Sign in with
Your question

Need major help... getting very deppressed

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2007 3:58:14 PM

I've been posting in the forums for a few weeks now to get advice on building my dream computer. Well yesterday I built it... and it doesn't work. There is no beep or anything, no signal is sent to the monitor (not sure if thats due to there being no sound wire connected to the part where all the things like Power SW connect... it seems absent from the Nine Hundred Case). Its just a black screen.

I've tried making sure everything was connected to the PSU. It turned out my x1950xt graphics card needed connecting. But I did that and still nothing. I took out the battery to reset the bios. No change. Apart from that I don't know what to do. The manual for the mobo (P5W DH) says to check power connections and jumpers but I've checked the PSU connections and I don't see how changing the jumpers will help. All these components are new, I don't know why it doing this to me. My friend has some experence in building PCs but he's also stumped.

So annoying. I feel so stressed.

Please can anyone tell me what maybe wrong and what I should do?

More about : major deppressed

January 16, 2007 4:05:25 PM

Quote:
I've been posting in the forums for a few weeks now to get advice on building my dream computer. Well yesterday I built it... and it doesn't work. There is no beep or anything, no signal is sent to the monitor (not sure if thats due to there being no sound wire connected to the part where all the things like Power SW connect... it seems absent from the Nine Hundred Case). Its just a black screen.

I've tried making sure everything was connected to the PSU. It turned out my x1950xt graphics card needed connecting. But I did that and still nothing. I took out the battery to reset the bios. No change. Apart from that I don't know what to do. The manual for the mobo (P5W DH) says to check power connections and jumpers but I've checked the PSU connections and I don't see how changing the jumpers will help. All these components are new, I don't know why it doing this to me. My friend has some experence in building PCs but he's also stumped.

So annoying. I feel so stressed.

Please can anyone tell me what maybe wrong and what I should do?

Did you connect the starter switch to the right pins on the motherboard? Move it around and keep trying. Make sure all cables or snuggly together, that the PSU power switch is actually one, etc., then report back.
January 16, 2007 4:25:35 PM

Quote:
Did you connect the starter switch to the right pins on the motherboard? Move it around and keep trying. Make sure all cables or snuggly together, that the PSU power switch is actually one, etc., then report back.

Yep all connected properly to the best of my knowledge. Cables are as tidy as can be. The PSU switch is on. I mean the mobo light is working, as are the case fans, etc.

Not sure what else I can do?
Related resources
January 16, 2007 4:33:07 PM

Quote:

Yep all connected properly to the best of my knowledge. Cables are as tidy as can be. The PSU switch is on. I mean the mobo light is working, as are the case fans, etc.

Not sure what else I can do?

Reset the CMOS and try again. After that, RMA the board.
January 16, 2007 4:37:55 PM

i've rest the CMOS but i'll try again, but how do i RMA the board?
January 16, 2007 4:44:18 PM

I highly recommend making sure the power switch is connected correctly. Also make sure if there is a secondary switch on the PSU (it would be near where you hook the power cord up on the back) is in the ON. Just be extra sure you've checked all the no brainer stuff first.

My first PC failed to boot because I didn't wire the power button correctly to the motherboard. Took my about 10 minutes to figure it out.

Good luck.
January 16, 2007 4:49:08 PM

Javno, you don't go into too much detail on what you are seeing or what you have tried, so I'm going to assume that nothing is happening at all...no fans turning, no leds lighting up...nothing. Don't be offended by the simplicity of the first few items on my list...most of them have happened to me or someone I know at some point.

So here we go.

1) does the electric socket have power? Test it with a lamp or something.
2) is your computer plugged in to the socket? Is the cable from the socket plugged in to your power supply?
3) Is it a bad cable? If you have another cable you can try, swap it out to see.
4) Is the switch on the back of your power supply (assuming there is one) switched on? Try it in both positions to see.
5)Is the 24 pin power connector firmly seated onto the motherboard?
6)There is an additional 4-pin power connector that must be plugged in near the CPU, is that plugged in?

Note that there is a green LED light on bottom right-hand corner of the motherboard (assuming the back ports are the upper left) that should light up if the motherboard has power. If this is not lit, then you have a power issue. If this is lit, then it is probably something else, like a switch, grounding, or some other component.

7)Is the power switch connector from the case plugged into the correct pins on the motherboard? Is it oriented correctly? Try flipping it around.

Those are some things to check first, before pulling everything out and trying the components in a different case. I've had a case before that wouldn't ground properly to a motherboard, and the fans would twitch when I hit the power button, and then nothing.

If none of those things work, I would suggest pulling it apart and checking to be sure you have all of the brass motherboard standoffs in the correct positions, and don't have an extra one somewhere causing a short.

In any case, it is a good idea to unhook anything not essential when troubleshooting, that lowers the number of things that could be causing the problem. Then start adding the components back until the problem reasserts itself. Then you know which part is the culprit.

Hope that helps!

-G
January 16, 2007 4:59:26 PM

Hey, sorry to hear it's going badly.
On top of the other stuff folks have recommended, I'd suggest taking out the mobo and making sure there are risers ONLY in the locations you have to screw the mobo in. Leaving a riser in the case that doesn't correspond to a hole in the mobo can mean it touches the back of the mobo and shorts it making it fail to boot. Good luck.
January 16, 2007 5:11:30 PM

So if you're getting power then it sounds like the motherboard isn't getting the signal. take the power sw wires off the motherboard and use a flat head screwdriver to short the two power switch pins. If this doesn't work then unhook the psu from the motherboard, turn the psu off at the back, jump the green and any black wire on the 24 pin connector with a paper clip, attach a couple of fans and hdd's then flip the switch on the psu to "on". If the fans don't start up then it's the psu, if the fans start up then it's the motherboard.

All of that is assuming that when you hit the power switch nothing at all is happening, optical drive doesn't spin up, fans don't turn on... etc. If any of that is happening and you're just having trouble POSTing then unhook everthing except for motherboard, ram, cpu and gpu. With the ram use only one stick in the first slot.
January 16, 2007 5:40:06 PM

Try to reseat the ide and floppy cables and of course check everything the other guys suggest. If the fans are moving, then you definetely have to check the ide cables!
Good luck.
January 16, 2007 5:42:28 PM

Umm thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it :) 

But its my fault for not being clear. The green light on the mobo is present and the fans, etc, are spinning. But the screen gets no signal it seems. Only thing I can think of is the graphics card being broken, which is why nothing displays.

The mobo is all wired up properly, and is fitted on the brass standoffs correctly. The PSU wires to the mobo including the 4-pin CPU wire are all fitted properly as well. I don't think its a PSU problem as its working. The problem as I see it is the PC is not going into bios and signalling the monitor.

Is there something I missed about the P5W DH that I need to do? Are there any other things I can try?

Cheers for any help =)
January 16, 2007 5:44:30 PM

Since so much other good advice has been given already, heres one other thing. Please list your system components/brands/specs. There have been certain boards that didn't like certain memory recently due to factory timings etc and so on. Just so people trying to help have as much info as possible. It surely can't hurt. Sorry to hear your dilema.
January 16, 2007 5:47:11 PM

Btw I have a:

P5W DH
E6600
620W Corsair
Corsair XMS2 6400 Pro (one stick of 1GB)
Antec Nine Hundred Case
X1950XT Graphics Card
2*160GB Seagate Barracuda Hardrives.
January 16, 2007 6:03:23 PM

Do you have another video card that you can try? If not, can you buy a cheap PCI-x card to try, like a very cheap one from Walmart or something.

If it is your video card, the system will turn on, but no display. You can try reseating the video card, but if you believe it's bad, that won't fix the problem.

The only other thing you can try is putting the memory in another slot, and see if it works then.

Good luck.
January 16, 2007 6:03:44 PM

that motherboard sometimes ships with a BIOS that can't handle core 2 duos. Here is someones review on ebuyer:

Quote:
As part of a new build got everything connected to antec server 550 case,2.4 core duo processor 2 GB geil DDR800 memory,and hey presto -nothing not even a post bleep!
After much cursing and reading asus site realised must have been a small?? number of m/b not bios updated-so changed to older processor and updated bios (see asus site) and away we go-the board has great features and anyone new to building computers will need the helpful manual.
Expensive but loads of features-but be warned regarding BIOS update if yours doesnt work on core duo!!.Good luck

here's a link to the page:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2...

some other people on there also have advice.
January 16, 2007 6:54:12 PM

Is the little case speaker hooked up? And do the harddrive/optical drives spin up....Do the keyboard LEDs blink?

Just trying to figure out if the machine is chugging along happily without any video....Sometimes LCD monitors don't work well with the bios during post if you are connected with the DVI.....You could try the analog VGA hook up or try a different monitor (CRT).

GL,
Bill
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2007 7:22:50 PM

If the fans are working, listen closely to see if you can hear the hard drive reading / writing. If you hear the faint yet distinctive rhythmic clicking of the hard drive head reading then the system is booting. Listen closely as some new drives are very quiet, but not silent. You can definitely hear it with the case cover off and putting your ear close to the drive.

If you hear the drive reading/writing, my guess is the system is posting and booting, it's just that the video signal isn't getting to the monitor. Could be a dead video card.

Another option to consider is, on some flat panel and CRT monitors, they have the option for more than one video source for input. (VGA, DVI, S-Video, etc...) Check to see if there's a switch or button to change / cycle through input sources. We had a customer complaining of a similar priblem and it turned out that he had accidentally hit the button to change the input source.

As always, make sure your cable connection to the monitor is tight. Check both power and signal cables.

If you don't hear any hard drive read/write activity, maybe just the drive motor spinning up, then the system isn't posting or booting and you probably have a MoBo or even a power problem.

PS - This is why I never throw out my old PCI video cards. :wink:
January 16, 2007 7:29:26 PM

This is going to sound really weird, but I have a similar setup and had a similar issues. Two things... 1) Antec sucks for not giving us a cheap PC speaker that connects to the mobo! 2) My computer would boot, but no display. Turned out the video card wasn't seated properly. Sadly, I had to wiggle the card around (while the comptuer is unplugged (as in, no power cord in the wall!) until the computer would decide to give me a display. Also, does the HDD light blink when you turn it on or does it stay steady?
January 16, 2007 7:30:01 PM

If you have a PC Club in your area you can go buy a video card to make sure yours isnt fryed then return after you try it (7 day return policy no questions asked) got to love that policy! Good luck!
January 16, 2007 9:49:27 PM

Again, thanks for the replies guys :) 

As a couple of you said for me to do, I checked the hardrives. They don't seem to be making any noise and the light is not moving.

I don't have another socket 775 CPU to check if the BIOS needs updating, but it says its Core Duo2 ready on the front of the box and in the manual. Plus I don't have another PCi-e CARD to check if its the graphics card... though since I don't hear any sound, etc, from the hardrives, I don't think graphics are the issue (though I maybe wrong). I'm begining to think it must be the motherboard... though thats the only part I was really extra careful with.

I just did all the wires again to make sure they're tight but still nothing.

Not sure what else to try... I appreciate the help I've been given here and I will try to do some more stuff to it.
January 17, 2007 1:21:56 AM

You haven't answered yet. Did you check the ide and floppy cables? A flopppy cable can ruin your day!!!!
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2007 2:48:53 AM

My P5W DH also came with the "Core2Duo Ready" sticker on the box, but I still had to update the BIOS in order for it to work with my E6600. Luckily, I had a Pentium D 930 on hand with which to do this with.

I recommend that you contact whomever you purchased the board from and find out what their policy is on this situation. Run it up to ASUS if you have to. You have supposedly purchased a compatible processor, haven't you? But if you have to purchase another processor altogether just so you can get your motherboard to work, then what is the point?

Also, check the seating on both your RAM and you video card. If your RAM was loose, the machine should have beeped at you (if your case has a speaker). If your video card was loose, then your machine would merrily keep booting into BIOS with you none the wiser, since nothing would come up on the display. If neither one of these seems to be the issue, then I suspect the BIOS.

In any case, you should immediately flash the BIOS to the most recent version available on the ASUS support site. If you have a good friend who has a Celeron/Pentium 4/D socket 775 processor, see if they will let you borrow it for a few minutes. If nothing else, go down to your trusty PC shop and see if they will update the BIOS for you for a reasonable fee if you don't have a friend like the one I described above.
January 17, 2007 3:35:33 PM

Hi guys. I took my computer to a repair shop after failing to fix it yesterday. Turns out my memory was faulty. So I've ordered some new stuff. Its good to know what the problem was, but its a bitch to pay someone £50 just to look at it for an hour lol

Thanks again guys =)
!