Is there any way to control my cpu fan speed??

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hello...yet again ( I have way too many questions)

Any way. I'm just wondering if there is any way to control my CPU Fan with a fan controller? My current fan controller only has 3 pin sockets but my fan needs 4 pins. Is there any extension or plug that can be used to change either of them to fit?

I cant control the speed of my fan from the bios cause well i only have one option (Auto or quite) I dont care about quite..i'd rather it be slightly loud but running faster to keep the cpu cooler.

Thanks in advance

sailer

Splendid
There are a number of ways to control the fan speed. You can get a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter easy enough. Newegg has one for $1.99, for instance, but the shipping would cost $5. Better to look in a local store.

Software such as Speedfan might also control your cpu fan. Download it and try it. Can't hurt, and it will tell you temp readings as well.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Hello...yet again ( I have way too many questions)

Any way. I'm just wondering if there is any way to control my CPU Fan with a fan controller?

Yes there is no limit in how, opposed to other fans, pick the method you want.

My current fan controller only has 3 pin sockets but my fan needs 4 pins. Is there any extension or plug that can be used to change either of them to fit?
Your fan doesn't actually need 4 pins, even though it has them. Fan control will work with only the traditional 3, gnd/V+/RPM. Depending on fan and controller socket you just plug it in or use an X-acto knife or similar to trim down the socket to fit (if required, you have to pick your preferred method first then go from there).

I cant control the speed of my fan from the bios cause well i only have one option (Auto or quite) I dont care about quite..i'd rather it be slightly loud but running faster to keep the cpu cooler.

Thanks in advance

Isn't that what it's doing already? As another poster mentioned you might try speedfan or similar but personally I prefer hardware, place more trust in it than software. So there are separate PWM or rheostat fan control panels, homebrew linear regulator boards found via Google (which work fine but frankly are more effort than they're worth), or even the humble inline resistor on the V+ rail.

Figure out what and where you want this control, if it needs be variable later. Some think it does need to be user adjustable, mostly it's because they don't yet know or can't determine how fast the fan would spin or what the resultant temp will be. So it goes, a little experience or work before hand so you know this, or a more elaborate or costly or large control, or later adjustment too. We can't really know what level of competence you have tacking add-on circuits to your PCs or what length or expense you had in mind.

we also don't know what temp you CPU is running at or even whether your idea about "running faster to keep the CPU cooler" is a valid concept or if you are arbitrarily targeting a temp it doesn't necessarily need, nor how much your motherboard might be dependant on the CPU fan for it's cooling (like adjacent power regulation subcircuits or chipset if passively cooled).

We just don't have enough info or a subjective way to decide for you as there are many options, too many to go into comprehensive list mode.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Download a copy of speedfan and configure it to control your cpu fan. And all your other fans, while you're at it.

I have speed fan but no matter what the rpm it says its 100%.

eg: if my cpu is relatively cool, it runs at 2000 rpm and speedfan says 100%. so i though, ok it cant go any higher. Then just 2 hrs later after some gaming the fan was at 2500 -_-

I'll check out the adapter thingi..thanx for the input though :)

@ I: your right about not knowing what its running at...should have mentioned that before. Any who my cpu is a e6600 and its ideling at around 47-49 degrees C. After playing a game like rainbow six vegas it goes to about 58 ish, and at 100% load its around 65-67.

My mobo is a asrock 775 dual vsta.

as for my competence at tacking add-on circuits to my PCs.. uhhh...i have none would be the right answer. If I can avoid it I would also rather not spend. But I may just get some new thermal paste and try that, cause im not too convinced about the stock fans thermal paste currently on it. It just doesnt seem to be spread right.

uhhh...what else do you wanna know??

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Download a copy of speedfan and configure it to control your cpu fan. And all your other fans, while you're at it.

I have speed fan but no matter what the rpm it says its 100%.

Right. You have to configure it.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
eg: if my cpu is relatively cool, it runs at 2000 rpm and speedfan says 100%. so i though, ok it cant go any higher. Then just 2 hrs later after some gaming the fan was at 2500 -_-

@ I: your right about not knowing what its running at...should have mentioned that before. Any who my cpu is a e6600 and its ideling at around 47-49 degrees C. After playing a game like rainbow six vegas it goes to about 58 ish, and at 100% load its around 65-67.

So what is your goal exactly? You don't want to reduce fan speed at load with it already at 65-67, in this case it would seem you need a better heatsink (presuming the present one is properly installed, making good contact with CPU & not too much thermal compound) or maybe better case airflow.

2000-2500 isn't very high RPM considering your temps, anyone would like to just make a fan quieter but then have to have some thermal margin to whittle away first as the fan speed drops.

My mobo is a asrock 775 dual vsta.

as for my competence at tacking add-on circuits to my PCs.. uhhh...i have none would be the right answer. If I can avoid it I would also rather not spend. But I may just get some new thermal paste and try that, cause im not too convinced about the stock fans thermal paste currently on it. It just doesnt seem to be spread right.

uhhh...what else do you wanna know??

Unless you are McGyver and have some string, glue, and a fish hook, I think it will take a dollar or two at least. :wink: The cheapest option to simply reduce the fan speed would be to solder in a 1W resistor (about 20 cents), maybe 68-100 Ohm on the V+ power lead, cover that with heatshrink tubing (about 5 cents worth but you can't buy a 5 cent piece instead of a few feet at a time, like $1 worth), so that's $1.20 or so plus shipping at a few more $.

You don't have the thermal margins to do it though, reducing fan speed by any method will make it run a little (Or a lot, depending on amount of RPM reduction) hotter, so the motherboard adjusts the fan to a higher RPM to comensate, it could practically negate the mod you do because it will just fight against the mod to keep trying to ramp up the fan speed to get the CPU to the temp set (In the bios?), until the fan is at highest possible RPM (per the fan model) then the CPU just gets hotter, with it already being at hot as it should get.

FIgure out which area of your system cooling is the weakest and combat that first, I recommend getting your full load temp down at least to 55C or lower before thinking about reducing the fan speed. Note that if you get that temp down, the motherboard fan controller may reduce the fan speed automatically (some at least) so you may not even need further mods to get close enough to your goal.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
McGyver to the rescue! :lol:

naah i thought i'd spend some and get a better case + cpu cooler cause my current case is...well....just crap :D ( i just found it lying around at my aunts house, not being used..LOL!) its only got 1x 80mm extraction fan in the back.

will let you know if a better case gets the job done, and if that doesnt work as good, then i'll get a new cooler.

I'm pretty sure a better case will reduce the temp a good deal (fingers crossed)

thanx for the input