What gets released first.. AMD Barcelona or Intel's Penryn

What gets released first.. AMD Barcelona or Intel''s Pernryn

• Intel''s 45 nano meter Core2Due follow on

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Amd''s 65 Nano Barcelona

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • The \"loser\" will paper launch within days (hours) of the winner of the race...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Neither, Via's C3000 will beat them all!! Long Live VIA!!1one

HELL YEAH!! I would love to see via release a cpu that stomps intel and amd procs into the ground, sadly i dont see it happening.

I would say Penryn will be out first, intel is going to fight like hell to stay on top this time around.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Barcelona, surely. 45nm is demoed, but not in production. The Barcelona architecture is being worked out and the 65nm process is being proven and tested in the Athlon 64s now.

Just seems to me like Barcelona will reach the market quite a bit ahead.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I dont think Intel wants to kill their core productions and convert the 65nm fabs into trash that fast just to trow out penryn for fanboys..

money guys remember.. for companies MONEY FIRST, fanboys LATER.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
not to hijack or anything... but apt aren't you the one that had "My soon to be comp" in your sig forever? did you get it finally?

Yeah, i had that im my sig for a month or two. My pc is kinda built, no case yet, and ive only done a little stability testing so far. When i get my case it'll become my main computer (my main one right now is a macbook.). I used some of my budget on CD's and upgrades to a couple of my mac's, so i couldnt get the case with the rest of my stuff. After my Tuniq Tower 120 comes in to replace my scythe infinity i might order the case.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
AMD's Barcelona will come out first I recon. I doubt Intel is really worried about beating Barcelona to market with Penryn.

I voted Intel because of their resources, but I see your point. Why run when you're a mile ahead?

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
This is the way I see it.

Barcelona quad for servers is released first. Then the follow on Conroe replacement Wolfdale arrives about 1 month later. 2 weeks after that the dual core desktop version of Barcelona comes out.

Availability: Barcelona is not a paper launch but very limited availability

Wolfdale comes out with about the same force as the Conroe did.

Barcelona 2 core arrives with higher availability than the quad core version unless they disable 2 cores of the Quad core version and sell it as a 2 core version.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Barcelona is going to compete with the Kentsfield and Yorkfield quad cores from Intel.

The Athena dual core based on teh Barcelona will be competing with Conroe and Yorkfield.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Well at the moment they don't have a mid range to high end part that does compete the Conroe.

The Athena processor I believe is the code name for the cut down Barcelona that will be AMD's answer to the Conroe processor.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Right now that is about the only thing they can do. When the E4300 launches that is going to cause AMD to drop prices again. If the performance hit that they took in Q4 continues in the much slower Q1 with them already announcing price cuts then I'm thinking they might be going back into the Red unless ATI can prop them up but it is looking like ATI won't be helping them in Q1 because the R600 has pushed out its launch until the end of Q1.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
If Barcelona lives up to its hype then they will have something that will compete against the 5300 series of Xeon's. This just wont happen if they can't get their 65nm process down. The Barcelona might be the best CPU design since slice bread. Yes, I know I mixing my metaphors. :) Bu t if they can't produce the Brisbanes in volume, then as each week goes by were we don't see any of the Brisbane cores I'm going to say there will be a week by week push of significant Barcelona production.

Also, remember that the Barcelona core is over 200mm, that just reduces their production numbers both because of the limited number you can fit on a wafer and the yield issue is going to affect them worse than Intel. Intel will always be able to produce more Quad core processors per wafer because they will be able to produce a higher number of good parts per wafter because they parts are starting out smaller.

I mean you can't tell me that AMD can't make put to X2 parts together and make quad core that way. They already have the HT links to do that with and the latency thing seen with the 4x4 would be greatly reduced. I don't know if it is pride and all the bull about Intel's clued together approach has painted them into a corner or just a limitation in their processor packaging technology.

Okay, I got my venting done. :)

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I think Barcelona will be released before Penryn, by 1/2 to 1 full quarter.

I have a feeling AMD will enjoy the shortest reign as performance king in CPU history, who knows. :wink:

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
If the last rumors about the A0 Penryn booting Windows are true, then Penryn is very likely that will appear on the market before K8L.
I think that K8L has no theoretical chances to outperform Penryn. Basicly, clock for clock, one will be marginaly faster than the other, but Penryn will be clocked much higher. I also think that Penryn will be faster clock for clock, but who knows.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I do not believe that Barcelona will give AMD the performance crown. Remember it is only another revision of K8. I fear that AMD is making the mistake of sticking with an architecture too long, such as Intel stuck with NetBurst too long. K8 has been an excellent architecture, but it's time for AMD to move on and redesign not rework an architecture.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Redesigning new architechure (spelling?) is remarkable for the expense involved. AMD is trying to save money methinks, hoping that they can eek the last squeeze of performance from the K8.
-cm

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Redesigning new architechure (spelling?) is remarkable for the expense involved. AMD is trying to save money methinks, hoping that they can eek the last squeeze of performance from the K8.
-cm

AMD is looking to improve IPC efficiency, not overcome Intel's architecture. I really could care less which one comes out first. Since they were said to be running at about 2.2 IPC, if they can increase that to 2.7 (do we HAVE TO go through this again), then that translates into a nice increase in BIPS.

They don't have to be faster than Intel for at least 2 more years based on the "NetBurst Era." I can't wait until Barcelona sticks its head back up. We should at least get a clock speed and a "real" bench or two.

I expect better than 70% better than Opteron just because of the extra cores. There are FOUR now. With the additional "ambiguation" and dedicated stack and 2x128bit loads, 2x128 bit SSE4A, etc WOW, who knows what that thing will do at 2.5GHz whenever it comes out.

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
You realize that Intel is about, oh, 10x as large as AMD, and therefore, AMD cannot afford to be behind as long as Intel was with Netburst?