disk defragmenter

is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using the
one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
--
cynde
16 answers Last reply

    Why do you feel the ME defragger is better for you than the one in XP? Why
    do think it is in fact different? Why don't you tell us what concerns you
    about the XP defragger?

    "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
    > the
    > one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    > --
    > cynde

    Raxco PerfectDisk is superior to most defrag utilities available
    http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
    the
    > one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    > --
    > cynde

    If you're not happy with the way the XP defrag works and want to "improve"
    what the screen tells you, but is not necessarily what it has actually
    done - or something similar, have a look ar Diskeeper, which is the
    full-blown version of the basic defrag prog written and supplied under
    contract to MS for XP. Very flexible, lots of fine-tuning options.
    http://www.executive.com/coverpage.asp

    --

    johnf

    > Why do you feel the ME defragger is better for you than the one in XP? Why
    > do think it is in fact different? Why don't you tell us what
    > concerns you about the XP defragger?

    > "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
    >> the
    >> one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    >> --
    >> cynde

    I agree heartily. You can download a 30-trial of Diskeeper 9.

    "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    > If you're not happy with the way the XP defrag works and want to "improve"
    > what the screen tells you, but is not necessarily what it has actually
    > done - or something similar, have a look ar Diskeeper, which is the
    > full-blown version of the basic defrag prog written and supplied under
    > contract to MS for XP. Very flexible, lots of fine-tuning options.
    > http://www.executive.com/coverpage.asp
    >

    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> Why do you feel the ME defragger is better for you than the one in XP?
    >> Why do think it is in fact different? Why don't you tell us what
    >> concerns you about the XP defragger?
    >>
    >> --
    >> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
    >>> the
    >>> one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    >>> --
    >>> cynde

    Sorry, Harry, never heard of it.
    Do you know where I can find comparisons/advantages on the net between the
    Raxko one & Diskeeper Pro9?

    --

    johnf

    > Raxco PerfectDisk is superior to most defrag utilities available
    > http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of
    >> using the one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    >> --
    >> cynde

    Download the trial versions and try them both. For Diskeeper 9:
    http://www.executive.com/downloads/downloads-r.asp

    For Raxco Perfectdisk:
    http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/

    > Sorry, Harry, never heard of it.
    > Do you know where I can find comparisons/advantages on the net between the
    > Raxko one & Diskeeper Pro9?
    >

    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> Raxco PerfectDisk is superior to most defrag utilities available
    >> http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of
    >>> using the one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    >>> --
    >>> cynde

    John you'll need a pdf reader. Adobe reader should do then click
    http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/performancetesting/PD7_DK9_Defragmentation_Performance_Test.pdf

    http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/performancetesting/PD7_DM3_Defragmentation_Performance_Test.pdf

    http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/wp.cfm
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    > Sorry, Harry, never heard of it.
    > Do you know where I can find comparisons/advantages on the net between the
    > Raxko one & Diskeeper Pro9?
    >

    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    > > Raxco PerfectDisk is superior to most defrag utilities available
    > > http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >

    > > "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of
    > >> using the one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    > >> --
    > >> cynde

    Thanks very much, Harry.

    --

    johnf

    > John you'll need a pdf reader. Adobe reader should do then click
    > http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/performancetesting/PD7_DK9_Defragmentation_Performance_Test.pdf
    >
    > http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/performancetesting/PD7_DM3_Defragmentation_Performance_Test.pdf
    >
    > http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/wp.cfm
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> Sorry, Harry, never heard of it.
    >> Do you know where I can find comparisons/advantages on the net between
    >> the Raxko one & Diskeeper Pro9?
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >> > Raxco PerfectDisk is superior to most defrag utilities available
    >> > http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >> >

    >> > "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    I would suggest "not" using the WinME defragging utility on a WinXP box,
    especially if XP is formatted NTFS, as the ME defrag utility has no clue how
    to handle it as it (ME defragger) was written for FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32
    formats. You may or shall I say, most likely end up with a "garbage"
    partition or drive, providing you can even get it to run.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
    the
    > one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    > --
    > cynde

    I won't run on XP

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:e0tPStXDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > I would suggest "not" using the WinME defragging utility on a WinXP box,
    > especially if XP is formatted NTFS, as the ME defrag utility has no clue
    how
    > to handle it as it (ME defragger) was written for FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32
    > formats. You may or shall I say, most likely end up with a "garbage"
    > partition or drive, providing you can even get it to run.
    >
    > --
    > Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    > "Google is your Friend!"
    > www.google.com

    > "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
    > the
    > > one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    > > --
    > > cynde

    Try treading carefully :-)

    --

    johnf

    >I won't run on XP
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:e0tPStXDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> I would suggest "not" using the WinME defragging utility on a WinXP
    >> box, especially if XP is formatted NTFS, as the ME defrag utility has
    >> no clue how to handle it as it (ME defragger) was written for FAT12,
    >> FAT16 and FAT32 formats. You may or shall I say, most likely end up
    >> with a "garbage" partition or drive, providing you can even get it to
    >> run.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    >> "Google is your Friend!"
    >> www.google.com

    >> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of
    >> > using the one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    >> > --
    >> > cynde

    Didnt say it was better just asked cause i like it sorry for the question to
    you!!

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Why do you feel the ME defragger is better for you than the one in XP? Why
    > do think it is in fact different? Why don't you tell us what concerns you
    > about the XP defragger?

    > "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
    > > the
    > > one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
    > > --
    > > cynde

    What's wrong with using windows disk defragmenter ?

    > Try treading carefully :-)
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    > >I won't run on XP
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >

    > > "Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
    > > message news:e0tPStXDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > >> I would suggest "not" using the WinME defragging utility on a WinXP
    > >> box, especially if XP is formatted NTFS, as the ME defrag utility has
    > >> no clue how to handle it as it (ME defragger) was written for FAT12,
    > >> FAT16 and FAT32 formats. You may or shall I say, most likely end up
    > >> with a "garbage" partition or drive, providing you can even get it to
    > >> run.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    > >> "Google is your Friend!"
    > >> www.google.com
    > >>
    > >> ***********************************************
    > >>
    > >> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Nothing. I don't, but only because I use it's big brother, Diskeeper 9. It
    allows me to let the defragger monitor my hard drive for me and run on an
    as-needed basis.

    "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > What's wrong with using windows disk defragmenter ?
    >

    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> Try treading carefully :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >> >I won't run on XP
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >> >

    >> > "Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote
    >> > in
    >> > message news:e0tPStXDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > What's wrong with using windows disk defragmenter ?
    >

    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> Try treading carefully :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >> >I won't run on XP
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >> >

    >> > "Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote
    >> > in
    >> > message news:e0tPStXDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    nothing at all - does a good job - don't bother with 3rd party defraggers -
    where you may gain an inch of HD speed - you will loose other resources.
    Memory, CPU usage etc - slows you down

    Diskeeper 9 has a very intelligent background engine. Before you assume it
    slows things down, you want to read the white paper on the Executive
    Software site. It is a very light application. It has some tools and
    analyzers that make it worth the $20 to me.

    "James" <James@REMOVEMEtamarsolutions.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> What's wrong with using windows disk defragmenter ?
    >>

    >> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >>> Try treading carefully :-)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> johnf

    > nothing at all - does a good job - don't bother with 3rd party
    > defraggers - where you may gain an inch of HD speed - you will loose other
    > resources. Memory, CPU usage etc - slows you down

Microsoft Windows XP