New e6600/P5B system won't POST - any ideas??

farm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I can’t get my new system to POST. I don’t get any beeps and nothing on the display.
The mother board DOES have power and all my fans connected to it are running. The case speaker IS hooked up correctly. The PSU is running everything else in the case just fine.

I have:
P5B Deluxe
E6600
1GB x 2 Super Talent PC6400 DDR800
Corsair 520W PSU

I’ve done the following:

1) unhooked everything
2) reseated my cpu and cpu cooler – no change
3) removed Motherboard from chassis and tested off the mobo tray – no change
4) unplugged graphics card – no change
5) unplugged RAM – no change
6) tried RAM in different slots – no change
7) reset CMOS – no change

Here are the items I thought could be the problem:

RAM – unlikely since there is no change in POST with RAM uninstalled, 1 chip, or different slots
Mobo – unlikely since it runs all fans, has power (ASUS light is red), still won’t POST after removing from case chassis, reset CMOS, removed all cards from slots
PSU – runs everything in the case including all fans on Mobo itself
CPU – I think I just have a bad CPU (e6600)

Any other thoughts. Could it still be the Motherboard?

I’ve tried just about every combination of steps to get the thing to POST and it just sits there with power to everything, no display, and no beeps. I guess I’ll have to RMA the CPU. This is the first time I’ve ever had a bad retail CPU

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I can’t get my new system to POST. ....

I’ve tried just about every combination of steps to get the thing to POST and it just sits there with power to everything, no display, and no beeps. I guess I’ll have to RMA the CPU. This is the first time I’ve ever had a bad retail CPU

You didn't say what video card you had. Does it require the six-pin connector to the back? (I've forgotten that!) Is the four-pin (or 8-pin)connector for the CPU connected to the motherboard in addition to the 24-pin ATX connector?

farm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
AAAK!!!

A separate power cord for the CPU?? Does the P5B Deluxe have that?? I didn't see any mention of it in the manual, but in all honesty, wasn't anticipating that at all. My previous builds (older systems) never had a separate power cord dedicated for the CPU itself.

As far as graphics card, I have a BFG 7950GT PCI-E card. I tried booting with the card installed as well as uninstalled and it didn't affect things. I did have power to the graphics card with a PCI-E connector from my PSU.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
A separate power cord for the CPU?? Does the P5B Deluxe have that??
Yes. It's called ATX v/2.2 and powers everything since SocketA ~2004.
Also, your mobo was released before Core2 CPUs and there is a note on Asus about that - you need the latest BIOS update for guaranteed POST.
There have been many recent BIOS updates and there is I believe a Dec15/06 release that you should have.
Asus says 'you may require non-Core2 CPU to flash BIOS if required'.
Dunno if this applies to you...
And yes, connect your mobo properly please (it's all in the little book),
Regards

loxPL

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
The_OGS said:
Also, your mobo was released before Core2 CPUs and there is a note on Asus about that - you need the latest BIOS update for guaranteed POST.
Are you sure it was the P5B? I thought that P965 mobos were released at the same time that Core 2 came out. P5WDH was the one needing bios upgrades.

farm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Well...Since my last build was in fact a Socket A build, this CPU power connection business is news to me. I would be willing to bet that if I connect the 8 pin power cord to it, it just might work. Sigh...

Glad it is likely something very easy, even if it means I get to feel ignorant in the process.

farm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
P5B DOES support Core 2 Duo.
"- Intel LGA775 Platform
- Intel® Quad-core CPU Ready
- Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo Ready
- Intel® Pentium® Extreme / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D Ready"

The lastest BIOS on the ASUS web site is dated 10/30/06.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
P5B DOES support Core 2 Duo.
"- Intel LGA775 Platform
- Intel® Quad-core CPU Ready
- Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo Ready
- Intel® Pentium® Extreme / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D Ready"

The lastest BIOS on the ASUS web site is dated 10/30/06.

Yes the P5B always did support the C2D, though the update will give you an unlocked multiplier (downwards) and improved memory handling.

You MUST connect the four-pin CPU power Molex, otherwise the system acts like it has a bad CPU (Which figures, since the CPU wouldn't be getting power...)

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
That's good - I was just on Asus the other day (another poster had probs) and I was sure that's the mobo...
Anyway, you have ruled out BIOS issues and been to Asus to checkout FAQs etc, that's great :)
Hopefully you can get that connected/set up properly, and you're laughin' :lol:
BIOS setup is important and many folks running their rigs on 'defaults' LoL, make sure yours is set up sweetly.
I can tell yer a good lad (coming from SocketA & all, heheh...)
No worries - teach & learn.
L8R

farm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Just an update. I attached ALL power cords and shockingly, it posted. Sigh. Live and learn. Glad it was an easy fix and thanks to all that helped. I have the latest BIOS installed and I should be able to start OCing later today.