MS Works circa 1996

Hi

I have some archived documents on floppy disc, created using MS Works during
1995/96. The docs have .wps extension. I have tried opening with Word2000
but just get a garbled mess. What do I use to open them?

--
Many Thanks

Enquirer
8 answers Last reply
More about works circa 1996

    Purchase and install Microsoft Works.

    Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (also includes Microsoft Word)
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=88ef866c-23d8-4105-b196-a3d05a8f7234&type=ovr

    ($99.95 - $20.00 rebate = $79.95) (excellent value)

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "enquirer" wrote:

    | Hi
    |
    | I have some archived documents on floppy disc, created using MS Works during
    | 1995/96. The docs have .wps extension. I have tried opening with Word2000
    | but just get a garbled mess. What do I use to open them?
    |
    | --
    | Many Thanks
    |
    | Enquirer

    Hi,

    Using Word2000, click file/open. Then in the file types dialog, change it to
    ..wps before opening the old files.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have some archived documents on floppy disc, created using MS Works
    > during 1995/96. The docs have .wps extension. I have tried opening with
    > Word2000 but just get a garbled mess. What do I use to open them?
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    You may need a converter given the age difference. Check this out
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b16eb3c-6df6-4545-89ff-05c627fba36b&DisplayLang=en

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have some archived documents on floppy disc, created using MS Works
    during
    > 1995/96. The docs have .wps extension. I have tried opening with
    Word2000
    > but just get a garbled mess. What do I use to open them?
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    I have OfficePro2000 with Word. Isn't that the same? My original posting
    did say that I already have word.

    --
    Many Thanks

    Enquirer

    > Purchase and install Microsoft Works.
    >
    > Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (also includes Microsoft Word)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=88ef866c-23d8-4105-b196-a3d05a8f7234&type=ovr
    >
    > ($99.95 - $20.00 rebate = $79.95) (excellent value)
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "enquirer" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi
    > |
    > | I have some archived documents on floppy disc, created using MS Works
    > during
    > | 1995/96. The docs have .wps extension. I have tried opening with
    > Word2000
    > | but just get a garbled mess. What do I use to open them?
    > |
    > | --
    > | Many Thanks
    > |
    > | Enquirer

    From MS Word 2002 Help:

    Obtain file format converters
    The most commonly used converters are installed with Microsoft Word by
    default. If you want to open or save in a format that's not installed by
    default, you may need to obtain additional converters.

    Note You can open documents created in Microsoft Word 2000, 97, 95, 6.0,
    or 2.0 directly in Microsoft Word 2002. All data and formatting created in
    these versions of Word are fully supported in Word 2002.

    Converters supplied with Word:
    Opening or saving in Word:
    Microsoft Works 4.0 for Windows
    Opens and saves Works 4.0 files.
    Microsoft Works 2000 for Windows
    Opens and saves Works 2000 files.

    Convert a single file from another file format
    1. On the File menu, click Open.
    2. Locate the file you want to open, and then click Open.

    Convert several documents at once
    1. Place the documents you want to convert in a single folder.
    2. On the File menu, click New.
    3. In the New Document task pane, under New from template, click General
    templates.
    4. Click the Other Documents tab.
    5. Double-click Batch Conversion Wizard.
    6. Follow the directions on the screen.

    Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users
    The Works 6.0 Converter allows you to convert word processor documents
    created in Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word and other Works programs.
    Specifically, this converter works with Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x, and Word
    2002, 2000, and 97 on machines running Microsoft Windows® 98, 2000
    Professional, Millennium Edition, and XP.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9e11e83-f51b-4977-b572-8c042df802c1&displaylang=en

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:SAvNd.1234$Bp2.802@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
    enquirer <enquirer.com@virgin.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I have OfficePro2000 with Word. Isn't that the same? My original
    > posting did say that I already have word.
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    >> Purchase and install Microsoft Works.
    >>
    >> Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (also includes Microsoft Word)

    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=88ef866c-23d8-4105-b196-a3d05a8f7234&type=ovr

    >> ($99.95 - $20.00 rebate = $79.95) (excellent value)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    -----

    >> "enquirer" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I have some archived documents on floppy disc, created using MS
    >>> Works during 1995/96. The docs have .wps extension. I have tried
    >>> opening with Word2000 but just get a garbled mess. What do I use
    >>> to open them?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Many Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Enquirer

    Here is a link for the download of the Works to Word converter:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9e11e83-f51b-4977-b572-8c042df802c1&displaylang=en

    Have you used the drop down menu of file types to see if the .wps extension
    is there.

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I have OfficePro2000 with Word. Isn't that the same? My original posting
    >did say that I already have word.
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    >> Purchase and install Microsoft Works.
    >>
    >> Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (also includes Microsoft Word)
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=88ef866c-23d8-4105-b196-a3d05a8f7234&type=ovr
    >>
    >> ($99.95 - $20.00 rebate = $79.95) (excellent value)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    >> "enquirer" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Hi
    >> |
    >> | I have some archived documents on floppy disc, created using MS Works
    >> during
    >> | 1995/96. The docs have .wps extension. I have tried opening with
    >> Word2000
    >> | but just get a garbled mess. What do I use to open them?
    >> |
    >> | --
    >> | Many Thanks
    >> |
    >> | Enquirer

    Get the free WORKS converters for MS WORD, on the MS
    download server.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
    message news:eb9MV5IDFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | Purchase and install Microsoft Works.
    |
    | Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (also includes Microsoft Word)

    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=88ef866c-23d8-4105-b196-a3d05a8f7234&type=ovr

    | ($99.95 - $20.00 rebate = $79.95) (excellent value)
    |
    | --
    | Carey Frisch
    | Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP - Shell/User
    | Microsoft Newsgroups
    |
    | Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |
    | "enquirer" wrote:
    |
    || Hi
    || I have some archived documents on floppy disc, created
    using MS Works during
    || 1995/96. The docs have .wps extension. I have tried
    opening with Word2000
    || but just get a garbled mess. What do I use to open them?
    || --
    || Many Thanks
    || Enquirer

    MS Word is not MS Works. They are two separate Microsoft Products.

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I have OfficePro2000 with Word. Isn't that the same? My original posting
    >did say that I already have word.
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    >> Purchase and install Microsoft Works.
    >>
    >> Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (also includes Microsoft Word)
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=88ef866c-23d8-4105-b196-a3d05a8f7234&type=ovr
    >>
    >> ($99.95 - $20.00 rebate = $79.95) (excellent value)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    >> "enquirer" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Hi
    >> |
    >> | I have some archived documents on floppy disc, created using MS Works
    >> during
    >> | 1995/96. The docs have .wps extension. I have tried opening with
    >> Word2000
    >> | but just get a garbled mess. What do I use to open them?
    >> |
    >> | --
    >> | Many Thanks
    >> |
    >> | Enquirer

Floppy Disk Microsoft Extension Windows XP