Event ID: 1000
Date: 6/8/2004
Time: 10:40:24 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: FLNA04CZN0EF
The Group Policy client-side extension Application Management was passed flags (145) and returned a failure status code of (31).

Found a KB article 312164

Based on the info from knowledge base article decimal 145 is hex 91 which means the following flags are being passed:

#define GPO_INFO_FLAG_MACHINE 0x00000001 //
Apply machine policy rather than user policy
#define GPO_INFO_FLAG_BACKGROUND 0x00000010 //
Background refresh of policy (ok to do slow stuff)
#define GPO_INFO_FLAG_SLOWLINK 0x00000020 //
Policy is being applied across a slow link
#define GPO_INFO_FLAG_VERBOSE 0x00000040 //
Verbose output to the eventlog

net helpmsg 31 returns:

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Updated NIC driver. Rebooted machine. So far so good.