HELP!!! doing overclocking now machine won't boot?

powerfirst

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I'd appreciate any help here...

After reading much about overclocking I was going through a very calculated and methodical procedure to overclock the CPU and RAM (using the Nvidia Ntune overclocking utility) on my new machine. On each step the machine tested stable and OK. On the last tweek the system did not boot properly so I went back to the BIOS and dropped the reference clock back down a notch and it booted fine. I restarted the machine one more time to test and now it will not boot at all. It seems to start the boot sequence then just stop. It seems to look at the CD/DVD drive and then do nothing else. Nothing on the monitor at all. I have checked for loose connections, checked off/on switches and have installed an older HD to see if it would boot from it (have also tried booting from recovery CD's, etc) all to no avail.

What could have happened here??? Did I possibly roast something or could it be just hardware failure on a new machine?

What do I need to do to recover my brand new machine????

Any help would be appreciated!

xeni

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'd appreciate any help here...

After reading much about overclocking I was going through a very calculated and methodical procedure to overclock the CPU and RAM (using the Nvidia Ntune overclocking utility) on my new machine. On each step the machine tested stable and OK. On the last tweek the system did not boot properly so I went back to the BIOS and dropped the reference clock back down a notch and it booted fine. I restarted the machine one more time to test and now it will not boot at all. It seems to start the boot sequence then just stop. It seems to look at the CD/DVD drive and then do nothing else. Nothing on the monitor at all. I have checked for loose connections, checked off/on switches and have installed an older HD to see if it would boot from it (have also tried booting from recovery CD's, etc) all to no avail.

What could have happened here??? Did I possibly roast something or could it be just hardware failure on a new machine?

What do I need to do to recover my brand new machine????

Any help would be appreciated!

1. Are you getting any BEEPS indicating bad memory and etc?
2. Reset CMOS.

xeni

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
xeni...

No beeps (nothing!).
Excuse my ignorance but how do I reset the CMOS?

I am not 100% sure on an Nvidia motherbaord. But check your manual and it will tell you. You usually have to connect a jumper on 2 pins and you usually have 3 pins there. Like pins 1,2,3. To clear the CMOS you usually connect the jumper on the 2&3 pin instead of the 1&2 pin.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I recommend you to not use overclocking software and just use the settings in your bios. The problem is most likely that Ntune did not lock your PCI bus. Resulting in you PCI bus clocking higher than what it liked to be clocked at. You should have a setting in the bios for you to set the PCI/AGP to locked, fixed, or something along those lines. After you do that, start raising your FSB or Hypertransport (whether you have an Intel or AMD) by 10%. Give your system a torture test using Prime95. If it errors on you, then raise your CPU voltage by no more than .05v and repeat that sequence until you reach your desired overclock. Their are other things that may hold you back as well, such as your RAM. Run memtest86 to see if it generates an error or locks up on you. If it is your RAM then you have a few options; you can raise the voltage on your RAM, relax the timing, or reduce the speed of the RAM by using the memory divider setting. Another thing that it could be if it is an AMD is to reduce the multiplier on the Hypertransport. Always watch your temps and don't push your voltage too high. What is too high you ask? A rule that I go by is not raise your voltage more that .2v over the stock voltage, unless you have some crazy cooling like water of phase-change. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

powerfirst

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Xeni, thanks a ton for the advice on resetting the CMOS, it worked perfectly!

asfor Adam, thx for the tip on not using software i have trashed it now that the machine is running again and will try again minus that and with the test that you suggested.

I will post a new thread tomorrow to let you know how it is running. I was starting to get very frustrated and about to trash my mobo but you guys saved me a lot of money here
Thanks again

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Next time you oc your system lower the memory MHz: example would be 200mhz memory would be set at 166mhz if we lower even more 133 we could get a better out come with ocing the cpu but performance would be suffering, however that is only if the cpu cannot reach an adequate MHz and this preventing the Memory MHz to reach its full frequency of 200. My system I used 133mhz and increased the CPU fsb until the memory MHz was close to the 200 MHz. Memory timing are a different topic and is even more important if you want the best of the best of the best