Need advice on CPU cooling.

I have a C2D processor with a Zalman 7700 on it, but I can seem to get the cpu temps down below 48 degrees celcius at idle, and about 65 to 68 under load. I have it overclocked to 3.4ghz on 1.28 voltage. I am using an abit AW9D board with corsair xms memory, 8800gts vid card bundled inside an antec 900 case. Any suggestions would be helpfull as I have seen peeps posting 38dg's celcius at idle. I have regular thermal paste also on the heatsink, nothing special like artic silver.
14 answers Last reply
More about need advice cooling
  1. You don't say which C2D processor you have, but you're asking a lot of air cooling. Assuming your heatsink is on right, you may have to back your processor down a little bit. Try it at 3GHz and see if its very much cooler.
  2. Well, I have your motherboard, case, RAM and an E6600. I have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro though rather than the Zalman. It has the thermal paste it came with and I'm running at 3.6GHz with 41C idle and 66C load.

    Firstly, which CPU do you have? What are you using to measure your temps, etc? My motherboard provides a standard voltage of 1.325 to the CPU...... do you perhaps have an E63/6400? I've also fitted an extra 2 120mm fans to my case. Note that it takes a while for thermal paste to bed in.

    Give us a bit more info please. :)
  3. I would like some help with this too.

    I have an E6300 not overclocked with an Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro using the thermal pad it comes with. It is fitted on right, but I'm running the fan at 100% and the temps are running JUST under 45c on idle. I'm thinking it may be because I have one 80mm fan in the back of the case for exhaust to take the hot air that comes from the fins in the back of the HS, out of the case. And my other fan is ANOTHER exhaust.

    Do you think I'll see drastic temperature changes if I put a 94mm fan in the front of the case for intake? Because my only thought is that there's not enough air going into it.

    But still....45c on idle for an arctic cooler freezer 7 pro seems amazingly high at 100%
  4. Quote:
    I would like some help with this too.

    I have an E6300 not overclocked with an Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro using the thermal pad it comes with. It is fitted on right, but I'm running the fan at 100% and the temps are running JUST under 45c on idle. I'm thinking it may be because I have one 80mm fan in the back of the case for exhaust to take the hot air that comes from the fins in the back of the HS, out of the case. And my other fan is ANOTHER exhaust.

    Do you think I'll see drastic temperature changes if I put a 94mm fan in the front of the case for intake? Because my only thought is that there's not enough air going into it.

    But still....45c on idle for an arctic cooler freezer 7 pro seems amazingly high at 100%


    Did you over volt your processor too? Can you back the votage down? It makes a big difference.

    As far as fans, I usually use my biggest fan to exhaust hot air from the case, but I'm not sure if it makes any difference.
  5. no the processor is the same as when it came out of the box.
  6. Yeah, an intake fan's a good idea
  7. Quote:
    I have a C2D processor with a Zalman 7700 on it, but I can seem to get the cpu temps down below 48 degrees celcius at idle, and about 65 to 68 under load. I have it overclocked to 3.4ghz on 1.28 voltage. I am using an abit AW9D board with corsair xms memory, 8800gts vid card bundled inside an antec 900 case. Any suggestions would be helpfull as I have seen peeps posting 38dg's celcius at idle. I have regular thermal paste also on the heatsink, nothing special like artic silver.


    The Zalman 7700 doesn't have enough thermal capacity to adequately cool your C2D. You need at least a 9500, or better yet, an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro. For more details on appropriate temps, check out the following topic:

    Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

    Hope this helps. 8)
  8. That thread was very confusing.....

    Core Temp always reports my tjunction as 85C whatever speed my CPU is at.........

    Do you think 41C idle and 66C load is safe for everyday usage? I have the CPU running on 1.4V. I know temp and voltage migration kill CPUs, but I read the other day that intel has clocked C2D CPUs at very conservative levels.....
  9. Quote:
    That thread was very confusing.....

    Core Temp always reports my tjunction as 85C whatever speed my CPU is at.........

    Do you think 41C idle and 66C load is safe for everyday usage? I have the CPU running on 1.4V. I know temp and voltage migration kill CPUs, but I read the other day that intel has clocked C2D CPUs at very conservative levels.....


    Those temps should really be no problem. Keep in mind that the temps shown in ortho or prime95 are far higher than you will see during normal use including gaming.

    The tjunction should always be the same. It is the temp at which the chip will throttle down.
  10. Quote:
    That thread was very confusing.....

    Core Temp always reports my tjunction as 85C whatever speed my CPU is at.........


    That is correct. If you look closely at Core Temp, the field where Tjunction is displayed as 85c isn't intended to show any other values, because it's merely a notation of Intel's Thermal Junction Maximum (Tj max) specification, which is 85c. As I stated in my post, 75c is hot, 80c is overtemp where TAT redlines and CPU throttling begins, and 85c is shutdown, which is Tj max.

    Quote:
    Do you think 41C idle and 66C load is safe for everyday usage? I have the CPU running on 1.4V. I know temp and voltage migration kill CPUs, but I read the other day that intel has clocked C2D CPUs at very conservative levels.....


    As for your temps, my own rig peaks at 67c with Core Temp, so you're fine. If you take another look at my post and just visualize the temp scale, it's easy to see what constitutes normal temps. I hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have any further questions. 8)
  11. Thanks a lot for the clarity (and very polite tone) of your reply. You have allayed my fears. :D
  12. You are most welcome. I'm always happy to help. 8)
  13. Another quick question then, though completely off topic..... I noticed in your sig you have two HDDs (raptors, no less) in RAID0. Does this improve your windows boot time? I only ask because I was recently comparing my PCMark scores with someone else, and their windows boot time was almost half mine, and I wondered how they'd acheived this...... I just have the one Raptor 150.
  14. Quote:
    I noticed in your sig you have two HDDs (raptors, no less) in RAID0. Does this improve your windows boot time?


    Prior to the 150's, I was running a pair of 37's through 2 previous platforms, upgraded from a singe Raptor 37. Although I've kept a record of benchmarks, I don't have scores to reference 2 150's as compared with 1. However, I can say that 2 37's as compared with 1, cut my boot time by approximately 1/3, so it's likely that 150's would behave in a similar way. Also, my RAID0 150's boot twice as fast as my PATA 100 backup drive. Over the past several years, I've benchmarked HDD's from a single PATA 100 drive through Raptor 150's in RAID0, and scores have increased from ~1000 to ~ 3500.

    Quote:
    ...I was recently comparing my PCMark scores with someone else, and their windows boot time was almost half mine, and I wondered how they'd acheived this......


    There are too many unknown hardware and software environment variables to make an accurate determination, but major factors involve how many processes are being started, peripherals attached, drivers being loaded, registry clutter, and tray trash. I've been running the same XP load for nearly 5 years through 4 total hardware platform upgrades, and still have fast boot times, only because I've been extremely anal about maintaining current backups, investing the time to keep the software updated, the registry squeeky clean, and the tray clear of resource hungry clutter.

    Hope this helps. 8)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Product