Restrict Software Install

How can I setup policies for all/few users/computers in
the domain to restrice installation of any or some
softwares ?? I have many users in the domain installing
all junk software which corrupts their computer in some or
the other ways.

Please also reply to me email:
jsoni@onsitetechnology.com

Thanks in Advance
1 answer Last reply
More about restrict software install

    The best solution by far is to upgrade to XP Pro computers and user Software
    Restriction Policies as described in the link below.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310791

    It is much more difficult for Windows 2000 computers. To start with do not let
    regular users be power users or local administrators unless absolutely necessary and
    if you do you really can not restrict what they do. Keep in mind it is very easy for
    any user who can boot from a floppy, cdrom, etc [anything but the system hard drive]
    to become an administrator on the computer by resetting the local administrators
    password with widely available free utilities. USB ports are another problem.

    For regular users you can populate the disallowed Windows applications list after you
    read the full explanation on what it does and also consider disabling the command
    prompt and registry editing. You may also want to add install.exe, setup.exe,
    msiexec.exe, and command.com to the disallowed list. You can also use Group Policy
    to configure Internet Explorer Web Content Zones to prevent downloads from
    unauthorized or any websites. A firewall that controls outbound access can also be
    helpful by curbing the use of unauthorized internet applications such as chat
    programs and file swappers.--- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323525 -- how to use Group
    Policy to restrict specific applications

    "Jignesh Soni" <jsoni@onsitetechnology.com> wrote in message
    > How can I setup policies for all/few users/computers in
    > the domain to restrice installation of any or some
    > softwares ?? I have many users in the domain installing
    > all junk software which corrupts their computer in some or
    > the other ways.
    >
    > Please also reply to me email:
    > jsoni@onsitetechnology.com
    >
    > Thanks in Advance