Sign in with
Your question

CPU Thermal Paste

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2007 1:04:28 PM

I had to return a faulty MB and when i removed the cpu and heatsink there was obviously some old thermal paste on there. When i get the new MB back and reattached the cpu and heatsink do I need to apply more thermal paste? Im not sure if i have any lying around? Thanks a lot

More about : cpu thermal paste

January 16, 2007 1:53:31 PM

Not being an expert, but I would suggest cleaning off the old goop and reapplying some new (goop).

Use a soft, non-lint rag (cotton balls work good), and some rubbing alcohol to clean the CPU and heat sink. If you really want to get adventurous, get out a Dremel, a buffing wheel, and some polishing compound, and remove any machining marks on the CPU/HS. Polish those babies to a high-shine.

As for the new thermal paste, let me save you a lot of time and trouble: There is no, I repeat NO, difference between Artic Silver 5 and generic paste you can find at a Radio Shack or even an automotive parts store.

I know this because I used all three and there was no difference in temps. Anyone claiming otherwise is just a fanboi or didn't properly seat their HSF the first time.
January 16, 2007 2:26:17 PM

Some people will tell you that it's not required, but considering cost and ease of application, why bother taking a chance.

My opinion - use it.
Related resources
January 16, 2007 3:25:59 PM

Generally speaking, you (and your CPU) will be better off if you clean and re-apply new thermal paste when re-assembling you rig.

Quote:
There is no, I repeat NO, difference between Artic Silver 5 and generic paste you can find at a Radio Shack or even an automotive parts store.

While I agree that generic paste will probably do the average user just fine (myself included), I must disagree with Newbie. To say there is "NO difference" is not true. Two minutes on google found me several thermal paste reviews by people who ARE experts on the subject matter who also disagree.

To the overclocker, that 3-10 degree Celsius difference could be very significant.

Quote:
Not being an expert ...
(snip)
I know this because I used all three and there was no difference in temps. Anyone claiming otherwise is just a fanboi or didn't properly seat their HSF the first time.

No expert indeed! You might want to take a closer look at your own experimental procedure before calling names and insulting peoples abilities ... especially in a forum full of enthusiasts and experts.
January 16, 2007 4:21:25 PM

Sorry, buddy, but methinks that your head is so far up your fourth point of contact, that you, well, you get the point.

10C = 18F
3C = 5.4F

On a STOCK HSF with its THERMAL PADS, my C2D E6300 (OC'd to 3.15GHz), had the same temps as AS5 and some generic goo from Radio Shack.

Wait, there was a difference: the stock pads were free, the generic goo was like $0.97, and the AS5 was over $10.00.

This is what happened:

While using the stock pads, I was seeing idle temps at about 40C-43C (OC'd), depending on room temps. When I built the machine in the first place, I didn't really check the contact surfaces, so I removed the HSF, cleaned off the thermal pad goo, cleaned and polished everything, and then used some generic thermal paste I've had for over a year that I got from a Radio Shack.

After starting everything back up, the temps were basically the same. But later, they started to rocket up to 50C idle and then, under load, to over 70C. I thought that maybe the thermal paste had a shelf life that had expired, so I went back the the Radio Shack to get some more.

All they had at the time was some AS5, so I bought it. After opening up the machine, I noticed that the HSF had actually come loose, which was why the temps were up. The snapping in which I heard was not of one of the pins going through the hole, but instead, one of them bent. Since only three pins were actually locked into place, the HSF naturally came loose.

Since I had already trashed the generic goo, I had to use the AS5. After following their directions and making sure that the HSF were properly secured, I fired-up the rig again.

The result?

No difference in temps.

Remember, you can't always believe what you read on the internet.

EDIT TO POST:

10C = 50F (not 18F as I had posted)
3C = 37.4F (not 5.4F)

In both cases I was using the delta of the conversions. My bad.
January 16, 2007 9:41:40 PM

Sigh ...
In support of my earlier statements, here is just one example of the reviews found online:
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/cooling/thermal_paste/index_3.shtml
This one shows a (whoops) 16C difference between top and bottom performers (sorry for my earlier mis-quote) :) 
Or, although not a formal paste review,
http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/03/5_cool_p4_coolers_protect_your_p4_from_heatstroke/page3.html
bottom paragraph states notable differences between a pad and paste regarding performance (in this case the pad being better).

Newbie: As for your own experience, there is no way to account for why your personal results differ from what many others have found and documented under controlled experimental conditions. If I was in your position, I might question why my results differ from so many others instead of making broad sweeping (and insulting) statements in public forums. That kind of arrogance helps no one. Had you simply stated "In my experience .... blah blah" without the name calling and insults, then your post could have been a valued opinion rather than the trolling bait that it is.

Quote:
Remember, you can't always believe what you read on the internet.
Absolutely ... therefore I choose to believe Toms Hardware, other independent reviewers and my own personal university courses on thermodynamics, instead of forum posters who tout their own poor "experiments" as absolute truth.
January 17, 2007 1:49:30 AM

OK look: when I want tips about living in a log cabin or on hockey, I'll ask you, but please promise to stay away from the internet and making posts in forums.

First, did you even READ and COMPREHEND what both of those articles were talking about?

In the 1st link, the only time there was that 16C temperature difference was WHEN THE GUY USED A PELTIER AND WATER COOLER! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT THOSE ARE? I THOUGHT NOT.

And you proved my point that all of those thermal pastes (with a clear exception in that 1st link), WORK ABOUT THE SAME!

The second link you posted was talking about the DIFFERENT HSFs THAT WERE AVAILABLE FOR PENTIUM4 CPUs!

JFC what a moron. Remember: Better to keep quiet and let people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Game. Set. Match.
January 17, 2007 2:44:03 PM

This is really getting old.

Quote:
First, did you even READ and COMPREHEND what both of those articles were talking about?
It seems you mis-understood the graph you were looking at here: http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/cooling/thermal_paste/index_3.shtml
The results I link to and quote are from the third day of tests using the "Heat Sink: ThermalTake Volcano 7" as clearly stated on that page. The results for the peltier cooler are on a different page altogether. It seems you need to take you own advice and read the rest of the article.

Quote:
The second link you posted was talking about the DIFFERENT HSFs THAT WERE AVAILABLE FOR PENTIUM4 CPUs!
I thought I was clear in stating it wasn't a paste review. That doesn't change the fact that THG notes significant performance differences between different thermal medium (as demonstrated by their quoted measure of thermal resistance). Which, you may recall is the main point we are discussing.

To sum up: You claim there is "NO difference" in thermal pastes. I claim otherwise and quote (and link) evidence to support that position.

It's sad you need to resort to insults just because your opinion have been shown to be incorrect. I won't validate your rants with a further reply.

P.S. - Hockey ROCKS! :D 
January 17, 2007 4:39:28 PM

Dude, you are really messed up; I believe the artic cold and the liberal politics of Canada have finally wapred you.

The only result in which there was a 16C difference (in cooling), was when using a peltier and water cooler. All of the other tests showed that all temperatures were in the same range (and all way above ambient).

As a matter-of-fact, if you were to do a statistical analysis, you would not see any difference. If the null hypothesis was "There is no difference between the various thermal pastes", the conclusion would be to not reject the null. The clear exception here was the silicon compound, but then, I have never heard of using that anyhow.

And it isn't my opinion, it's clear and proven fact.

You have to be one of the luny liberals in that you are able to read the facts, but then make-up your own conclusions to match your expectations.

Yes, hockey rules, unlike those all-black, sports-for-welfare leagues like the nba, mlb, and nfl.
January 17, 2007 8:45:57 PM

For those that are unable to subtract, let me present some data from the previously linked review.

Test Heat Sink: ThermalTake Volcano 7
Product / Temp on Day 3 (under load)
Artic Silver 3 / 44.5C
Shin Etsu G751 / 43C
Nanotherm Blue II / 46C
Silver Grease / 54C
Silicone Compound / 60C

60C - 43C = 17C difference (between best and worst performer)
54C - 44.5C = 9.5C difference (between AS3 and Silver Grease)
46C - 43C = 3C difference (between Shin Etsu G751 and Nanother Blue II)

So to say that there is "NO difference" between thermal compounds is preposterous.

Quote:
if you were to do a statistical analysis, you would not see any difference.
(snip)
The clear exception here was the silicon compound
Of course, statistics would show there is no significant difference if you exclude those results that ARE significantly different (i.e. the exceptions) from the analysis ... duh. (the beauty of stats is their ability to show whatever you want them to)

Thank you for agreeing that there IS a difference after all.

* - For those that don't know, silicone compound is a zinc filled polysiloxane heat sink compound (i.e. generic thermal paste) of the type one might find at a Radio Shack or even an automotive parts store, probably for about $0.97.
January 17, 2007 10:42:28 PM

Quote:
Not being an expert...

Use a soft, non-lint rag (cotton balls work good), and some rubbing alcohol to clean the CPU and heat sink. If you really want to get adventurous, get out a Dremel, a buffing wheel, and some polishing compound, and remove any machining marks on the CPU/HS. Polish those babies to a high-shine.

As for the new thermal paste, let me save you a lot of time and trouble: There is no, I repeat NO, difference between Artic Silver 5 and generic paste you can find at a Radio Shack or even an automotive parts store.

Talk about 'bad info' from the internet:
- Cotton balls are not lint free
- A Dremel would be a bad choice for creating better contact between the CPU and Heatsink
- It has been demonstrated at many sites that Radio Shack thermal compound is lousy.

On different note, The stock heatsink compound on intel heatsinks has been shown (on Tom's Hardware) to perform much better than Arctic Silver 5. The stock heatsinks from intel are not very smooth, Arctic Silver is not intended to fill large gaps. Search Tom's articles...

Quote:
While using the stock pads, I was seeing idle temps at about 40C-43C (OC'd), depending on room temps. When I built the machine in the first place, I didn't really check the contact surfaces, so I removed the HSF, cleaned off the thermal pad goo, cleaned and polished everything, and then used some generic thermal paste I've had for over a year that I got from a Radio Shack.

Do you understand you are comparing the unpolished heatsink and stock TIM to a polished heatsink and aftermarket goo. Please do not insult the Canadians or we will be force to remind you what side of the Mason-Dixon line you fall upon.
January 18, 2007 12:43:48 AM

Quote:
I won't validate your rants with a further reply.

Yes you did. You're an idiot. Plain and simple.

Quote:
Silicone Compound: This compound was added to the line up as a baseline for comparison. It shows that while it may have once been a mainstream compound to use in thermal applications, there are simply better engineered products available today.

As the article stated, it was only included to show how things have progressed. You know, down here in the States, we have electric starters for our horseless carriages; you must still be hand-cranking yours. Come join us in the 21st Century.

Think about it: have you ever seen a comparison of a Quad-core, 8800GTX SLI system compared to say, an Athlon 1.2GHz equipped with an ATI All-in-Wonder video card? No you haven't. Why? Because the comparison is invalid.

Please tell me how many people are using silicone compound as a thermal compound? Maybe they are still using 8088 processors?

As for statistics, perhaps you should leave that to those who have taken coursework in that field.

Oh hell: I thought I sent this out like 5 hours ago!
January 18, 2007 12:45:09 AM

Sigh...another wanker. Toss it.
a c 99 à CPUs
January 18, 2007 1:24:35 AM

Why are you trying to make a point to someone with his head up his ass, he already told you he couldn't even install his heatsink properly, first pull his head out of his ass and then maybe he can understand you. 8)
January 18, 2007 2:15:47 PM

I thought that if I typed slowly enough and used very small words that I might eventually sink to his level of comprehension ... alas, I was wrong.

And, I believe that 'horses' could not do as you described.
January 18, 2007 6:35:01 PM

You're still an idiot, despite your numerous posts.
January 18, 2007 7:23:06 PM

I would assume the concept of bottle necking applies to heat dissipation. If your HSF (heat sink fan) can only dissipate 50 units of heat per second it wouldn’t matter if your thermal grease can transfer 100 units of heat per second, a grease that can transfer 50 heat/sec will do just as well.

However if your HSF can transfer 100 heat/second you might want to invest in the better thermal grease.
January 18, 2007 7:41:35 PM

Quote:
What a moron.

No, you are wrong my friend. When all these people on here are saying "you're wrong" you should evaluate what they are saying instead of throwing insults. Try to act like an adult please!

Quote:
Since I had already trashed the generic goo, I had to use the AS5. After following their directions and making sure that the HSF were properly secured, I fired-up the rig again.

The result?

No difference in temps.

AS5 performance isn't as good at first as it is after burn-in time. So, you probably eeked another 3c out of it after your initial test, which is 3c better than your older paste. Plus, I tend to doubt the validity of your testing method, since this wasn't exactly a scientific test.

Anyway, people on here get 3c cooler all the time just from applying AS5 to their current HSF. Arguing that point is, well, pointless.
January 18, 2007 8:00:16 PM

No need for name calling. He's just cranky because he has to pay almost twice as much for all his computer parts because of all the duties and taxes his government imposes in the futile hope of sparking home production, and to cover the costs of health care that makes you wait a month to X-ray a broken clavicle.

Regardless, shi^H^H^H poor application technique will negate any potential for (typically incremental) improvements promised by expensive products.

Anyone read the Design Guide for the Core 2 Duo which indicate the application of just .4 grams (.2CC) of thermal paste between the heat spreader and the heat sink / fan ?

-Brad
January 18, 2007 8:14:03 PM

Quote:
What a moron.

People who live in glass houses...

Take a look around. You're living in a glass house :wink:
January 18, 2007 8:22:27 PM

Generally when you see somebody acting like a bellicose 5year-old and calling everybody "morons" and "idiots" they themselves are a moron or idiot (or some combination thereof). :lol: 
January 18, 2007 8:24:43 PM

Quote:
all the duties and taxes his government imposes in the futile hope of sparking home production, and to cover the costs of health care that makes you wait a month to X-ray a broken clavicle.

1) dere ain't no duty on dem 'pooter parts.
2) dere ain't no wheat'n list fer x-rays.
3) dere ain't nuttin more sure den debt, death 'n' taxes.

Really, you Yanks need to get over the fact that Canajuns are smarter than you, healthier than you, and we get free health care. :wink:

I'll go look for a suitable place to hide now. :twisted:
January 18, 2007 8:34:48 PM

Whatever... just because you friggin' Canadians don't have as high of a morbid obesity rate as we do doesn't mean you're better than us! It just means you're on a general scale better looking, in better shape, and will live longer than us! So take that! ;) 
January 18, 2007 8:41:29 PM

Quote:
all the duties and taxes his government imposes in the futile hope of sparking home production, and to cover the costs of health care that makes you wait a month to X-ray a broken clavicle.

1) dere ain't no duty on dem 'pooter parts.
2) dere ain't no wheat'n list fer x-rays.
3) dere ain't nuttin more sure den debt, death 'n' taxes.
Really, you Yanks need to get over the fact that Canajuns are smarter than you, healthier than you, and we get free health care. :wink:

I neglected to mention that half my family lives in Toronto. The waiting lists are alive and well and frustrating as hell.

The difference in the dollar doesn't completely account for the difference in goods costs, so I'll have to assume it's import duties until someone can convince me otherwise.

Meanwhile you can bet your ass that every time they visit NYC they fly back to Toronto loaded as much electronics and computer stuff as they think they can convince customs they left with.

True though, nothing more inevitable than death 'n taxes.

-Brad
January 18, 2007 8:58:18 PM

All chiding aside, I don't believe there's a waiting list anywhere in this country for a simple x-ray. Yeah, there are long waiting lists for MRI's and Angioplasty and a thousand other things, but I've never waited longer than a couple of hours for an X-Ray.

As for the computer parts duty, I can tell you with certainty that there is none. I purchase piles of stuff from U.S. suppliers and ship it up here. Everything must go through a customs broker. Trust me, if there were duties to be paid, the broker would be adding it to his fees. I've ordered other stuff (RC car parts for example) that DO carry duties. Those duties get added at the broker.

Truth be told, it's the manufacturers that are ripping off the Canadian consumer. Pick up any book you like and look at the pricing printed on the back. Here's an example: ASP.NET Unleashed; $59.99 USA $79.99 Canada. At todays exchange rate (courtesy of xe.com), the cost in Canadian dollars should be $70.42. If I pick up a book printed in Canada by a Canadian publisher, I see the same differences in cost.

Anyway, we're getting off topic (my fault too).
January 18, 2007 9:05:16 PM

Quote:
Whatever... just because you friggin' Canadians don't have as high of a morbid obesity rate as we do doesn't mean you're better than us! It just means you're on a general scale better looking, in better shape, and will live longer than us! So take that! ;) 

Ha! I'm glad you took it all for the levity it was meant to generate :) 

No, we're no better than you. We're just a bunch of anorexic health and beauty nuts! (Speaking of nuts, where's my wife gone?)
January 18, 2007 10:04:46 PM

Wow, I am really enjoying sitting back and reading these ridiculous rants. I guess you have your opinion NewbietechgodII, but me being a cheap person, I wouldn't have bought Arctic Silver if I didn't notice a difference..
January 18, 2007 10:10:19 PM

I love nerd fights on the internet. Almost as comical as reading cs kids trash talk each other.
January 18, 2007 10:18:05 PM

STFU NOOB!

... PWND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D 

The best part is: I played CSS last night and some kid just barely won a match (he lost all others that night), then he kept screaming "PWNAGE" in channel and left (quit while you're ahead I guess). Priceless. :D 
January 18, 2007 10:51:58 PM

Yeah, that is slightly annoying. I often mute every player and I wish I could make them realize it is an online game...

NewbieTechGodII, please leave the forum and don't return.
January 18, 2007 11:26:01 PM

Yeah, I usually don't pay attention to what people are saying/typing. If they are using their Mics it's always 10 year old kids that just want to hear the sound of their own voice saying something like "you f*cker" or "ahhhh yeahhhhh". If they are typing, it's either "PWND!", "STFU NOOB!" or "OMFG xx HAX!!!!". :D 

Oh, and yes NewbieTechGodII should leave and never come back. Great idea!
January 19, 2007 2:00:17 AM

Quote:
Not being an expert...

Talk about 'bad info' from the internet:
- Cotton balls are not lint free
- A Dremel would be a bad choice for creating better contact between the CPU and Heatsink
- It has been demonstrated at many sites that Radio Shack thermal compound is lousy.

On different note, The stock heatsink compound on intel heatsinks has been shown (on Tom's Hardware) to perform much better than Arctic Silver 5. The stock heatsinks from intel are not very smooth, Arctic Silver is not intended to fill large gaps. Search Tom's articles...

Quote:

Do you understand you are comparing the unpolished heatsink and stock TIM to a polished heatsink and aftermarket goo. Please do not insult the Canadians or we will be force to remind you what side of the Mason-Dixon line you fall upon.

1. I have read and seen people use cotton balls (with rubbing alcohol), to clean the goop from the CPU and HSF. I probably made the mistake of wording the comment to make it appear that cotton balls are lint-free.

2. Ditto with the Dremel (maybe some know how to use it better)

3. Who said that?

4. If you look at link 2 that Mr. Gremlin provides, THG actually states that the stock Intel HSF/Thermal Pads worked better than the other aftermarket HSFs with the AS5.

5. Mason-Dixon Line? What does that have to do with anything? As if I care anyhow- I am northern by birth.
January 19, 2007 2:02:57 AM

Good Point. Finally- someone in here other than I who is thinking straight! :) 
January 19, 2007 2:25:07 AM

Actually, I refrain from name-calling on here until someone else starts it, which happened here.

But back to the main point I am making, I mentioned, that according to the information provided by Mr. Gremlin in the first link, there wouldn't be any statistical difference between the various goos. And guess what?

I was both right and wrong.

First, ignore the silicone compound, as it is not a mainstream product in use anymore. Maybe back then, but certainly not now. To include it would be like comparing a Model-T against a current model F150.

Next, the Silver Grease product has a variance of zero; because of that, it forces the null hypothesis of "There is no thermal performance difference between the thermal compounds", to be rejected. However, if one were to remove the Silver Grease, then the null hypothesis is correct.

This is pretty amazing because the variances of the idle temps of the products came in at 0.000, .083, .333, .583 (twice), and .750.

However, the results are also inconclusive at this point because an ANOVA needs at least 5 observations per product to be fully valid.

My next step will be to perform a series of T-Tests to do pairwise comparisons for all of the groups, but will not include Silver Grease for the previously mentioned reason.

If someone has access to data where there are 5 temp readings for each product at both idle and load, then I could do another analysis.

So, as you can see, I may not know everything, but I do know what I am talking about.

"If a million people believe in a dumb idea, it is still a dumb idea"
January 19, 2007 2:30:02 AM

Not sure what you are talking about in terms of the duties, etc, but I know I don't have to wait for medical care as my wife is a medical doctor.

Yup- too much paste means piss poor performance.

Nope...didn't read that, but when I applied the new stuff, I followed their directions.
January 19, 2007 2:31:08 AM

Uhmm, nope- it's a brick house. Nice one, too. :) 
January 19, 2007 2:33:40 AM

Amazing how these forum's work, eh? Ask a simple question and start an argument on nine fronts!
January 19, 2007 6:01:06 AM

Well I really don't see how anyone started an argument.. oh wait it was you, they simply just told you fact from what you 'believe' is fact to save this poor man the embarrassment from his friends and dog asking him, why he is cleaning his cpu off with a 'lint-free' cotton ball and polishing it with a damn dremel!! And might I add you can't act the innocent.. you basically came straight into the thread telling him in a very fascist way that there is NO you repeated NO difference in temps. WHICH was based on a very 'scientific' method you used?

which we all know is bs thank you have a good night I must sleep
January 19, 2007 1:44:17 PM

Yup, you too are an idiot.

To the comment about my lacking scientific information, you obviously missed the several posts I made in here that I was using the very charts provided by Mr. Gremlin himself. To further quantify my conclusion, I actually did a statistical analysis of the data and I posted the results of said analysis.

Using words like facist obviously clues me in that you must volunteer for organizations such as greenpeace, peta, and alf.

It is interesting how the OP hasn't come back in here to complain or remark. Instead, it is little children such as yourself who are afraid that their precious little AS5 isn't as good as advertised.

Of course you have to sleep; you're probably tired from the 24-hour WoW marathon you just ran. After all, it isn't like you have a job more important than asking, "Do you want to supersize that?".
January 19, 2007 2:43:33 PM

Quote:
Amazing how these forum's work, eh? Ask a simple question and start an argument on nine fronts!

Nine people are telling you that you are wrong. You, Sir, stand alone in your argument that Arctic Silver is no different than any other thermal compound.

As stated earlier by another astute poster, a large part of the equation is the material that the HSF is made from.

Try 3 different compounds with a stock aluminum HSF, a copper HSF, and a copper HSF with a silver plug. You will then see what we are talking about.

If you put regular, mid-grade, and premium gas in a Ford Fiesta, you won't see any difference in the performance. Do the same thing with a 930 Turbo Carrera and you sure as hell will.
January 19, 2007 2:49:44 PM

Quote:
Using words like facist obviously clues me in that you must volunteer for organizations such as greenpeace, peta, and alf.

Jesus! Now you want to kill the whales, beat on dogs and confine all living creatures.

The more you talk, the more you're showing us just... Nevermind. I'm not going to stoop to name calling.
January 19, 2007 3:39:24 PM

Really, all that needs to be said is fact from what you 'believe' is fact :twisted:
January 19, 2007 4:23:40 PM

I find it pretty funny that a guy from MS would be insulting anyone. Didn't they just get electricity down there, and have they changed the law so that you can't marry your first cousin? Or sister for that matter? Heck, he still makes fun of black folks, for goodness sakes.

Newbie's not just angry at people here, he's angry for life, completely embarrased that his mom and dad are brother and sister, that he has to eat apples with six teeth--five of them rotting from too much tobacco chew, and you interrupted his viewing of 2006 Best Moments in Professional Wrestling and his daydream of being a champion NASCAR driver.

P.S.--Let him continue believing professional wrestling is real or he'll really get angry and kill his whole graduating class. Wait...that would be nobody. Good thing, phew!

I completely jest. Some of my favorite football players are from MS--Brett Favre. :lol: 
January 19, 2007 4:27:39 PM

hey, if I attempt to insult the newbie can I be an idiot too... or just a moron?
January 19, 2007 4:54:29 PM

You can't even count; try again.

Wow...if you knew anything about engines, gasoline, and the like, there would be no way you could make that statement with a straight face. Seriously, do some research, troll.
January 19, 2007 4:55:22 PM

Since you seem to be trying to making a reasonable point, let me rebut in a reasonable manner ...

Quote:
Actually, I refrain from name-calling on here until someone else starts it, which happened here.
Yet in your opening post (post #2) you said:
Quote:
Anyone claiming otherwise is just a fanboi
Name calling.

Next:
Quote:
First, ignore the silicone compound, as it is not a mainstream product in use anymore.
Just because it is no longer mainstream does not invalidate the result. It is no longer mainstream because there are better products - that means there is a performance difference. And that is the point I have been making all along.

Now statistics ... lets do some.
We'll do a paired student t-test on some results under load (who really cares about idle temps anyway?) and compare silver grease (55,54,54) to AS3(45,45,44.5). (paired test because the temps were read on different run days, and some pastes state they need a burn in time i.e. they perform better after a certain run time)
Without actually typing out all the calcs (only if requested) you get a t-stat of 32.9 which correlates to a 99.9% confidence that the means ARE SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT ! (we reject the null hypothesis that there is no difference in mean temps)

Obviously, I chose this example because it supports my point. You only need to reject the null hypothesis once for it to be invalid. (Yes, I took statistics too. :)  )

So, do you still claim:
Quote:
There is no, I repeat NO, difference between Artic Silver 5 and generic paste

Footnote: silicon compound == generic paste just as silver grease == generic paste, and yes, you can still buy it at RadioShack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2526910.

Nerd fight ... :lol: 
January 19, 2007 4:57:48 PM

As I had mentioned earlier, I am a transplant here. Don't forget Jerry Rice played here too.
January 19, 2007 4:59:28 PM

That's true. And I love me some Southern Belles. that accent drives me nuts in a good way.
January 19, 2007 5:02:25 PM

Quote:
You can't even count; try again.

Wow...if you knew anything about engines, gasoline, and the like, there would be no way you could make that statement with a straight face. Seriously, do some research, troll.

The number nine came from _your_ count. Excuse me for taking _anything_ you say as fact. My bad, it won't happen again.

In fact, I _do_ know a thing or two about engines and gasoline. I know at least enough to know that a 930 Turbo Carrera wouldn't make it out of the driveway on regular gas. It was an analogy, and an acurate one at that.

Go kill some whales or beat on some cows or something. I'm content to sit back and laugh at you. Oh look! There's an ignore button there that I didn't notice before.
!