MVP?

Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
noticed
some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
sort of qualification?
33 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Geoff A. wrote:
    > Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
    > noticed
    > some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
    > sort of qualification?

    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message news:uOx$rmGDFHA.520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Geoff A. wrote:
    >> Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
    >> noticed
    >> some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
    >> sort of qualification?
    >>

    > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    How do you get Microsoft Most Valued Professional from the MVP acronym; shouldn't that then be MMVP?

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > Geoff A. wrote:
    >
    >> Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
    >> noticed
    >> some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
    >> sort of qualification?
    >>

    > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
    knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.

    The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP, or Office, but it doesn't amount to a great deal, if you were to figure in a years time per se. It is a voluntary program, with some rewards, but MS acknowledges NO affiliation with the MVPs or tkae responsibility for advice given, other than providing their servers for peer to peer advice.

    "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message news:ibsNd.4618$Tt.3928@fed1read05...
    > Bruce Chambers wrote:
    >> Geoff A. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
    >>> noticed
    >>> some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
    >>> sort of qualification?
    >>>

    >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>
    > So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
    > knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.

    The value belongs to those who benefit from the advice given by folks who
    volunteer their time to help others. Microsoft also benefits by having a
    channel in which to propagate information. This is a means to correct
    misinformation and misperceptions. MVP's are first of all communicators, so
    the idea is to get information and guidance out to the community through
    folks whom others have been looking to for advice all along. Along the way
    MS provides sources to the MVP's so that they give accurate and timely
    information to other members of the online community.

    "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Bruce Chambers wrote:
    >> Geoff A. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
    >>> noticed
    >>> some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
    >>> sort of qualification?
    >>>

    >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>
    > So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
    > knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.

    "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message

    >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>
    > So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
    > knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.

    And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
    get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be
    altruistic then you are not altruistic.

    Tom wrote:
    > The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP, or Office, but it doesn't amount to a great deal, if you were to figure in a years time per se. It is a voluntary program, with some rewards, but MS acknowledges NO affiliation with the MVPs or tkae responsibility for advice given, other than providing their servers for peer to peer advice.
    >
    > "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message news:ibsNd.4618$Tt.3928@fed1read05...
    >
    >>Bruce Chambers wrote:

    >>>Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    >>>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>>

    >>So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
    >>knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.

    "The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP"
    This is amazing and I got close to getting free software from MS. I got
    the choice of buying a suite in the Home User Program. MS Office
    Professional was offered for $21.95 in either XP/2003/Mac versions.
    Makes you wonder about the mark up.

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > The value belongs to those who benefit from the advice given by folks who
    > volunteer their time to help others. Microsoft also benefits by having a
    > channel in which to propagate information. This is a means to correct
    > misinformation and misperceptions. MVP's are first of all communicators, so
    > the idea is to get information and guidance out to the community through
    > folks whom others have been looking to for advice all along. Along the way
    > MS provides sources to the MVP's so that they give accurate and timely
    > information to other members of the online community.

    Was a rhetorical statement in a question format.

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>>
    >> So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
    >> knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.
    >

    > And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
    > get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be
    > altruistic then you are not altruistic.

    Actually I didn't write this but I did say check the MVp.ORG site and
    check the headers in the properties of the post.

    MVP's are required to sign a nondisclosure agreement and are then given
    access to MS sources and personnel in the areas of their MVP interest.
    Since many MVP's also make a living in these areas of interest, this has
    definite professional value.

    "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>>
    >> So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
    >> knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.
    >

    > And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
    > get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be altruistic
    > then you are not altruistic.

    > Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
    > E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.

    I guess you have a point; as MS does save money by not directly paying the MVPs (or anyone here, since anyone on a PC with interent access can ask, or give here), and giving away software at great discounts is certainly much cheaper thna paying a salary. That said, MS also (probably) saves money not having to pay actual tech support, with having and promoting these programs like MS MVPs.

    I do think their software is expensive, but they do put a great deal into it, and it does cost money to have people write the software, then keep writing updates to it. I really don't have too much of a problem with MS prices, but I would if they had their software writers working in India, and the like, while not passing on the savings. I will say one thing, the tech support (especially email support) for my Office 2003 has been horrendous, and I let them know it in no uncertain terms.

    "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message news:gvsNd.4625$Tt.1675@fed1read05...
    > Tom wrote:
    >> The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP, or Office, but it doesn't amount to a great deal, if you were to figure in a years time per se. It is a voluntary program, with some rewards, but MS acknowledges NO affiliation with the MVPs or tkae responsibility for advice given, other than providing their servers for peer to peer advice.

    >>>So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
    >>>knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.
    >
    > "The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP"
    > This is amazing and I got close to getting free software from MS. I got
    > the choice of buying a suite in the Home User Program. MS Office
    > Professional was offered for $21.95 in either XP/2003/Mac versions.
    > Makes you wonder about the mark up.

    Actually my comments were an addition to the thread and not a response to
    yours. I enjoyed your contribution too.

    Tom wrote:
    > I guess you have a point; as MS does save money by not directly paying the MVPs (or anyone here, since anyone on a PC with interent access can ask, or give here), and giving away software at great discounts is certainly much cheaper thna paying a salary. That said, MS also (probably) saves money not having to pay actual tech support, with having and promoting these programs like MS MVPs.
    >
    > I do think their software is expensive, but they do put a great deal into it, and it does cost money to have people write the software, then keep writing updates to it. I really don't have too much of a problem with MS prices, but I would if they had their software writers working in India, and the like, while not passing on the savings. I will say one thing, the tech support (especially email support) for my Office 2003 has been horrendous, and I let them know it in no uncertain terms.
    >
    > "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message news:gvsNd.4625$Tt.1675@fed1read05...
    >
    >>Tom wrote:
    >>
    >>>The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP, or Office, but it doesn't amount to a great deal, if you were to figure in a years time per se. It is a voluntary program, with some rewards, but MS acknowledges NO affiliation with the MVPs or tkae responsibility for advice given, other than providing their servers for peer to peer advice.

    >>"The MVPs do get free stuff from MS, i.e expensive software like XP"
    >>This is amazing and I got close to getting free software from MS. I got
    >>the choice of buying a suite in the Home User Program. MS Office
    >>Professional was offered for $21.95 in either XP/2003/Mac versions.
    >>Makes you wonder about the mark up.
    Funny you mention India, are they branching out there with their New
    Microsoft Research India Facility?

    So how do you know if someone here passing themselves of as a MVP is
    actually a MVP?

    Robert Jacobs wrote:
    > So how do you know if someone here passing themselves of as a MVP is
    > actually a MVP?

    >>Actually my comments were an addition to the thread and not a response to
    >>yours. I enjoyed your contribution too.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    >>(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    >>"Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>>Was a rhetorical statement in a question format.

    If they are listed in the MVP.ORG site and you check the header of the
    news post and I'm not talking about the from header in the message but
    in the properties. This isn't always reliable but most probably the
    double check will eliminate spoofers.

    Robert Jacobs wrote:
    > So how do you know if someone here passing themselves of as a MVP is
    > actually a MVP?

    You ask to see their secret decoder ring...

    Bill

    Robert Jacobs wrote:
    > So how do you know if someone here passing themselves of as a MVP is
    > actually a MVP?

    In most cases, just search for the suspect name on the MVP site. Some
    MVPs post under "stage names," so to speak, but must use their real
    names in Usenet.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpaward&style=TOC

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > Robert Jacobs wrote:
    >> So how do you know if someone here passing themselves of as a MVP is
    >> actually a MVP?
    >>
    > If they are listed in the MVP.ORG site and you check the header of the
    > news post and I'm not talking about the from header in the message but
    > in the properties. This isn't always reliable but most probably the
    > double check will eliminate spoofers.

    mvp.org is NOT an MVP site. It is a ripoff site run by someone else.
    mvps.org is run by MVPs, but the comprehensive list is on the Microsoft
    site.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    A rhetorical question is always in question format..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> The value belongs to those who benefit from the advice given by folks who
    >> volunteer their time to help others. Microsoft also benefits by having a
    >> channel in which to propagate information. This is a means to correct
    >> misinformation and misperceptions. MVP's are first of all communicators,
    >> so the idea is to get information and guidance out to the community
    >> through folks whom others have been looking to for advice all along.
    >> Along the way MS provides sources to the MVP's so that they give accurate
    >> and timely information to other members of the online community.
    >>
    > Was a rhetorical statement in a question format.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Goeff

    I was a person sitting in front of a computer, answering queries where I
    could.. for sure, my background of being a computer service engineer was and
    is useful.. but I am still the same person, sitting in front of a screen,
    answering queries where I can.. the major difference is that Microsoft has
    rewarded me for what I just saw as humble efforts..

    I was taken aback by an e-mail from a person who wanted to nominate me,
    shocked at actually receiving the award, overwhelmed by the technical data
    to which I now have access, humbled in that somebody out there considered me
    good enough..

    Being an MVP doesn't make me a better person.. I don't seek to upstage
    anybody.. I don't want to wave my certificate in anybody's face.. I just
    want to help people, and the certificate hanging on the wall indicates that
    somebody thinks I do ok..

    Of all the certificates that I have ever received, this one is the best.. I
    didn't plan for it, swot up for it, ride over other people to get it.. it
    just came out of the blue..

    Greetings and felicitations from the Great White North to you and yours

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > Could someone tell me what MVP means? I'm new to newsgroups, and have
    > noticed
    > some replies from people with these letters after their name. Is it some
    > sort of qualification?

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Crikey! I wish I'd never asked!!!
    I have to say that so far the advice given has been comprehensive and
    gratefully accepted, and to think that people do this for no actual monetary
    gain is encouraging for society!!!

    > MVP's are required to sign a nondisclosure agreement and are then given
    > access to MS sources and personnel in the areas of their MVP interest.
    > Since many MVP's also make a living in these areas of interest, this has
    > definite professional value.

    > "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>> So, to whom does the value belong to if MS doesn't pay these non-MS
    >>> knowledgable professionals. MS and the OP get a lot for nothing.
    >>

    >> And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
    >> get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be altruistic
    >> then you are not altruistic.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
    >> E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    It's human nature to want to help another in need and to have the sense of
    community in doing so.

    > Crikey! I wish I'd never asked!!!
    > I have to say that so far the advice given has been comprehensive and
    > gratefully accepted, and to think that people do this for no actual
    > monetary gain is encouraging for society!!!

    >> MVP's are required to sign a nondisclosure agreement and are then given
    >> access to MS sources and personnel in the areas of their MVP interest.
    >> Since many MVP's also make a living in these areas of interest, this has
    >> definite professional value.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>> And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
    >>> get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be
    >>> altruistic then you are not altruistic.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
    >>> E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I have been most impressed by the speed, accuracy, and care with which most
    MVP's respond to questions, regardless of how repetitive or stupid the
    questions may be. And not just MVP's-- I have heard from a broad range of
    people, and you know, there has been the occasional time (very occasional )
    that I have been able to supply an answer!
    Anyway, thanks to all, keep up the good work!
    "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > Crikey! I wish I'd never asked!!!
    > I have to say that so far the advice given has been comprehensive and
    > gratefully accepted, and to think that people do this for no actual
    > monetary gain is encouraging for society!!!

    >> MVP's are required to sign a nondisclosure agreement and are then given
    >> access to MS sources and personnel in the areas of their MVP interest.
    >> Since many MVP's also make a living in these areas of interest, this has
    >> definite professional value.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>> And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
    >>> get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be
    >>> altruistic then you are not altruistic.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
    >>> E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Colin

    You're forgetting the annual bun fight in Seattle <g>. Usually in
    February!

    --

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > It's human nature to want to help another in need and to have the
    > sense of community in doing so.

    > "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    >> Crikey! I wish I'd never asked!!!
    >> I have to say that so far the advice given has been comprehensive and
    >> gratefully accepted, and to think that people do this for no actual
    >> monetary gain is encouraging for society!!!
    >>
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> MVP's are required to sign a nondisclosure agreement and are then
    >>> given access to MS sources and personnel in the areas of their MVP
    >>> interest. Since many MVP's also make a living in these areas of
    >>> interest, this has definite professional value.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    :)

    "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
    > Colin
    >
    > You're forgetting the annual bun fight in Seattle <g>. Usually in
    > February!
    >
    > --
    >

    > Regards.
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    >> It's human nature to want to help another in need and to have the sense
    >> of community in doing so.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    >>> Crikey! I wish I'd never asked!!!
    >>> I have to say that so far the advice given has been comprehensive and
    >>> gratefully accepted, and to think that people do this for no actual
    >>> monetary gain is encouraging for society!!!
    >>>
    >>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote:

    >And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
    >get for all their time and effort?

    If they consistently provide good advice over an extended period of
    time (e.g. 1 year) then they will probably find that they are
    nominated for the MVP award for that year's work.

    The award is given annually, based on the past years quantity and
    quality of volunteer assistance provided in the newsgroups and other
    support forums.

    >If you need a reward to be altruistic then you are not altruistic.

    True. And if Microsoft were to cancel the MVP program you would find
    that the vast majority of MVPs would continue to provide the same
    quantity and quality of assistance, just as they did prior to
    receiving the MVP award.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message

    > And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
    > get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be altruistic
    > then you are not altruistic.

    I posted a question years ago, after I had trouble with Audio CDs playing on
    my machine - that was back in 1999. I found it hard to pull myself away.
    Now It's just a place to hang, answer questions as they come up, ask
    something when I need to.

    I spend probably on average an hour a day just replying to people, not in
    this group but in other XP groups, but I also spend probably double that
    time soaking up bucket loads of information - that's what I get out of it -
    and I'm not an MVP.

    Plus it's always a nice buzz when you really help someone out of a tricky
    situation.

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > A rhetorical question is always in question format..

    I'm glad you picked up on the redundancy.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Greetings and felicitations from the Great White North to you and yours

    What part? I'm in Duncan BC.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Vankleek Hill, Eastern Ottawa Valley, Ontario (poutine country)..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>Greetings and felicitations from the Great White North to you and yours
    >
    > What part? I'm in Duncan BC.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I'll agree with you there Paul, and I have gathered a lot of useful
    information along the way.
    I know I have made lots of friends among the groups and enjoy the buzz
    as you say when I'm able to offer help to someone else.
    Joan

    Paul Smith wrote:

    > I spend probably on average an hour a day just replying to people, not in
    > this group but in other XP groups, but I also spend probably double that
    > time soaking up bucket loads of information - that's what I get out of it -
    > and I'm not an MVP.
    >
    > Plus it's always a nice buzz when you really help someone out of a tricky
    > situation.

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Vanguard wrote:

    >And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these newsgroups
    >get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward to be
    >altruistic then you are not altruistic.

    It is only when you have been doing it effectively and helpfully and
    entirely voluntarily for a substantial time (say a year) that Microsoft
    considers an award. Even then it may not be made - or not immediately.
    Those who get and deserve it have generally not been looking for it and
    are often surprised.

    One then gets some minor rewards - a certificate, a modest gift, some
    free software, and an invitation to an annual 'summit' meeting (and
    possibly some local ones). But trying to put a value on these, if I
    compare with the price of doing what I do at consultancy rates, the term
    'peanuts' comes to mind

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Alex Nichol" <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote in message
    > Vanguard wrote:
    >

    >> And what do the all the volunteers that provide help in these
    >> newsgroups get for all their time and effort? If you need a reward
    >> to be altruistic then you are not altruistic.
    >
    > It is only when you have been doing it effectively and helpfully and
    > entirely voluntarily for a substantial time (say a year) that
    > Microsoft considers an award. Even then it may not be made - or not
    > immediately. Those who get and deserve it have generally not been
    > looking for it and are often surprised.

    I know of cases where it has been necessary to talk someone into accepting
    the award.

    > One then gets some minor rewards - a certificate, a modest gift, some
    > free software, and an invitation to an annual 'summit' meeting (and
    > possibly some local ones). But trying to put a value on these, if I
    > compare with the price of doing what I do at consultancy rates, the
    > term 'peanuts' comes to mind

    But pay your own transportation to the meetings.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Newsgroup Microsoft Windows XP