VPNs ActiveSync & Terminal Svcs

April 12, 2005 4:32:57 PM

Can anyone point me in the direction of something that explains how
connection manager works?

I have an XDA2. I connect to "Mobile Web GPRS" and can surf and pick up mail
via pop3. I can also connect to my VPN server as the connect to the the VPN
option appears when I tap the little aerial symbol. When I connect I can see
from VPN logs that it is connected.

However as soon as I try and do anything the Mobile Web Connection drops and
the Mobile WAP fires up and I can't do anything, connect to VPN, run term
client.

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:32:58 PM

Well it depends on what you mean by you try to do anything after connecting
to your vpn. Connection Manager has a logic to it, but it's kinda weird. If
you connect to your VPN, can you use the internal network? It may also take a
minute or two after disconnecting from VPN to be able to use the regular
GPRS. It shouldn't but its a possibility.

"Fraggle" wrote:

> Can anyone point me in the direction of something that explains how
> connection manager works?
>
> I have an XDA2. I connect to "Mobile Web GPRS" and can surf and pick up mail
> via pop3. I can also connect to my VPN server as the connect to the the VPN
> option appears when I tap the little aerial symbol. When I connect I can see
> from VPN logs that it is connected.
>
> However as soon as I try and do anything the Mobile Web Connection drops and
> the Mobile WAP fires up and I can't do anything, connect to VPN, run term
> client.
>
> Any help gratefully appreciated.

April 12, 2005 10:48:38 PM

If I connect to the VPN and then try access anything on the internal
network - saying using the terminal services client to an internal server -
then the VPN drops and the WAP connection fires up.

I've tried enetering the IP address of the remote pc in the exceptions
dialogue but that makes no difference.

What I'd really love to do is run activesync up with my desktop PC when out
of the office over the VPN...
"-Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well it depends on what you mean by you try to do anything after
> connecting
> to your vpn. Connection Manager has a logic to it, but it's kinda weird.
> If
> you connect to your VPN, can you use the internal network? It may also
> take a
> minute or two after disconnecting from VPN to be able to use the regular
> GPRS. It shouldn't but its a possibility.
>
> "Fraggle" wrote:
>
>> Can anyone point me in the direction of something that explains how
>> connection manager works?
>>
>> I have an XDA2. I connect to "Mobile Web GPRS" and can surf and pick up
>> mail
>> via pop3. I can also connect to my VPN server as the connect to the the
>> VPN
>> option appears when I tap the little aerial symbol. When I connect I can
>> see
>> from VPN logs that it is connected.
>>
>> However as soon as I try and do anything the Mobile Web Connection drops
>> and
>> the Mobile WAP fires up and I can't do anything, connect to VPN, run term
>> client.
>>
>> Any help gratefully appreciated.

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:28:51 PM

try deleting every connection in connection manager and starting over. even
better would be to hard-reset your device and start over. i know it defies
logic that one should not mess with the default settings in connection
manager, but they often do work on their own.

Now, create the VPN connection and try connecting. in my connection settings
screen (which is on the default setings I think) lists my GPRS connection on
top and my work below that. on work, tap manange my existing connections and
if you've already entered the VPN info, then switch to the proxy settings tab
and make sure thats correct. assuming you have a proxy server on your work
network you should enter your proxy info and it'll tell connection manager to
forget abotu trying to disconnect your VPN. heck.... try that first before
you mess with the rest.

also, download http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html for ping and ip utilities.

!