How to Install a new cpu socket 939 3800 to FX-60

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Hello everyone I've been looking all over the net on how to upgrade my old processor. I currently have a AMD 939 X2 3800 and what to upgrade to a FX-60. I know how to take out the old processor and install a new one but some places on the net tell me that I have to reinstall windows. Do I have to do anything in software wise to my computer to upgrade? Or do I just turn off computer install cpu and just boot up? Sorry for the stupid questions but I need to know what I'm doing. LOL

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
No worries neibour.Upgrade is as simple as pulling out the old processor and installing the new one.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.644 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
I can not say that I have ever had to reinstall windows just for a cpu upgrade. You will most likely need to get dual core drivers though. Also I would not get an FX-60. It is way overprice. Get yourself an opteron 170 and overclock it. If you do not want to mess with overclocking get and opteron 185 and save yourself about $120. Same chips basically as the fx-60 except the multiplier is locked on the opteron.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103002

Edit: missed the x2 next the 3800+ so disregard that dual core driver since you should already have it. Getting kinda sleepy over here and not reading everything as well as I should. :oops:

Thank you everyone for the fast response. Now I never thought of the opteron 170 but that looks sweet! Why does it cost less? What does the miltiplier do? Also can I overclock the Opteron to a 2.9 without any problems?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I can not say that I have ever had to reinstall windows just for a cpu upgrade. You will most likely need to get dual core drivers though. Also I would not get an FX-60. It is way overprice. Get yourself an opteron 170 and overclock it. If you do not want to mess with overclocking get and opteron 185 and save yourself about $120. Same chips basically as the fx-60 except the multiplier is locked on the opteron.

Edit: missed the x2 next the 3800+ so disregard that dual core driver since you should already have it. Getting kinda sleepy over here and not reading everything as well as I should. :oops:

Thank you everyone for the fast response. Now I never thought of the opteron 170 but that looks sweet! Why does it cost less? What does the miltiplier do? Also can I overclock the Opteron to a 2.9 without any problems?

With all these questions that would give an Overclocker a Heart Attack, i don't think you should even or attempt to "upgrade" anything inside the PC Case without Hours more of research and Reading these fourms.
What does the miltiplier do?
8O

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
I've built two computers before but I'm not a expert on overclocking. On my asus motherboard I have a option to click where the motherboard overclocks in a percentile range. I over clocked my 3800 from a 2.0 to a 2.2 with this option. I've learned that the only stupid question is the one you never ask. Also when you tell me that I need to read the forums to learn, that is where I got confused and had to ask these questions. Thank you for your time and effort.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Every CPU has a "multiplier" number. The multiplier multiplied by the FSB results in the actual clock speed.

dipz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
On a related note, I will be replacing my stock cooler with a Zalman 9500 soon and I would like to know if it is safe to do so with my mobo still installed. How safe is this? I know it is recommended to do installation of the HS first for a new build, and I know that most people do any further replacements with the mobo in place. I just want to know how much stress this puts on the mobo. Does it "un-warp" and warp again when the stock HS is replaced or does it remain in a fixed state of stress?