What 2.1 speaker system should I go for?

w1zzard

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Hello everyone! I'm looking to buy a 2.1 speaker system for my PC. I have around 100$ to spend and want the best I can get for this money. It'll be used for gaming as well as listening to music. So far I'm considering the Logitech Z-4e (black). I like its design and I've read some positive opinions about it. Does anyone here have it? What do you think about it?

P.S: I don't want something like 5.1 because I don't want to mess around with huge cables + they're harder to set up in the right position. So just 2.1 will have to do.

Suzuka

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Saw klipsch 2.1 promedia in best buy for 115 once, I bought mine for 150 and love them, z's sound a lot worse than Promedia, I tested the whole line up when I bought mine and paying a little extra for great sound never crossed my mind. Think of it as skipping few meals outside for years of quality sound.

Oh, if you didn't know Logitech doesn't make the drivers, they buy them.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Oh, if you didn't know Logitech doesn't make the drivers, they buy them.

Heh, well I don't think there's an inherent harm in buying off the shelf drivers. The Tangband w3-6655C drivers aren't great, but the similar with most of the PC speaker drivers in the market. $4 in the drivers, and a lot of money in advertising! You aren't talking about Hi-Fi speakers, where a much higher % of the cost goes to actual speaker quality (i.e., Onix X-LS $220 speakers use $120 in drivers alone). You get what you pay for with mass market junk.

I mean, when we're talking about untreated 3" paper drivers with low end speakers, it's not like there are gonna be huge gains available at this price range even by the most competent driver manufacturer, not when everyone is trying to make the most money with the least effort because they know kids easily fall prey to advertising and looks: they will see something that looks cool and go "OMG those are best! Coz it has THX! I am a real audiophile now!"

phase_22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I'm looking to buy a 2.1 speaker system for my PC. I have around 100$ to spend and want the best I can get for this money. It'll be used for gaming as well as listening to music. So far I'm considering the Logitech Z-4e (black). I like its design and I've read some positive opinions about it. Does anyone here have it? What do you think about it?

P.S: I don't want something like 5.1 because I don't want to mess around with huge cables + they're harder to set up in the right position. So just 2.1 will have to do.

I think the Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speakers are v good, also the Logitech Z-2300 THX® Certified 2.1 are top but may be a bit pricey.
I agree w/ The_Stiffmeister on the Z-2300 because I sometimes wish for more bass from my 2.1 Logitech x-230 setup. If you compare the driven wattages of the 8 inch woofer cones of both the z-2300 and z-4, the z-2300 would be my choice.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
When I went looking for better speakers for my system, I listened to many different speakers.
I found the Klipsch speakers were the best sounding ones to me.
I've had no problems with them and have enjoyed them for about 7 months now. :D
I recommend you check them out.

cliffro69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I agree w/ The_Stiffmeister on the Z-2300 because I sometimes wish for more bass from my 2.1 Logitech x-230 setup. If you compare the driven wattages of the 8 inch woofer cones of both the z-2300 and z-4, the z-2300 would be my choice.

I have no complaints with the X-230's I have 2.1 for similar reasons as the OP. I do not have the room for 5.1 or 7.1 so i stick with 2.1 and the X-230's do it just fine with enough bass to piss off my neighbors while playing BF2 and 2142 at night. i also have my sub in a corner for reverberation. and i live in a house not an apartment

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yep, I got them 2.1 ProMedia from Klipsch and they do sound really nice with my X-Fi sound card. :D Really nice quality sounds at low to med level.

:tongue: Oh, those are really bouncy! :tongue:

farnaby

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
I have the Logitech Z4's and I love them. Had them for a little over a year and my music is nice and crisp. I'm not that picky about my bass, but what it delivers (i keep it turned down too) is more than enough. Combine this with a descent set of headphones for gaming and you're set.