disk defragmenter

February 6, 2005 12:15:08 PM

is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using the
one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
--
cynde

More about : disk defragmenter

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:38:42 PM

Why do you feel the ME defragger is better for you than the one in XP? Why
do think it is in fact different? Why don't you tell us what concerns you
about the XP defragger?

"cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
> the
> one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
> --
> cynde
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:28:27 PM

Raxco PerfectDisk is superior to most defrag utilities available
http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
the
> one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
> --
> cynde
Related resources
February 7, 2005 12:10:26 PM

If you're not happy with the way the XP defrag works and want to "improve"
what the screen tells you, but is not necessarily what it has actually
done - or something similar, have a look ar Diskeeper, which is the
full-blown version of the basic defrag prog written and supplied under
contract to MS for XP. Very flexible, lots of fine-tuning options.
http://www.executive.com/coverpage.asp

--

johnf

> Why do you feel the ME defragger is better for you than the one in XP? Why
> do think it is in fact different? Why don't you tell us what
> concerns you about the XP defragger?

> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
>> the
>> one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
>> --
>> cynde
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:10:27 PM

I agree heartily. You can download a 30-trial of Diskeeper 9.

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> If you're not happy with the way the XP defrag works and want to "improve"
> what the screen tells you, but is not necessarily what it has actually
> done - or something similar, have a look ar Diskeeper, which is the
> full-blown version of the basic defrag prog written and supplied under
> contract to MS for XP. Very flexible, lots of fine-tuning options.
> http://www.executive.com/coverpage.asp
>

> --
>
> johnf
>
>> Why do you feel the ME defragger is better for you than the one in XP?
>> Why do think it is in fact different? Why don't you tell us what
>> concerns you about the XP defragger?
>>
>> --
>> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
>>> the
>>> one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
>>> --
>>> cynde

February 7, 2005 4:33:40 PM

Sorry, Harry, never heard of it.
Do you know where I can find comparisons/advantages on the net between the
Raxko one & Diskeeper Pro9?

--

johnf

> Raxco PerfectDisk is superior to most defrag utilities available
> http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of
>> using the one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
>> --
>> cynde
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:33:41 PM

Download the trial versions and try them both. For Diskeeper 9:
http://www.executive.com/downloads/downloads-r.asp

For Raxco Perfectdisk:
http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
news:o rUzu1LDFHA.1628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Sorry, Harry, never heard of it.
> Do you know where I can find comparisons/advantages on the net between the
> Raxko one & Diskeeper Pro9?
>

> --
>
> johnf
>
>> Raxco PerfectDisk is superior to most defrag utilities available
>> http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>

>> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of
>>> using the one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
>>> --
>>> cynde

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:33:41 PM

John you'll need a pdf reader. Adobe reader should do then click
http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/performance...

http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/performance...

http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/wp.cfm
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
news:o rUzu1LDFHA.1628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Sorry, Harry, never heard of it.
> Do you know where I can find comparisons/advantages on the net between the
> Raxko one & Diskeeper Pro9?
>

> --
>
> johnf
>
> > Raxco PerfectDisk is superior to most defrag utilities available
> > http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of
> >> using the one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
> >> --
> >> cynde

February 7, 2005 5:57:30 PM

Thanks very much, Harry.

--

johnf

> John you'll need a pdf reader. Adobe reader should do then click
> http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/performance...
>
> http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/performance...
>
> http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/wp.cfm
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> news:o rUzu1LDFHA.1628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Sorry, Harry, never heard of it.
>> Do you know where I can find comparisons/advantages on the net between
>> the Raxko one & Diskeeper Pro9?
>>

>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>> > Raxco PerfectDisk is superior to most defrag utilities available
>> > http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>> >

>> > "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:12:54 PM

I would suggest "not" using the WinME defragging utility on a WinXP box,
especially if XP is formatted NTFS, as the ME defrag utility has no clue how
to handle it as it (ME defragger) was written for FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32
formats. You may or shall I say, most likely end up with a "garbage"
partition or drive, providing you can even get it to run.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
the
> one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
> --
> cynde
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:13:54 AM

I won't run on XP

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:e0tPStXDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I would suggest "not" using the WinME defragging utility on a WinXP box,
> especially if XP is formatted NTFS, as the ME defrag utility has no clue
how
> to handle it as it (ME defragger) was written for FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32
> formats. You may or shall I say, most likely end up with a "garbage"
> partition or drive, providing you can even get it to run.
>
> --
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
> "Google is your Friend!"
> www.google.com

> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
> the
> > one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
> > --
> > cynde

February 8, 2005 10:33:00 PM

Try treading carefully :-)

--

johnf

>I won't run on XP
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:e0tPStXDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> I would suggest "not" using the WinME defragging utility on a WinXP
>> box, especially if XP is formatted NTFS, as the ME defrag utility has
>> no clue how to handle it as it (ME defragger) was written for FAT12,
>> FAT16 and FAT32 formats. You may or shall I say, most likely end up
>> with a "garbage" partition or drive, providing you can even get it to
>> run.
>>
>> --
>> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
>> "Google is your Friend!"
>> www.google.com

>> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of
>> > using the one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
>> > --
>> > cynde
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 12:15:03 AM

Didnt say it was better just asked cause i like it sorry for the question to
you!!

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Why do you feel the ME defragger is better for you than the one in XP? Why
> do think it is in fact different? Why don't you tell us what concerns you
> about the XP defragger?

> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > is it possible to load the disk defrag from windowa me instead of using
> > the
> > one from XP, if so can i download it from somewhere?
> > --
> > cynde

February 16, 2005 8:37:58 PM

What's wrong with using windows disk defragmenter ?

> Try treading carefully :-)
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
> >I won't run on XP
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
> > message news:e0tPStXDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> I would suggest "not" using the WinME defragging utility on a WinXP
> >> box, especially if XP is formatted NTFS, as the ME defrag utility has
> >> no clue how to handle it as it (ME defragger) was written for FAT12,
> >> FAT16 and FAT32 formats. You may or shall I say, most likely end up
> >> with a "garbage" partition or drive, providing you can even get it to
> >> run.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
> >> "Google is your Friend!"
> >> www.google.com
> >>
> >> ***********************************************
> >>
> >> "cynde" <caayars@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:37:59 PM

Nothing. I don't, but only because I use it's big brother, Diskeeper 9. It
allows me to let the defragger monitor my hard drive for me and run on an
as-needed basis.

"newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
> What's wrong with using windows disk defragmenter ?
>

> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>> Try treading carefully :-)
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>> >I won't run on XP
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>> >

>> > "Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote
>> > in
>> > message news:e0tPStXDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

February 16, 2005 11:16:00 PM

"newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
> What's wrong with using windows disk defragmenter ?
>

> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>> Try treading carefully :-)
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>> >I won't run on XP
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>> >

>> > "Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote
>> > in
>> > message news:e0tPStXDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

nothing at all - does a good job - don't bother with 3rd party defraggers -
where you may gain an inch of HD speed - you will loose other resources.
Memory, CPU usage etc - slows you down

February 16, 2005 11:16:01 PM

Diskeeper 9 has a very intelligent background engine. Before you assume it
slows things down, you want to read the white paper on the Executive
Software site. It is a very light application. It has some tools and
analyzers that make it worth the $20 to me.