help E6600

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Hi i finaly got my system up and working, had some Ram troble. I got an Asus P5B-E plus, with a Core 2 Duo E6600. but when i run CpuZ it sais i only have one core and one thread. when i bootup the POST screen reports 2 cores.

do i need to do something in windows for it to register both cores? is there a way to tell if i fried one of the cores, (i havent OCed Yet)

thanks for any thoughts or help on the subject.
z.jpg

You probably need to buy another Windows XP license from Microsoft so that you can gain access to both cores.

I’m just kidding. Did I just give you a heart attack?

Windows XP should natively support multi-cores. If not then simply install Service Pack 2. The most likely cause is that you are using an outdated version of CPU-Z. Someone posted a similar question a couple of months ago and that person was definitely using an older version.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Well, if you guys click on the image, it clearly says Version 1.38 :wink:

Also, like others said, make sure you update XP to SP2.

If that doesn't work...

Faulty CPU???

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Can you drop down the box that says processor #1 and show a processor #2?

Each processor on a core2 will show as single thread since they don't support hyperthreading.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
This is what my E6600 CPUID and taskmanger look like.

Does your task manager look like this too?

It should have 2 CPU usage windows running. If not, then maybe you do need SP2 for your XP install.

My CPUID does show 2 cores and 2 threads, and it's running the same version as you, 1.38.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Man, I guess I'm the only one really observant here.

If you look at the image that the OP was so kindly to provide, you will see that the box is unselectable (notice the color).

NMDante, congratulations! You don't need an eye exam :tongue:

woollyjl

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Check under device manager:

Computer:

It should say ACPI Multiprocessor PC

If it just says ACPI Compliant PC (Compliant may be wrong word here its been a while) Then while installing Windows the wrong HAL was detected and you pretty much have no choice but to reinstall. Again its been a while since I had to do this but I believe when you are installing windows and the F6 option for Raid/SCSI drivers pops up you hit F5 instead and it will let you choose the HAL to install.

Before you do try a reinstall I would suggest first trying to figure out why it didn't detect the correct one in the first place. Update bios or whatever is needed.

Hope this helps

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I was the OS. I got a new HD so i decided to do a reinstall, and now it works phew! i was getting real worried there for a second.
Thanks for all the help