start by running netdiag on the computers that the users are
> not getting the policy from looking for failed tests/fatal warnings. Also be
> sure you are configuring user configuration and not something like password
> policy. Other things to look at are that the user configuration part of the
> gpo is enabled, the gpo itself is enabled, the GPO's at a higher level do
> not have "no override" configured and have the same settings defined, and
> that the users are not logging on a computer that is in an container with
> "loopback processing". It is also possible the policy has not propagated
> yet. Using secedit as described in the link below on the domain controller
> first and then the domain computer can speed propagation of policy. ---
> Steve
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;227302
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810739
>
> "Joe" <jchildress@cofcu.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to apply a GPO to an OU. The users in the OU
> > get the default doamin GPO but not the OU GPO. I have
> > looked at DNS and assume that its working since they
> > recieve the default GPO. I reviewed permissions on each OU
> > policy. gpresult shows default domain policy being applied
> > but not ou policy any suggestions on what i am overlooking?

Joe

Steven
thanks for help on this. ended up removing OU policy
allowing propogation then re applying all worked well
after that.
Joe