E6600
P5B Deluxe
2x1gig Corsair DDR2-800 cl4
320GB 7200.10 Seagate
x1950 Pro
Enermax Liberty 620W
Gigabyte Aurora 3D
Scythe NinjaPlus

I have heard that cl4 Ram can have issues with P965 boards and also that P965 boards don't handle the 4MB of cache as well as 975X boards. Is this true? And another related question even if it doesn't quite belong in this forum, is it even worth getting cl4 RAM? I am planning to overclock but what speeds would I have to overclock to for the cl4 to even make a difference? Also I am building this system to last for 2+ years (except the graphics card and maybe some extra HDDs) so is it likely that cl4 will have greater advantages over cl5 in the future?

My other option for a motherboard is the P5W DH but its costs me an extra $85 (I live in New Zealand) so unless I'm going to get much of a performance increase I'd rather stay wit the P5B Deluxe.

And what is the maximum FSB possible with the P5B Deluxe?

Oh yeah I have an old 300GB IDE HDD. Is it possible to use it with the P5B Deluxe (or the P5W DH for that matter)? Both these boards say 1xIDE in their specs but seeing as the DVDRW drive is IDE can both be connected to it? (This will be the first computer I have built if you haven't worked that out already)

Cheers

MrLazy

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
With regards to the Memory, I recently did a new build with the P5B Deluxe and Corsair CL4 Memory. It works fine. It'll default to 5-5-5-18 @ 1.9V and can be changed in the BIOS to 4-4-4-12 @2.1V. Previous problems with CL4 sticks have been ironed out with the more recent BIOS revisions.

G

Regarding the motherboard, go with P5B, it handles 4meg cpu really well, max FSB is upward of 500 more then you should need. For what you will be doing I would say the P5B-Dlx si the better choice for the price.

It's been mentionned, but the ram will underclock and loosen it's timming so it runs fine. Just need to change it in bios.

I would say that Cl4 is worth it if you want to OC and keep the timing tight.

You only have one IDE channel so you could plug the HD and the DVD no problem, especially if it is you storage HD no biggie, might be hard to wire it properly though.

Sczee

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Regarding the motherboard, go with P5B, it handles 4meg cpu really well, max FSB is upward of 500 more then you should need. For what you will be doing I would say the P5B-Dlx si the better choice for the price.

It's been mentionned, but the ram will underclock and loosen it's timming so it runs fine. Just need to change it in bios.

I would say that Cl4 is worth it if you want to OC and keep the timing tight.

You only have one IDE channel so you could plug the HD and the DVD no problem, especially if it is you storage HD no biggie, might be hard to wire it properly though.

Thanks for the reply, cl4 and P5B it is. I was thinking if it was too hard to wire the HDD and the DVDRW drive I could put the HDD in one of the external 3.5" bays but leave the front bezel on. That should make the wiring easier but I'm not sure if it would fit, or if it would get enough cooling. And yeah it is a storage drive.

tomhole

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Just get a $35 SATA DVD drive and ditch the IDE one. You can plug the IDE drive in if you want or just leave it out. Your choice.

The P5B Deluxe and CL4 RAM will serve you well for many years. I have been to 500 FSB and 3.8GHz with my e6700. I run 3.2GHz daily. Not a gamer, just a tinkerer.

Tom

tomhole

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Stable enough to boot into windows and run internet and stuff, but not stable enough to run any benchmarks or games. And I didn't go to both at the same time. I was at 500 FSB and 3 GHz (x6), and 475 FSB and 3.8GHz (x7). Voltages and temps were too high for me to justify for my use (1.55 Vcore, 1.55 FSB, 1.65 nb). To be honest, I'm not sure what going that high on a FSB buys you. Didn't see much of a perf gain anywhere when I went from 400 3.6GHz to 475 3.8GHz. Not worth the extra wear and tear, IMHO. I have settled on 400 FSB and 3.2 GHz (x8) as my 24/7 settings. Nice and cool with stock voltages.

Ever see the movie Spaceballs? 500FSB remids me of when they go to ludicrous speed. I half expected to start seeing plaid.

Tom

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Ever see the movie Spaceballs? 500FSB remids me of when they go to ludicrous speed. I half expected to start seeing plaid.

Tom
LOL, still love that movie. :D

Thanks for the explanation, always good to hear what others have done. 8)

I got new wallpaper from you, thanks!
That wouldn't be the 100 posts thread now would it. :wink: :lol:

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

Tom
LOL, still love that movie. :D

Thanks for the explanation, always good to hear what others have done. 8)

I got new wallpaper from you, thanks!
That wouldn't be the 100 posts thread now would it. :wink: :lol:

The one with the 2 big bouncy things and the bicycle in back.