CD/DVD burner ideas

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Ok I got my pc up and running again. I still don't have a cd burner or a dvd burner. What I would like is a few ideas to replace my Lite-On 52x/32x/52x cd burner. I want a cd burner with dvd rom.

Also need a good dvd burner as well. Since my plextor also took a crap. :cry:

I want good reliable cd and dvd burners that are fast. Not worried about loud drives just want good fast drives that will last longer then a year.

Thanks for the help!

Jason

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Do you think it is viable to by two of the 7170's. instead of a cd burner and the 7170?

I copy music cd's as back ups and I figured I could not go worng buying tow 7170's rather then 1 7170 and a cd burner. The only thing I would gain by buying a cd burner is faster speeds, but not much of a difference.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
i you write all the time cd's then the solution is simple ,
get a nec dvd burner and a cd burner.
but if you burn a cd in a time then get a dvd burner and a dvd-rom for reading dvd's and cd's and use the burner for write.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Do you think it is viable to by two of the 7170's. instead of a cd burner and the 7170?

I copy music cd's as back ups and I figured I could not go worng buying tow 7170's rather then 1 7170 and a cd burner. The only thing I would gain by buying a cd burner is faster speeds, but not much of a difference.

I do the same thing and have a DVD burner. Also burn DVDs. I've never needed two optical drives. If you want to copy a CD, just about any software will let you do this with one drive

mjam

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Most of the computers I build these days are equipped with dual identical DVD burners. Originally it was because people wanted two optical drives, say a DVD reader and a CD burner. Unfortunately it was difficult to get drives that had same shades of beige or black. But drives have become so cheap (as noted earlier) it became obvious the easy way out was dual matching DVD burners. It adds less than $20 to the cost of a build if you where already planning on two drives and you'd be suprised how handy it is to have the computer set up this way.

Just my 2 cents worth...

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
I agree two identical dvd drives would settle the need. Besides copying a cd would be faster with two drives rather then one drive.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
I think I will buy two 7170's. For the price you can't beat it. I had to buy a drive to get my computer back up and running. I went to Best Buy (the only store within driving distance) and paid $55 (for the cheapest drive) for a sony cd burner only no dvd rom.

Thanks for the idea for the NEC's.

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Cool. I thought maybe they were all together different.

Thanks for the help! I just bought 2 of the 7170a's should be here friday or monday.