Where the GPO histroy data is stored

Hi,

I have a doubt in GPO data storage. When a computer object in a OU is
moved out of the scope, then all the settings applied to it through
GPO is reverted back. For doing this it will need the (existing value
- history) previous data to be reverted. I checked with the local
machine it is not stored there.. any idea where the data is stored..

Mike
1 answer Last reply
More about where histroy data stored

    In article <fbe71d00.0406092348.3ff49eef@posting.google.com>,
    mkvaugh@yahoo.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a doubt in GPO data storage. When a computer object in a OU is
    > moved out of the scope, then all the settings applied to it through
    > GPO is reverted back. For doing this it will need the (existing value
    > - history) previous data to be reverted. I checked with the local
    > machine it is not stored there.. any idea where the data is stored..
    >
    > Mike

    Hi Mike,
    You have observed the expected behaviour of Group Policy. Basically that
    was the whole idea - to avoid the "tatooing" of the registry that
    occured with Windows NT 4.0 system policies. Put in a nutshell, GP
    doesn't write directly to the specific registry key but rather to two
    (actually 4 - two for HKLM and HKCU) specific to group policy registry
    branches. These are called "true policies" while the ones that write
    directly to the registry key are called "preferences". True policies
    take precedence over preferences. For further (and much detailed)
    information refer to (URLs wrap):

    What Is Administrative Templates Extension?
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/te
    chref/en-us/Default.asp?
    url=/resources/documentation/windowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-
    us/w2k3tr_gpadm_what.asp

    How Administrative Templates Extension Works
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/te
    chref/en-us/Default.
    asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-
    us/w2k3tr_gpadm_how.asp

    HTH
    --
    Cheers,
    Marin Marinov

    "True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
    Socrates

Windows