GPO Software Update

I would like to know the best way to apply a patch to
software that was deployed with a GP.

We have MS Office assigned to computers. When a patch
comes out, I need to get the computers to do the update,
through the GP, but I don't want them to have to
completely reinstall Office. It takes too long.

Is there a way to do the update through a GP Software
deployment? I want to be able to update the installation
source as well.

Thanks,
Rob
1 answer Last reply
More about software update

    The recommended way to do this is to patch the installation point and then
    redeploy office, but as you say this is very time consuming for a package of
    the size of Office.

    A workaround could be to still maintain your installation point for new
    installs by patching this with new updates and not redeploy office, and then
    patch existing machines by installing the update from a startup script. You
    could use the Shell objects run method to execute the update.

    Here is a sample script you could build on.

    Dim oShell
    Set oShell=createobject("wscript.shell")
    oShell.run "\\MyServer\MyShare\MyofficeUpdateFolder\excel-FullFile-GLB.msp
    /qb"

    Hope this helps

    Regards

    Niclas Lindblom
    "Rob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to know the best way to apply a patch to
    > software that was deployed with a GP.
    >
    > We have MS Office assigned to computers. When a patch
    > comes out, I need to get the computers to do the update,
    > through the GP, but I don't want them to have to
    > completely reinstall Office. It takes too long.
    >
    > Is there a way to do the update through a GP Software
    > deployment? I want to be able to update the installation
    > source as well.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rob

Computers Microsoft Office Software Windows