Older Machine

I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard Drive. It
currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to install a newer Win
version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what would be the best
compromise (98,ME,XP)?

--
Many Thanks

Enquirer
15 answers Last reply
More about older machine

    In news:dsvNd.1227$Bp2.851@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
    enquirer <enquirer.com@virgin.net> typed:

    > I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard
    > Drive. It currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to
    > install a newer
    > Win version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what
    > would be
    > the best compromise (98,ME,XP)?

    XP is not an option. Microsoft's minimum RAM requirement for XP
    is 64MB, but that isn't even close to what's required for decent
    performance. How much RAM you need depends on what apps you run,
    but I wouldn't recommend that anyone run XP without at least
    256MB.

    Even if you were to upgrade to 256MB, your processor is at the
    very bottom of those that will run XP. You are not likely to be
    happy with its performance.

    I would run Windows 98.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    enquirer wrote:
    > I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard Drive. It
    > currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to install a newer Win
    > version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what would be the best
    > compromise (98,ME,XP)?

    I'm running WinXP Pro on an Intel Celeron 1.7GHz PC133 with 512MB
    without any problems. You're going to have to boost up your ram from
    32MB to at least 128MB but 256MB is better. When I had the 128 DIMMs
    installed XP worked but it overloaded virtual memory with multiple
    applications open. When I installed 256 I had to use a memory manager
    for the OS and apps to work around 194MB. And now that I have 512MB, it
    uses 248MB. Results may not be the same for you but pretty close.

    98se will give you best performance......

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard Drive. It
    >currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to install a newer Win
    >version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what would be the best
    >compromise (98,ME,XP)?
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    Win98, and you should still at least double the installed ram, and consider
    a larger hard drive.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard Drive. It
    >currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to install a newer Win
    >version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what would be the best
    >compromise (98,ME,XP)?
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    Try to bring the RAM up to 128MB and then install Windows 2000. I have
    several of these machines running Windows 2000 and they do really well for
    the basics - e-mail, surfing and basic apps like Office programs.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard Drive. It
    > currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to install a newer Win
    > version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what would be the best
    > compromise (98,ME,XP)?
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    Given the expense to upgrade the machine to meet minimum, much less
    recommended requirements, and given the bargain prices on new boxes, I
    recommend a new box. I do not recommend moving to Win98 because it is not
    as secure as XP. See this link for requirements and recommendations for XP
    Home:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard Drive. It
    >currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to install a newer Win
    >version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what would be the best
    >compromise (98,ME,XP)?
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    Can you increase the RAM memory to 64 or even 128 mb? Check what the
    motherboard will allow. The hard drive is small. I would forget ME or XP
    and consider 98SE. However, watch what you spend as it may be "dead
    money".

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard Drive. It
    >currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to install a newer Win
    >version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what would be the
    >best compromise (98,ME,XP)?
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    I see 2 options:
    1) Linux - choose your flavor - it should run quite well on a PII 233,
    32MB, just don't run Xwindows (KDE or GNU) - command line should be fine.
    2) Boat Anchor or Artificial Reef of the Coast of "anywhere you fill
    in", but remove any of the toxic materials first.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    enquirer wrote:
    > I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard Drive. It
    > currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to install a newer
    > Win version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what would be
    > the best compromise (98,ME,XP)?

    I have not actually tried this myself, but 98Lite
    (http://www.litepc.com/preview.html) may be worth a shot.

    If not you are probably best off sticking with 95. A full blown 98 is a pain
    with only 32 MB RAM. Of course, you can't count on fixes for security flaws
    popping up, so make damn sure you have an updated antivirus, properly
    configured firewall and a fastened seat belt at all times.

    Apart from that you will at least need to upgrade your RAM to be able to
    install any other desktop OS. You _might_ be able to use the computer for
    some sort of network server (web, file, printer, DNS, firewall, whatever you
    need) with Linux or some other open source OS, but any desktop usage with
    such an OS on this computer is out of the question.

    First off your hard drive is not large enough to handle windows xp, I would
    go to win 98 or win 98se. Hope this helps, Bill.
    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard Drive. It
    >currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to install a newer Win
    >version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what would be the best
    >compromise (98,ME,XP)?
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    98se

    "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    > enquirer wrote:
    > > I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard Drive. It
    > > currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to install a newer
    > > Win version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what would be
    > > the best compromise (98,ME,XP)?
    >
    > I have not actually tried this myself, but 98Lite
    > (http://www.litepc.com/preview.html) may be worth a shot.
    >
    > If not you are probably best off sticking with 95. A full blown 98 is a
    pain
    > with only 32 MB RAM. Of course, you can't count on fixes for security
    flaws
    > popping up, so make damn sure you have an updated antivirus, properly
    > configured firewall and a fastened seat belt at all times.
    >
    > Apart from that you will at least need to upgrade your RAM to be able to
    > install any other desktop OS. You _might_ be able to use the computer for
    > some sort of network server (web, file, printer, DNS, firewall, whatever
    you
    > need) with Linux or some other open source OS, but any desktop usage with
    > such an OS on this computer is out of the question.

    Not completely true... I easliy got XP installed on an OLD 120MHz 6x86
    machine with 32 megs of memory, and win XP runs much faster and cleaner than
    98SE ever did, and it really shows on that system. It's mainly due to the
    lack of DOS overhead that 98SE has.

    It was a very interesting experience :)

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:dsvNd.1227$Bp2.851@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
    > enquirer <enquirer.com@virgin.net> typed:
    >
    > > I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard
    > > Drive. It currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to
    > > install a newer
    > > Win version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what
    > > would be
    > > the best compromise (98,ME,XP)?
    >

    > XP is not an option. Microsoft's minimum RAM requirement for XP
    > is 64MB, but that isn't even close to what's required for decent
    > performance. How much RAM you need depends on what apps you run,
    > but I wouldn't recommend that anyone run XP without at least
    > 256MB.
    >
    > Even if you were to upgrade to 256MB, your processor is at the
    > very bottom of those that will run XP. You are not likely to be
    > happy with its performance.
    >
    > I would run Windows 98.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Full of it.

    In news:A3C4A9A7-8D23-4876-82D2-42B2DEB71E34@microsoft.com,
    Bryan Schuman <Bryan Schuman@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Not completely true... I easliy got XP installed on an OLD
    > 120MHz 6x86
    > machine with 32 megs of memory, and win XP runs much faster and
    > cleaner than 98SE ever did, and it really shows on that system.
    > It's
    > mainly due to the lack of DOS overhead that 98SE has.
    >
    > It was a very interesting experience :)

    I don't like to claim someone isn't being truthful, but I have a
    lot of trouble believing that.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:dsvNd.1227$Bp2.851@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
    >> enquirer <enquirer.com@virgin.net> typed:
    >>
    >>> I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard
    >>> Drive. It currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to
    >>> install a newer
    >>> Win version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what
    >>> would be
    >>> the best compromise (98,ME,XP)?
    >>

    >> XP is not an option. Microsoft's minimum RAM requirement for
    >> XP
    >> is 64MB, but that isn't even close to what's required for
    >> decent
    >> performance. How much RAM you need depends on what apps you
    >> run,
    >> but I wouldn't recommend that anyone run XP without at least
    >> 256MB.
    >>
    >> Even if you were to upgrade to 256MB, your processor is at the
    >> very bottom of those that will run XP. You are not likely to
    >> be
    >> happy with its performance.
    >>
    >> I would run Windows 98.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    I believe you entirely, but millions probably won't. :-)

    --

    johnf

    > Not completely true... I easliy got XP installed on an OLD 120MHz 6x86
    > machine with 32 megs of memory, and win XP runs much faster and cleaner
    > than 98SE ever did, and it really shows on that system. It's mainly
    > due to the lack of DOS overhead that 98SE has.
    >
    > It was a very interesting experience :)
    >

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:dsvNd.1227$Bp2.851@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
    >> enquirer <enquirer.com@virgin.net> typed:
    >>
    >> > I have a PII 233mhz MMX, 512k cache 32 MB Ram and 4.8GB Hard
    >> > Drive. It currently has Win95 installed, but I would like to
    >> > install a newer
    >> > Win version. I don't want to run in "crippled" mode so what
    >> > would be
    >> > the best compromise (98,ME,XP)?
    >>

    >> XP is not an option. Microsoft's minimum RAM requirement for XP
    >> is 64MB, but that isn't even close to what's required for decent
    >> performance. How much RAM you need depends on what apps you run,
    >> but I wouldn't recommend that anyone run XP without at least
    >> 256MB.
    >>
    >> Even if you were to upgrade to 256MB, your processor is at the
    >> very bottom of those that will run XP. You are not likely to be
    >> happy with its performance.
    >>
    >> I would run Windows 98.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP Product