New DVD-RW drive acts like CD-RW

My old CD-RW drive used to be D:. After install of new Plextor PX-716 DVD,
DVD shows as D: and CD-RW shows as E: in My Computer. Retrospect won't
recognize DVD drive unless I put a CD in it. DVD jumper is set as master at
end of secondary IDE port cable. CD drive is jumpered as slave on middle IDE
connector. Using new 80 wire cable that came with drive. Running XP SP1 on
Intel 845PESV board.

BTW without media in DVD, My Computer window shows DVD-RW Drive (D:) If I
put in a blank DVD+R, it changes to CD Drive (D:)

Also, is it bad speedwise to have a CD and DVD drive on the secondary port?

Would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Visit the Retrospect site for the latest upgrade.

Retrospect has to configure a dvd-rw drive to write to dvd's. This should
also be on the Dantz website.

"likes_dals" <likes_dals@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My old CD-RW drive used to be D:. After install of new Plextor PX-716
> DVD,
> DVD shows as D: and CD-RW shows as E: in My Computer. Retrospect won't
> recognize DVD drive unless I put a CD in it. DVD jumper is set as master
> at
> end of secondary IDE port cable. CD drive is jumpered as slave on middle
> IDE
> connector. Using new 80 wire cable that came with drive. Running XP SP1
> on
> Intel 845PESV board.
>
> BTW without media in DVD, My Computer window shows DVD-RW Drive (D:) If I
> put in a blank DVD+R, it changes to CD Drive (D:)
>
> Also, is it bad speedwise to have a CD and DVD drive on the secondary
> port?
>
> Would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Are you referring to the "Auto Configurator" in Retrospect? If yes, after
running A.C. with both DVD medias I use, R still won't recognize the drives.
Shouldn't R recognize the CD drive also? Retrospect is a great program - I
used it with great success in the old days with a Mac. I'm anxious to make
it work with this DVD. I'd appreciate any further advice. Thanks!!

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Visit the Retrospect site for the latest upgrade.
>
> Retrospect has to configure a dvd-rw drive to write to dvd's. This should
> also be on the Dantz website.

> "likes_dals" <likes_dals@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My old CD-RW drive used to be D:. After install of new Plextor PX-716
> > DVD,
> > DVD shows as D: and CD-RW shows as E: in My Computer. Retrospect won't
> > recognize DVD drive unless I put a CD in it. DVD jumper is set as master
> > at
> > end of secondary IDE port cable. CD drive is jumpered as slave on middle
> > IDE
> > connector. Using new 80 wire cable that came with drive. Running XP SP1
> > on
> > Intel 845PESV board.
> >
> > BTW without media in DVD, My Computer window shows DVD-RW Drive (D:) If I
> > put in a blank DVD+R, it changes to CD Drive (D:)
> >
> > Also, is it bad speedwise to have a CD and DVD drive on the secondary
> > port?
> >
> > Would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Hi,

Click start/run, type diskmgmt.msc and click ok. Right click the current D:
drive and use the option to reletter it to something not currently in use.
Then you can reletter the old drive as D: using the same steps.

> Also, is it bad speedwise to have a CD and DVD drive on the secondary
> port?

Do it all the time, never been an issue for me.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"likes_dals" <likes_dals@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My old CD-RW drive used to be D:. After install of new Plextor PX-716
> DVD,
> DVD shows as D: and CD-RW shows as E: in My Computer. Retrospect won't
> recognize DVD drive unless I put a CD in it. DVD jumper is set as master
> at
> end of secondary IDE port cable. CD drive is jumpered as slave on middle
> IDE
> connector. Using new 80 wire cable that came with drive. Running XP SP1
> on
> Intel 845PESV board.
>
> BTW without media in DVD, My Computer window shows DVD-RW Drive (D:) If I
> put in a blank DVD+R, it changes to CD Drive (D:)
>
> Also, is it bad speedwise to have a CD and DVD drive on the secondary
> port?
>
> Would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Rick:
Ability of DVD drive to write and read data files on a DVD was confirmed
with another program. Inability of Retrospect to recognize drives in my
system still exists. Thanks for your advice!!
Marty

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Click start/run, type diskmgmt.msc and click ok. Right click the current D:
> drive and use the option to reletter it to something not currently in use.
> Then you can reletter the old drive as D: using the same steps.
>
> > Also, is it bad speedwise to have a CD and DVD drive on the secondary
> > port?
>
> Do it all the time, never been an issue for me.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "likes_dals" <likes_dals@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My old CD-RW drive used to be D:. After install of new Plextor PX-716
> > DVD,
> > DVD shows as D: and CD-RW shows as E: in My Computer. Retrospect won't
> > recognize DVD drive unless I put a CD in it. DVD jumper is set as master
> > at
> > end of secondary IDE port cable. CD drive is jumpered as slave on middle
> > IDE
> > connector. Using new 80 wire cable that came with drive. Running XP SP1
> > on
> > Intel 845PESV board.
> >
> > BTW without media in DVD, My Computer window shows DVD-RW Drive (D:) If I
> > put in a blank DVD+R, it changes to CD Drive (D:)
> >
> > Also, is it bad speedwise to have a CD and DVD drive on the secondary
> > port?
> >
> > Would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

I am running four 8x dvd all-in-one drives. Retrospect configures or just
uses all four. When it configures a dvd drive, it configures twice, once
for dvd and once for cd. Check the Dantz website for advice. The tech
people do monitor their forums.

> Are you referring to the "Auto Configurator" in Retrospect? If yes, after
> running A.C. with both DVD medias I use, R still won't recognize the
> drives.
> Shouldn't R recognize the CD drive also? Retrospect is a great program -
> used it with great success in the old days with a Mac. I'm anxious to
> make
> it work with this DVD. I'd appreciate any further advice. Thanks!!
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Visit the Retrospect site for the latest upgrade.
>>
>> Retrospect has to configure a dvd-rw drive to write to dvd's. This
>> should
>> also be on the Dantz website.
>>
>> --
>> "likes_dals" <likes_dals@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My old CD-RW drive used to be D:. After install of new Plextor PX-716
>> > DVD,
>> > DVD shows as D: and CD-RW shows as E: in My Computer. Retrospect won't
>> > recognize DVD drive unless I put a CD in it. DVD jumper is set as
>> > master
>> > at
>> > end of secondary IDE port cable. CD drive is jumpered as slave on
>> > middle
>> > IDE
>> > connector. Using new 80 wire cable that came with drive. Running XP
>> > SP1
>> > on
>> > Intel 845PESV board.
>> >
>> > BTW without media in DVD, My Computer window shows DVD-RW Drive (D:)
>> > If I
>> > put in a blank DVD+R, it changes to CD Drive (D:)
>> >
>> > Also, is it bad speedwise to have a CD and DVD drive on the secondary
>> > port?
>> >
>> > Would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

OK Colin. Thanks for the reply. Its good to know Retrospect is working well
for you. Best regards! Marty