trying to upgrade memory on an older asus mobo

srennick

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
hi all...

first time poster here, hoping someone can help me with the following problem:

the above mother board has three memory slots that support ddr 2100/2700/3200 dimms.

i have 2 512mb ddr2100-256 dimms in it currently, but want to upgrade to 2 gb of 3200-400m (2 1gig sticks).

now the only way i can get the old memory recognized is by having the dimms in slots 1 and 3; if it isn't configured that way, i get the post code for no or bad memory.

so i pulled out the old memory, then inserted the new stuff in the same configuration, and was rewarded with the no or bad memory post code.

so i tried every configuration i could think of (both dimms in slots 1 and 3; slots 2-3, slots 1-2), then individually in each slot. the only configuration that works is one dimm in slot 3, for a total of 1 gig of ddr ram.

my motherboard manual indicates the board supports up to 3 gb of ram, but there are some limitations on the ddr3200-400 type.

the tables in the manual don't include dimms of 1 gb in size (only up to 512), but no the table indicating ddr400 ONE dimm support ONLY, samsung ram (which is what my 1gb dimms are) is listed. on the table for TWO dimm support ONLY, there are four brands of ddr400 ram listed, none of which is samsung.

so here's my question: will this motherboard only support two gb of ddr400 ram (despite the manual stating you can put 3gb in it), and then only if it's a certain brand?

thanks for any help you can offer!

steve

srennick

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004

i flashed it last night

i tried both dimms in every permutation last night

banks 1-2
2-3
1-3

at both 333mhz and auto (which i'm thinking defaults to 400)

also tried a single dimm in every bank...only way machine would boot was if the dimm was in bank 3

looks like i'm bringing it back <sigh>

what i'm trying to do is get every last bang for the buck out of my aging machine, but it looks like upgrading the ram ain't gonna go...despite the fact the mobo manual says it'll take up to 3 gigs (but it does include a special section about special considerations when it comes to pc3200).

thanks everybody!

steve

TRENDING THREADS