Sign in with
Your question

Construction question: Home VPN for remote management

Last response: in Networking
August 1, 2006 4:21:29 PM

I'm moving away to take a job in another city, and I won't be getting home to see my parents very often. They have a small, very standard wireless/ethernet network based on an older 802.11b Linksys router to share a printer and their cable modem connection. It's not a complicated setup, but machines do go awry from time to time, and all the usual small maintenance needs to be done.

In my new place, my roommate and I will no doubt end up with a few machines, a broadband connection, and a router/switch box to connect everything. Because my parents' devices are hidden behind a NAT box, I won't be able to use remote desktop to log in to and administer them directly. Their existing router has port forwarding, but I'd have to change the destination IP every time I wanted to log in to a different machine, and for it to really work I'd probably have to enable remote administration on the router so that the admin page was viewable from the internet.

What I'd prefer is a VPN that allows me to connect the two networks over the internet. That way, the IP's of my parents' machines will be directly accessible to me, and I'll have an easier time administering everything. I've done some research and found that Linksys' newer router/switch combos include VPN support and built-in support for dynamic DNS services so that it isn't necessary to find a moving IP. I've been considering these products:

Linksys WRV54G: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2...

OR

Linksys WRV200: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2...

It's my understanding that if I buy two and use one for NAT on each network, I'll be able to bridge the two networks with a VPN.

Does anyone have experience with these products? Also, how does DHCP work in an environment like this? If both routers assign themselves 192.168.1.1 on the LAN side, how is this hashed out in a VPN? Is it just handled with different routing tables, or something more complicated?

I haven't settled on these products, or even this general solution, and any suggestions or comments would be great.
August 2, 2006 12:39:55 AM

The wvr54g is the better choice. It supports router to router vpn. The other one from what I can tell is just port forwarding. You will need to use a hardware VPN, if a computer is acting up you may not beable to make a vpn connection.

Your lan IP will need to be on different IP. Then set up rip to handling the routing. Or use static on there side so you know what the IP will be.

Good luck VPN are difficult to setup. I get to try my first one next week.
!