Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
noticed
some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
sort of qualification?

Geoff A. wrote:
> Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
> noticed
> some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
> sort of qualification?

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message news:uOx$rmGDFHA.520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Geoff A. wrote:
>> Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
>> noticed
>> some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
>> sort of qualification?
>>

> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

How do you get Microsoft Most Valued Professional from the MVP acronym; shouldn't that then be MMVP?

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Geoff A. wrote:
>
>> Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
>> noticed
>> some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
>> sort of qualification?
>>

> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP, or Office, but it doesn't amount to a great deal, if you were to figure in a years time per se. It is a voluntary program, with some rewards, but MS acknowledges NO affiliation with the MVPs or tkae responsibility for advice given, other than providing their servers for peer to peer advice.

"Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message news:ibsNd.4618$Tt.3928@fed1read05...
> Bruce Chambers wrote:
>> Geoff A. wrote:
>>
>>> Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
>>> noticed
>>> some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
>>> sort of qualification?
>>>

>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>
> So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
> knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.

The value belongs to those who benefit from the advice given by folks who
volunteer their time to help others. Microsoft also benefits by having a
channel in which to propagate information. This is a means to correct
misinformation and misperceptions. MVP's are first of all communicators, so
the idea is to get information and guidance out to the community through
folks whom others have been looking to for advice all along. Along the way
MS provides sources to the MVP's so that they give accurate and timely
information to other members of the online community.

"Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
> Bruce Chambers wrote:
>> Geoff A. wrote:
>>
>>> Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
>>> noticed
>>> some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
>>> sort of qualification?
>>>

>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>
> So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
> knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message

>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>
> So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
> knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.

And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be
altruistic then you are not altruistic.

Tom wrote:
> The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP, or Office, but it doesn't amount to a great deal, if you were to figure in a years time per se. It is a voluntary program, with some rewards, but MS acknowledges NO affiliation with the MVPs or tkae responsibility for advice given, other than providing their servers for peer to peer advice.
>
> "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message news:ibsNd.4618$Tt.3928@fed1read05...
>
>>Bruce Chambers wrote:

>>>Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
>>>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>>

>>So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
>>knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.

"The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP"
This is amazing and I got close to getting free software from MS. I got
the choice of buying a suite in the Home User Program. MS Office
Professional was offered for $21.95 in either XP/2003/Mac versions.
Makes you wonder about the mark up.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> The value belongs to those who benefit from the advice given by folks who
> volunteer their time to help others. Microsoft also benefits by having a
> channel in which to propagate information. This is a means to correct
> misinformation and misperceptions. MVP's are first of all communicators, so
> the idea is to get information and guidance out to the community through
> folks whom others have been looking to for advice all along. Along the way
> MS provides sources to the MVP's so that they give accurate and timely
> information to other members of the online community.

Was a rhetorical statement in a question format.

Vanguard wrote:
> "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>>
>> So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
>> knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.
>

> And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
> get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be
> altruistic then you are not altruistic.

Actually I didn't write this but I did say check the MVp.ORG site and
check the headers in the properties of the post.

MVP's are required to sign a nondisclosure agreement and are then given
access to MS sources and personnel in the areas of their MVP interest.
Since many MVP's also make a living in these areas of interest, this has
definite professional value.

"Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>>
>> So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
>> knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.
>

> And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
> get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be altruistic
> then you are not altruistic.

> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
> E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I guess you have a point; as MS does save money by not directly paying the MVPs (or anyone here, since anyone on a PC with interent access can ask, or give here), and giving away software at great discounts is certainly much cheaper thna paying a salary. That said, MS also (probably) saves money not having to pay actual tech support, with having and promoting these programs like MS MVPs.

I do think their software is expensive, but they do put a great deal into it, and it does cost money to have people write the software, then keep writing updates to it. I really don't have too much of a problem with MS prices, but I would if they had their software writers working in India, and the like, while not passing on the savings. I will say one thing, the tech support (especially email support) for my Office 2003 has been horrendous, and I let them know it in no uncertain terms.

"Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message news:gvsNd.4625$Tt.1675@fed1read05...
> Tom wrote:
>> The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP, or Office, but it doesn't amount to a great deal, if you were to figure in a years time per se. It is a voluntary program, with some rewards, but MS acknowledges NO affiliation with the MVPs or tkae responsibility for advice given, other than providing their servers for peer to peer advice.

>>>So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
>>>knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.
>
> "The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP"
> This is amazing and I got close to getting free software from MS. I got
> the choice of buying a suite in the Home User Program. MS Office
> Professional was offered for $21.95 in either XP/2003/Mac versions.
> Makes you wonder about the mark up.

Actually my comments were an addition to the thread and not a response to
yours. I enjoyed your contribution too.

Tom wrote:
> I guess you have a point; as MS does save money by not directly paying the MVPs (or anyone here, since anyone on a PC with interent access can ask, or give here), and giving away software at great discounts is certainly much cheaper thna paying a salary. That said, MS also (probably) saves money not having to pay actual tech support, with having and promoting these programs like MS MVPs.
>
> I do think their software is expensive, but they do put a great deal into it, and it does cost money to have people write the software, then keep writing updates to it. I really don't have too much of a problem with MS prices, but I would if they had their software writers working in India, and the like, while not passing on the savings. I will say one thing, the tech support (especially email support) for my Office 2003 has been horrendous, and I let them know it in no uncertain terms.
>
> "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message news:gvsNd.4625$Tt.1675@fed1read05...
>
>>Tom wrote:
>>
>>>The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP, or Office, but it doesn't amount to a great deal, if you were to figure in a years time per se. It is a voluntary program, with some rewards, but MS acknowledges NO affiliation with the MVPs or tkae responsibility for advice given, other than providing their servers for peer to peer advice.

>>"The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP"
>>This is amazing and I got close to getting free software from MS. I got
>>the choice of buying a suite in the Home User Program. MS Office
>>Professional was offered for $21.95 in either XP/2003/Mac versions.
>>Makes you wonder about the mark up.
Funny you mention India, are they branching out there with their New
Microsoft Research India Facility?

So how do you know if someone here passing themselves of as a MVP is
actually a MVP?

Robert Jacobs wrote:
> So how do you know if someone here passing themselves of as a MVP is
> actually a MVP?

>>Actually my comments were an addition to the thread and not a response to
>>yours. I enjoyed your contribution too.
>>
>>--
>>Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
>>(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
>>"Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message

>>>Was a rhetorical statement in a question format.

If they are listed in the MVP.ORG site and you check the header of the
news post and I'm not talking about the from header in the message but
in the properties. This isn't always reliable but most probably the
double check will eliminate spoofers.

Robert Jacobs wrote:
> So how do you know if someone here passing themselves of as a MVP is
> actually a MVP?

You ask to see their secret decoder ring...

Bill

Robert Jacobs wrote:
> So how do you know if someone here passing themselves of as a MVP is
> actually a MVP?

In most cases, just search for the suspect name on the MVP site. Some
MVPs post under "stage names," so to speak, but must use their real
names in Usenet.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpaward&style=TOC

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

> Robert Jacobs wrote:
>> So how do you know if someone here passing themselves of as a MVP is
>> actually a MVP?
>>
> If they are listed in the MVP.ORG site and you check the header of the
> news post and I'm not talking about the from header in the message but
> in the properties. This isn't always reliable but most probably the
> double check will eliminate spoofers.

mvp.org is NOT an MVP site. It is a ripoff site run by someone else.
mvps.org is run by MVPs, but the comprehensive list is on the Microsoft
site.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

A rhetorical question is always in question format..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> The value belongs to those who benefit from the advice given by folks who
>> volunteer their time to help others. Microsoft also benefits by having a
>> channel in which to propagate information. This is a means to correct
>> misinformation and misperceptions. MVP's are first of all communicators,
>> so the idea is to get information and guidance out to the community
>> through folks whom others have been looking to for advice all along.
>> Along the way MS provides sources to the MVP's so that they give accurate
>> and timely information to other members of the online community.
>>
> Was a rhetorical statement in a question format.

Goeff

I was a person sitting in front of a computer, answering queries where I
could.. for sure, my background of being a computer service engineer was and
is useful.. but I am still the same person, sitting in front of a screen,
answering queries where I can.. the major difference is that Microsoft has
rewarded me for what I just saw as humble efforts..

I was taken aback by an e-mail from a person who wanted to nominate me,
shocked at actually receiving the award, overwhelmed by the technical data
to which I now have access, humbled in that somebody out there considered me
good enough..

Being an MVP doesn't make me a better person.. I don't seek to upstage
anybody.. I don't want to wave my certificate in anybody's face.. I just
want to help people, and the certificate hanging on the wall indicates that
somebody thinks I do ok..

Of all the certificates that I have ever received, this one is the best.. I
didn't plan for it, swot up for it, ride over other people to get it.. it
just came out of the blue..

Greetings and felicitations from the Great White North to you and yours

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
> noticed
> some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
> sort of qualification?

Crikey! I wish I'd never asked!!!
I have to say that so far the advice given has been comprehensive and
gratefully accepted, and to think that people do this for no actual monetary
gain is encouraging for society!!!

> MVP's are required to sign a nondisclosure agreement and are then given
> access to MS sources and personnel in the areas of their MVP interest.
> Since many MVP's also make a living in these areas of interest, this has
> definite professional value.

> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
>>> knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.
>>

>> And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
>> get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be altruistic
>> then you are not altruistic.
>>
>> --
>> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
>> E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.

It's human nature to want to help another in need and to have the sense of
community in doing so.

> Crikey! I wish I'd never asked!!!
> I have to say that so far the advice given has been comprehensive and
> gratefully accepted, and to think that people do this for no actual
> monetary gain is encouraging for society!!!

>> MVP's are required to sign a nondisclosure agreement and are then given
>> access to MS sources and personnel in the areas of their MVP interest.
>> Since many MVP's also make a living in these areas of interest, this has
>> definite professional value.
>>
>> --
>> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
>>> get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be
>>> altruistic then you are not altruistic.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
>>> E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.

Happy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

I have been most impressed by the speed, accuracy, and care with which most
MVP's respond to questions, regardless of how repetitive or stupid the
questions may be. And not just MVP's-- I have heard from a broad range of
people, and you know, there has been the occasional time (very occasional )
that I have been able to supply an answer!
Anyway, thanks to all, keep up the good work!
"Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Crikey! I wish I'd never asked!!!
> I have to say that so far the advice given has been comprehensive and
> gratefully accepted, and to think that people do this for no actual
> monetary gain is encouraging for society!!!

>> MVP's are required to sign a nondisclosure agreement and are then given
>> access to MS sources and personnel in the areas of their MVP interest.
>> Since many MVP's also make a living in these areas of interest, this has
>> definite professional value.
>>
>> --
>> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
>>> get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be
>>> altruistic then you are not altruistic.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
>>> E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.

Colin

You're forgetting the annual bun fight in Seattle <g>. Usually in
February!

--

Regards.

Gerry