Help a guy spend some serious cash

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hi Guys

i am looking to build a new computer ...just got a job in a law firm and since i am still a bachelor well .. :wink:

so here is my present computer

AMD 3000 + venice 1 gb of ram ddr some generic make

Ati X1800 gto card 256 mb , 500 Watt psu , Xfi creative sound card with creative 7.1 speakers . 250 gb sata drive 7200 rpm

Now this is what i want to make .. a sli system 8800 gtx , intel core2d e6600

of course a 1000 watt psu , hmm 2 GB corsair i guess good fast ram as i dont have much of an idea about ram also i am planning on getting the nvidia 680 sli chipset board ..as i want to make a computer that for 2 years i dont have to get upgraded

also ill be getting a 30 inch dell display cause there is no point of a sli if i am going to game at 1600 x 1200

so do you guys think this rig is gonna last 2 years or do i need some additions :?:

thank you for reading (sorry for any spelling mistakes ) :)

edit after reading a few posts in this forum i have come to the conclusion that i am not for the moment going to get 2 8800 cards as according majority of the opinion this would be a waste at this time or in the near

future as no games will take advantage of it , so in the interest of not blocking cash unnecessarily i am just going to go with one care but still in a sli configuration, also i have read that there are certain issuses with the 680 i chipset so any other recommendations.

moogles

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
well you dont definately need 1000 watt to run a sli 8800gtx, i think i seen somewhere the corsair psu 620w one could run it. i never buy the high end products so i wouldnt know :(. but when you get a psu make sure its a good make. psu's with good efficiencies that i know of are Seasonic, Silverstone, Coolermaster, Enermax, Tagan, Etasis and Corsair (made by Seasonic). its good to get well known ram, but if your overclocking i've seen people reach ddr2 1050 with crucials 10th anniversary ram. i'm guessing your keeping the soundcard and hard drive, well thats what i'd do. also for your gtx's. i'd say get them with any company other than XFX. they tend to be fussy with RMA's and replacements withing warranty period. Oh yea. and for the case, latest with the best cooling i've seen is the Antec Nine Hundred. Thats all.
hope this helps.

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Well if you could wait a bit then in March i think there are going to be some serious price cuts and you could get a quad core or something for quite cheap, like $500 I think. If not then you might wanna get something like this:

PSU: 1000w is way overkill and not a wise way to spend your money. I would recomend a thermaltake toughpower 700W or 600W.

motherboard: I think this is a tough one yet it depends if you still want sli or not. the evga board has loads of problems so I wouldnt recomend it. A few I can think of are: asus p5b deluxe, P5N-E sli or abit AW9D which is a great board.

cpu: E6600 is a good choice

ram: 2gb of any good brand although you might wanna get 4gb :?: supertalent has good ram

HDD: you might wanna get 2 raptors and raid0 them to get great performance. Or two normal HDDs and raid0 them.

gfx card: 1 8800GTX is good, 2 is way overkill, atleast for the moment

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
okay i have seen TONS OF TONS of issues with P5N, next off, i have a System you might like, running 100% stable and PERFECT, no issues, not one SATA error from the start nothing. here are my specs

eVGA 680i Motherboard P24 BIOS

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600@3.4GHz

eVGA 8800GTX @640/1025 i have gotten the core too 675 before lockup from heat

2 Gigabytes Corsair XMS DDR2-800 C5

2 Samsung DVD burners

2 Western Digital 10,000RPM Raptors in JBOD Raid

1 Floppy drive

PC Power&Cooling 750 Watt Silencer PSU

Zalman 9500LED cooling

Windows XP Professional

Coolermaster CM Stacker case

that setup Works flawlessly and runs any game at 1600X1200 at MAX settings 4XAA 16XAF with HDR enabled. go buy those parts, have fun :) i do.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Lot of money to burn, lets see:

Case: Something of your own interest. Preferably a full tower. Ex: Thermaltake Armor or Kandalf

PSU: It would not be bad to have the 1000w PSU. I would recommend it seeing that the GTX's are power hogs. Better to have more power than not enough.

Motherboard: evGa 680i

Ram: 2GB of some fast ram, any of your taking. If you want over-the-top performance in that area, look for the Corsair Dominator series.

Harddrive: 150GB Raptor, for windows and selected games-500GB harddrive for storage and other purposes.

Graphics cards: 2x8800GTX's. If you wait about a couple of weeks or so, they might drop a little bit more in price due to Ati's release of their Flagship DX10 card.

The 2 Samsung DVD burners are fine.

Floppy drive for RAID.

CPU cooler: The zalman UAL selected is fine for good overclocking. You could introduce watercooling into this config, but expect to pay more.

Monitor: Dell 30'. Their ranging about 1,250 dollars now. Their new 27' series just came out. Its 1400, but boasts a 6ms response time unlike the Dell 30' has a 12ms response time I believe.

This system would last I would think a good year-and-a-half before its upgrade time. And not meaning upgrade all the parts either.

Have fun. :D

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hey Guys thanks a lot for the advice and i really appreciate it , i will be putting this rig together in a few months , basically because i am really busy with work :(

But ill keep u guys posted with whenever i buy a part of it and i am going to go the whole hog heheh

ill try posting bench marks and usual yada yada :)

cheers

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Good for you, coz as I said prices will be going down in the next months so youll get something better for the money