Wallpaper not applying to Win2K Pro PC's

Hi there,

I've created a test GPO that copies a .jpg file for a
wallpaper into the %windir%\web\wallpaper folder on both
Win2K and XP Pro PC's. The second part of the policy
forces the use of this particular wallpaper. Works well
on all XP's PC but the Win2K machines get a blank
wallpaper (blue), icons OK. I've tried every conceivable
change in the GPO - User Config\Admin Templates\Desktop
and Control panel settings to no avail. i can apply the
wallpaper manually at the computer after removing the PC
and user from the OU that the GPO is applied to. Then
when placing the user and computer back into this OU so
GPO applies, the wallpaper doesn't display. If you go
into desktop property sheet you see that the proper .jpg
file is being applied because it is highlighted. Anyone
run into this before?

Hi Rick

To use .jpg files as wallpaper in Windows 2000, you need Active Desktop
turned on. This might be the cause.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"Rick G" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I've created a test GPO that copies a .jpg file for a
> wallpaper into the %windir%\web\wallpaper folder on both
> Win2K and XP Pro PC's. The second part of the policy
> forces the use of this particular wallpaper. Works well
> on all XP's PC but the Win2K machines get a blank
> wallpaper (blue), icons OK. I've tried every conceivable
> change in the GPO - User Config\Admin Templates\Desktop
> and Control panel settings to no avail. i can apply the
> wallpaper manually at the computer after removing the PC
> and user from the OU that the GPO is applied to. Then
> when placing the user and computer back into this OU so
> GPO applies, the wallpaper doesn't display. If you go
> into desktop property sheet you see that the proper .jpg
> file is being applied because it is highlighted. Anyone
> run into this before?

Hi Rick

I received the GPMC report. Not sure why but the formatting has gone wrong.
From what I can see in the report, this should be applying. Give that it
works for XP clients but not 2K clients, I doubt it's a policy issue.

You could consider turning on User Environment Debug Logging for a client
machine, rebooting and then harvesting the log and looking for clues. Refer
to:

221833 How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=221833

Kind regards