Sign in with
Your question

SAPPHIRE X1950XT or 7950GT? Please help me!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2007 11:10:32 AM

Hello. I need to make a decision about which to get out of the two.

What´s the best video card from these two?

SAPPHIRE X1950XT 256MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
or
MSI/ZOGIS/ASUS/EVGA 7950GT 512MB

This is mi computer, here I will use my new video card:
---------------------------------------------
Intel Allendale E6400 (OC 2.8Ghz)
MSI 975X Platinum Power Up
G.Skill F2-6400 2GB DDR2 800Mhz 4-4-4-12
3xWD 250GB SATA2 16MB
DVD+RW LG Black 16x D.L.
Antec TruePower Trio 550w
Thermaltake Aguila Black w/Window
Thermalright Ultra-120
---------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.
January 16, 2007 12:14:47 PM

The X1950XT easily out does the 7950GT, unless the 7950GT is alot cheaper there is no reason to get it. Go with the X1950XT, no reason to consider otherwise
Related resources
January 16, 2007 12:28:58 PM

ok guys, very thanks for the answers. I will go for the X1950XT 256MB.

I thought that 7950GT maybe was better because it has 512mb, but If you say X1950XT is better I will go for it.
January 16, 2007 12:46:46 PM

How About X1950pro vs. 7950GT? friends
January 16, 2007 2:11:20 PM

I have the X1950XT and love it, but it does have two flaws though, it gets really hot and because of that the fan (which sux) is pretty loud. I replaced the fan/headsink with a Zalman VF900CU and that pretty much took care of the problem but that boosted the price I paid (at the time) to around $280.

My advice to you is if you have a cramped case with little room and only one or two fans is to go with another card. This card is pretty long too – barely enough room with hard drives in the bay directly across the PCIe slot to fit. And if there is not enough breathing room for this hot puppy I guarantee you’ll be overheating during games. I had an Antec Nine Hundred sitting in a box that I was too lazy to pull apart my computer and take advantage of. The X1950XT motivated me when I saw case temps going near 42C and GPU temps at 105C (yes even with the Zalman!) only after 15-20 minutes of play. Now the new case GPU runs around 47C idle and upper 70s full tilt. An added bonus was dropping almost 10C on all three hard drives (Raptors are run HOT) and -5C on the CPU.
January 18, 2007 2:44:13 PM

YOU SHOULD NOT GET THE X1950XT!!!!

I have been a long time nvidia fan (never had any problems) but recently decided to go with the x1950xt over the 7950 because I had heard really good things.

It does not work. After I installed the driver, it gives no signal to the monitor and the monitor goes to sleep mode. Its not a bad card, the power is hooked up, and it is a brand new system.

Asus P5B deluxe
X1950xt
C2D 6600
650 W power supply

On these forums, other forums, and from other people ive talked to I find more and more people with the same problem. I have upgraded the chipset, bios and tried every trick I can think of.

Unless someone has another good idea, I will be returning this card for a 7950.
January 18, 2007 3:07:49 PM

Why don't you think it's a bad card? Sounds exactly like a bad card to me.

Even the hated Newegg comments are all glowing. Everybody makes a bad card onece in a while, that's simply the case here. Have you tried it in another machine?
January 18, 2007 3:21:40 PM

Quote:
Everybody makes a bad card once in a while

With all due respect, Cleeve, (and I will be the first to acknowledge that you know more than most on the Forumz) I do not understand why you've said this in the context of this thread.

Okay, I am not an nVidia fanboy, nor am I an Intel fanboy. However, I've always stuck with nVidia cards and Intel CPUs (even when ATI and AMD had faster products than nVidia and Intel) simply because I've seen thousands upon thousands upon more countless thousands of posts in all manner of forums about system crashes, driver problems on machines using ATI and/or AMD.

Moreover, every single real life computer enthusiast friend I have who went for the greatest bang for the buck and used AMD and/or ATI spent 50% of their time at our LAN parties trying to get their machines to work.

I kid you not. I've never had any such problems with nVidia/Intel combo nor have I ever seen such great numbers of cries for help as in the case of ATI/AMD.

Look through THGC forums and you will see dozens of people crying about X1950 PRO AGPs and X1950XT PCI-e and X1950XTX PCI-e crashing into the blank screen/standby mode.

No, it is not an occasional bad card. It is an empirically observed fact of life:

Overall, quality, stability, reliability and compatibility of ATI products and drivers is much inferior to that of nVidia.

I sincerely hoped that over the years ATI and AMD would resolve these issues, but it has not happened. I am thankful I've researched X1950 PRO AGP thouroughly and have not bought one:

From what I've seen, most of them do not work. I mean, they just do not work. You know?

EDIT: And to the OP - yes, brother. Your card is toast. It was DOA (Dead on Arrival)
January 18, 2007 3:38:20 PM

Just like I've never had any problems with any of my AMD/ATI combos. I kid you not. Issues like this have seemed pretty balanced to me. Perhaps you notice more AMD/ATI issues because you're looking (inadvertently) for them. This can be likened to when you buy a new car, or are looking at a specific model. All of the sudden you're seeing them everywhere on the road. And what driver instablilty issues? Again, over the past 5-6 years, I haven't had any problems. I tend to perfer ATI, but that doesn't stop me from recomending Nvidia products. Sorry to say this, but you're arguement seems a bit biased to me.
January 18, 2007 4:07:30 PM

Same here, I've used nothing but AMD/ATI combo ever since I got in to the PC market (aropund '98I was in the Amiga market upto then :)  ) and I've had absolutely zip problems. The only time I've ever used nvidia was with an old TNT2 card that came with a store bought PC. As far as Intel are concerned my new machine (which I'm building this weekend) is my very first Intel cored PC (e6600) and I'm still going for ATI by using an x1950xt while the dx10 cards settle down (I'm going to give it a year or so).
January 18, 2007 4:28:46 PM

Quote:
Everybody makes a bad card once in a while

With all due respect, Cleeve, (and I will be the first to acknowledge that you know more than most on the Forumz) I do not understand why you've said this in the context of this thread.

Okay, I am not an nVidia fanboy, nor am I an Intel fanboy. However, I've always stuck with nVidia cards and Intel CPUs (even when ATI and AMD had faster products than nVidia and Intel) simply because I've seen thousands upon thousands upon more countless thousands of posts in all manner of forums about system crashes, driver problems on machines using ATI and/or AMD.

EDIT: And to the OP - yes, brother. Your card is toast. It was DOA (Dead on Arrival)

You know, to be quite honest... and it may just be my luck. But I've always had to do a lot of tweaking to get my nvidia cards to work. For me ATI has always been more solid *shrugs*.
!