Sign in with
Your question

Asus A7V8X-X and AMD ATHLON XP3200 CPU 333FS

Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2007 3:41:56 PM

I have the Asus A7V8X-x motherboard and just bought a ATHLON XP3200 CPU 333FS CPU and just read your article: High-Flying: AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Squares Off Against Intel P4 3 GHz
Frank Völkel, Bert Töpelt
May 13, 2003 13:00
This time around, you are not going to get by with just upgrading your CPU. The reason is simple: the only way you'll be able to run an FSB clock of 200 MHz stably is with a second-version Nvidia nForce 2 chipset. Older chipset revisions aren't stable at 200 MHz; we've discussed and demonstrated this problem with Nvidia at several meetings. At the time, Nvidia didn't think that an increased FSB clock was a big deal - at least, until the company came out with another chipset revision that now works without a hitch. Plus, if you want optimal performance, there's no way around a board with a dual-channel RAM interface (read: Nvidia's nForce 2).
I'm now wondering whether my motherboard will now support this CPU?
January 16, 2007 4:03:21 PM

Of course it will, where's the problem, don't see one ?
The CPU runs at 333 MHz and the memory at 200 MHz, no problem with that board.
January 21, 2007 3:06:15 PM

Well my cpu (AMD Athlon XP 3200+)just came in and I plugged it in and nothing happens! My power supply doesn't come on. I have a 350W power supply. I put my old 2500 cpu in and it works fine. Do you think I need a bigger power supply?
I also purchased the new PowerColor X1950 PRO and it says minimum power supply is 450W. The other thing it says is that in needs a 30A on a 12v rail. I don't see any power supply with that. Does anyone have any comments on this?
By the way I wrote the manufacturer on this card before I purchased it and they said "there were no specical power requirements". Do you think they just wanted to make a sell?

My system:
Asus A7N8X-X
1GB Corsair RAM 2700
DVD recorder & player
CD player
350W PS

Thanks in advance!
January 21, 2007 3:42:44 PM

its more than likely youll need dual 12v rails on your psu (+12v #1 and +12v #2), in order to power the gpu... the dual 12v rails 'can' easily exceed 30amps combined, depending on the psu specs... which might mean getting a new psu then
!