How To Intrude the Wireless Intruders?

hanief84

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hi! I'm wondering whether is this possible or not? Let say if I have my own wireless network. A few intruders got in the network. Now, is it possible for me to go inside their PC's or laptops thru the wireless network?

A lot of people said to me that I just need the Firewall and the WEP or WPA encryption plus becarefull with the way I type the SSID in order to secure my wireless network.

califflash

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
wep or wpa encryption works ok. personally I leave it off because it slows the network because it has to encrypt then decrypt all information. I turn my ssid transmitter off and then I turn on mac address filtering and dhcp limitations. My network will only assign 3 ip addresses other than the router which is how many computers I have. Then the mac address from those computers has to be entered into the router before you can connect. And this is assuming that anyone will find my network without ssid. I just enter all the setting manually and it works fine.

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
It might be possible to gain access to their computers depending on how clueful or less they are...

personally I think you shouldn't worry about that and should worry about properly securing your AP.

I strongly disagree w/ everything just about the last guy said.

ecryption does come with some overhead weeeeell worth it IMHO.

Ideally you will have WPA2 available on your wifi router/ interface cards... followed in order of security desirability /strenght..WPA , WEP

turn on the best one available to you...don't worry about it slowing anything down.

turning off the SSID is a joke from a security standpoint it is trivial to locate the network w/ SSID turned off..... infact I turn mine on... tooo mark my territory (yes like a cat :D ... i.e. advise any neighbors w/ shinny new wifi routers to stay the hell off of my channel).

mac filtering is almost as much of a joke as turning SSID off...it is relatively trivial to spoof a mac address/ capture an allowed mac from the network.

DHCP client limits.... hmmmm... good thing nobody will ever think to manually enter a IP address in range.... which they will know from their recon finding your SSID / and MAC address.

now turn on WPA2 or WPA... or if you have no other option WEP

change your default SSID and ADMIN passwords for the router // disable remote admin.