Trouble with folder synchronization

Hi Everyone,

Our company has mandatory profiles setup for the users
(which are broken into 4 departments), and a GPO applied
to the OUs in order to redirect to the appropriate
department's Start Menu's. I like this option because it
allows me to change the Start Menu in real-time.

However, when the users logoff, there is a synchronization
process that occurs. I've found that if the user changes
the Start Menu (accidentally or purposely) the changes are
replicated to the profile on the server. Is there a way
to stop this synchronization? Our setup works like a gem
except for this one flaw. Thanks for your help!
2 answers Last reply
More about trouble folder synchronization

    I have no experience with redirecting the start menu, but
    is it possible to apply NTFS permissions to the
    network 'version' of it so that only domain admins have
    full control rights while the rest of the user population
    has only read and execute? Might be simplistic, and just
    might work.

    The user would probably end up with an error
    message "Access denied" if they made a change and it
    tried to sync up.

    Just an idea,

    Ken :)

    Well, the folder permissions are set to "read & list
    folder contents" for Domain Users, and I also set the
    directory as "read-only" but it still sychronizes. I have
    to believe that as granular as GPOs are able to get, there
    must be some way to turn this off. Thanks!

Start Menu Microsoft Windows