Opteron 185 OC questions

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Hey guys,

Never really been an overclocker but I just got a 185 opty ($300!). I have an ASUS A8N SLI-Delux MB w/ 2G of OCZ dual channel platinum ram, dual 74g raptors, and a 512mb 7950gt from foxcomm. So, here's the question:

Is it even worthwhile to try to O/C this guy to 2.8 (or more) or will I not even notice the difference? Then, if so, what's the technique? The only adjustable fields I saw in the bios for the cpu was HTT and it's currently on auto, with ranges of 1 thru 5 as options I believe. Not looking to upgrade the cooling and I'm not trying to win a benchmark war. Just heard these proc's are capable of more than their stock label and wondered about possibilities.

Thx for your expertise ahead of time as I'm a lacking knowledge in this particular area. Forgive the elementary questions.

Thanks again

ps. any good appz out there to monitor the cores' usages other than just task manager? (new toy, just wanted a visual representation of how cool, or uncool, the new setup is)

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Hey guys,

Never really been an overclocker but I just got a 185 opty ($300!). I have an ASUS A8N SLI-Delux MB w/ 2G of OCZ dual channel platinum ram, dual 74g raptors, and a 512mb 7950gt from foxcomm. So, here's the question:

Is it even worthwhile to try to O/C this guy to 2.8 (or more) or will I not even notice the difference? Then, if so, what's the technique? The only adjustable fields I saw in the bios for the cpu was HTT and it's currently on auto, with ranges of 1 thru 5 as options I believe. Not looking to upgrade the cooling and I'm not trying to win a benchmark war. Just heard these proc's are capable of more than their stock label and wondered about possibilities.

Thx for your expertise ahead of time as I'm a lacking knowledge in this particular area. Forgive the elementary questions.

Thanks again

ps. any good appz out there to monitor the cores' usages other than just task manager? (new toy, just wanted a visual representation of how cool, or uncool, the new setup is)

if you want to oc.
in the bios go to the
jumperfree config.
and set to manual. then raise the fsb by 10 mgz at the most.
then go from there.

then in the htt if you plan to go higher, it would be a good idea to drop it
to say x4 .

and check your memory. you want to keep it at 200mhz or lower.

of course there is more too it than what i said.
but this is the basics for a small oc.

check the stickies here and good luck.