Create desktop shortcut with GPO

HI, I want to copy/create a shortcut on the users(or in the folder allusers)
desktop with GPO.
How can I do this? Is it an option in GPO or do I need to make a script?
Please let me know!
Thanks /Martin
7 answers Last reply
More about create desktop shortcut

    You can either create an MSI package which consists of the shortcut (use
    WinInstall LE included on the CDROM) or write a VBScript to create the
    shortcut.

    "Martin H" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > HI, I want to copy/create a shortcut on the users(or in the folder
    allusers)
    > desktop with GPO.
    > How can I do this? Is it an option in GPO or do I need to make a script?
    > Please let me know!
    > Thanks /Martin

    Thanks Brendon for fast answear!
    Isn't a eayser way? Like the way you can add bookmarks for every user?
    I dont know to much about VBScript - can I do it with a simple dos script?
    One more question - what cd are you talking about?
    Thanks again - Martin

    "Brendon Rogers" <brendon@nospam-itology.net> skrev i meddelandet
    > You can either create an MSI package which consists of the shortcut (use
    > WinInstall LE included on the CDROM) or write a VBScript to create the
    > shortcut.
    >
    > "Martin H" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > > HI, I want to copy/create a shortcut on the users(or in the folder
    > allusers)
    > > desktop with GPO.
    > > How can I do this? Is it an option in GPO or do I need to make a script?
    > > Please let me know!
    > > Thanks /Martin

    Martin,

    Brendon is talking about the WIN2000 Server CD.

    WinInstall LE is an application that will allow you to create an .msi file.
    Typically what you do is make a clean install of WIN2000 on a system. Take
    that 'snapshot'. Then you make the changes that you need ( such as install
    any software, create any shortcuts on the desktop, install the Updates,
    whatever ). Then you take that 'snapshot'. WinInstall LE will then create
    an .msi file from the difference. You can then use this .msi file to apply
    whatever changes you made via GPO.

    HTH,

    Cary

    > Thanks Brendon for fast answear!
    > Isn't a eayser way? Like the way you can add bookmarks for every user?
    > I dont know to much about VBScript - can I do it with a simple dos script?
    > One more question - what cd are you talking about?
    > Thanks again - Martin
    >
    > "Brendon Rogers" <brendon@nospam-itology.net> skrev i meddelandet
    > > You can either create an MSI package which consists of the shortcut (use
    > > WinInstall LE included on the CDROM) or write a VBScript to create the
    > > shortcut.
    > >
    > > "Martin H" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > > > HI, I want to copy/create a shortcut on the users(or in the folder
    > > allusers)
    > > > desktop with GPO.
    > > > How can I do this? Is it an option in GPO or do I need to make a
    script?
    > > > Please let me know!
    > > > Thanks /Martin

    Hi- thanks Cary
    I downloaded WinInstall Le and created an msi by my own (not in snapshot
    mode)
    and got it to work..
    I just got one problem left - when I "put" out the MSI to the user - the msi
    package not install default -
    But I can find it in the add/remove program - and if I push Install the msi
    package start and the shortcut appears on the desktop
    In the GPO I choose Assigned to user.
    Nothing happens...
    /Martin

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
    > Martin,
    >
    > Brendon is talking about the WIN2000 Server CD.
    >
    > WinInstall LE is an application that will allow you to create an .msi
    file.
    > Typically what you do is make a clean install of WIN2000 on a system.
    Take
    > that 'snapshot'. Then you make the changes that you need ( such as
    install
    > any software, create any shortcuts on the desktop, install the Updates,
    > whatever ). Then you take that 'snapshot'. WinInstall LE will then
    create
    > an .msi file from the difference. You can then use this .msi file to
    apply
    > whatever changes you made via GPO.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Cary
    >
    > "Martin H" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Brendon for fast answear!
    > > Isn't a eayser way? Like the way you can add bookmarks for every user?
    > > I dont know to much about VBScript - can I do it with a simple dos
    script?
    > > One more question - what cd are you talking about?
    > > Thanks again - Martin
    > >
    > > "Brendon Rogers" <brendon@nospam-itology.net> skrev i meddelandet
    > > > You can either create an MSI package which consists of the shortcut
    (use
    > > > WinInstall LE included on the CDROM) or write a VBScript to create the
    > > > shortcut.
    > > >
    > > > "Martin H" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > > > allusers)
    > script?

    Policy Maker Professional includes a true Group Policy extension for
    configuring shortcuts as policies, as well as extensions for many other
    things including printers, drive maps, mail profiles, etc.

    Regards,

    Eric Voskuil
    Policy Maker
    http://www.autoprof.com/policy

    > HI, I want to copy/create a shortcut on the users(or in the folder
    allusers)
    > desktop with GPO.
    > How can I do this? Is it an option in GPO or do I need to make a script?
    > Please let me know!
    > Thanks /Martin

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Martin,

    That sounds like the difference between assigning the GPO and publishing the
    GPO. When you assign the GPO it will install ( or do whatever it is
    supposed to do ) but when you publish the GPO it shows up in the Add/Remove
    Programs so that the user can install it whenever he/she needs to. I would
    opt for the assign option, which is what you said you did....

    What do you mean by "put" and "push"?

    Cary

    > Hi- thanks Cary
    > I downloaded WinInstall Le and created an msi by my own (not in snapshot
    > mode)
    > and got it to work..
    > I just got one problem left - when I "put" out the MSI to the user - the
    msi
    > package not install default -
    > But I can find it in the add/remove program - and if I push Install the
    msi
    > package start and the shortcut appears on the desktop
    > In the GPO I choose Assigned to user.
    > Nothing happens...
    > /Martin
    >
    > "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Martin,
    > >
    > > Brendon is talking about the WIN2000 Server CD.
    > >
    > > WinInstall LE is an application that will allow you to create an .msi
    > file.
    > > Typically what you do is make a clean install of WIN2000 on a system.
    > Take
    > > that 'snapshot'. Then you make the changes that you need ( such as
    > install
    > > any software, create any shortcuts on the desktop, install the Updates,
    > > whatever ). Then you take that 'snapshot'. WinInstall LE will then
    > create
    > > an .msi file from the difference. You can then use this .msi file to
    > apply
    > > whatever changes you made via GPO.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > >
    > > Cary
    > >
    > > "Martin H" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks Brendon for fast answear!
    > > > Isn't a eayser way? Like the way you can add bookmarks for every user?
    > > > I dont know to much about VBScript - can I do it with a simple dos
    > script?
    > > > One more question - what cd are you talking about?
    > > > Thanks again - Martin
    > > >
    > > > "Brendon Rogers" <brendon@nospam-itology.net> skrev i meddelandet
    > (use

    > > script?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi again!
    With "put" I mean I add a user to the OU contaning the GPO. :)
    With "push" I mean I click on the Install button in the Add/Remove---> Add
    programs from your network.

    Is it any option when I create the MSI package that I need to change?
    Becuase the msi is ASSIGN to the user - just as you told me...
    but it dont work... :(
    Any ideas?

    > Martin,
    >
    > That sounds like the difference between assigning the GPO and publishing
    the
    > GPO. When you assign the GPO it will install ( or do whatever it is
    > supposed to do ) but when you publish the GPO it shows up in the
    Add/Remove
    > Programs so that the user can install it whenever he/she needs to. I
    would
    > opt for the assign option, which is what you said you did....
    >
    > What do you mean by "put" and "push"?
    >
    > Cary
    >

    > "Martin H" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi- thanks Cary
    > > I downloaded WinInstall Le and created an msi by my own (not in snapshot
    > > mode)
    > > and got it to work..
    > > I just got one problem left - when I "put" out the MSI to the user - the
    > msi
    > > package not install default -
    > > But I can find it in the add/remove program - and if I push Install the
    > msi
    > > package start and the shortcut appears on the desktop
    > > In the GPO I choose Assigned to user.
    > > Nothing happens...
    > > /Martin
    > >
    > > "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
    > > > Martin,
    > > >
    > > > Brendon is talking about the WIN2000 Server CD.
    > > >
    > > > WinInstall LE is an application that will allow you to create an .msi
    > > file.
    > > > Typically what you do is make a clean install of WIN2000 on a system.
    > > Take
    > > > that 'snapshot'. Then you make the changes that you need ( such as
    > > install
    > > > any software, create any shortcuts on the desktop, install the
    Updates,
    > > > whatever ). Then you take that 'snapshot'. WinInstall LE will then
    > > create
    > > > an .msi file from the difference. You can then use this .msi file to
    > > apply
    > > > whatever changes you made via GPO.
    > > >
    > > > HTH,
    > > >
    > > > Cary