Registry Keys & Values with Group Policy

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 18, 2004 2:52:00 PM

Hi All,

I need some help; I read somewhere that one can
deploy/modify registry keys on remote clients using Group
Policy. Is this available with a W2K domain? If so, how is
it done?

Thanks,

joh
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:48:23 PM

Joh,

What is it that you want to deploy? Most of the Registry settings can be
configured in ADM templates, which are very easy to create and deploy.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"joh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I need some help; I read somewhere that one can
> deploy/modify registry keys on remote clients using Group
> Policy. Is this available with a W2K domain? If so, how is
> it done?
>
> Thanks,
>
> joh
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 4:30:56 PM

Thanks for you reply. We are using VNC and we want to use
some advanced features, such as users being prompted to
accept incoming connections. These configurations require
registry changes, such as adding a key, and modifing a
couple of values. If you could give me an example of how
to do this, that would be great.

Thanks.
joh

June 18, 2004 4:40:06 PM

this ADM template code modifies the Registry to perform an auto logon:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
CLASS MACHINE ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

CATEGORY BCN_Custom_ADMs
POLICY Auto_Logon
KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
part "What is the name of the user?" EDITTEXT
VALUENAME "autoadminlogon"
end part
part "What is the user's password?" EDITTEXT
valuename "defaultpassword"
END PART
END POLICY
END CATEGORY

--
> Thanks for you reply. We are using VNC and we want to use
> some advanced features, such as users being prompted to
> accept incoming connections. These configurations require
> registry changes, such as adding a key, and modifing a
> couple of values. If you could give me an example of how
> to do this, that would be great.
>
> Thanks.
> joh

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 6:14:05 PM

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:52:00 -0700, "joh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I need some help; I read somewhere that one can
>deploy/modify registry keys on remote clients using Group
>Policy. Is this available with a W2K domain? If so, how is
>it done?
>
>Thanks,
>
>joh

See tip 5946 and 5357 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 6:28:30 PM

I find it easy to export the reg key(s) you want and the make a batch file
to run on logon. and use the format.

c:\winnt\regedit.exe /s YourChanges.reg
exit

real simple.

"joh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I need some help; I read somewhere that one can
> deploy/modify registry keys on remote clients using Group
> Policy. Is this available with a W2K domain? If so, how is
> it done?
>
> Thanks,
>
> joh
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 3:57:21 AM

joh,

Policy Maker include a *free* registry extension to Group Policy. Within
the GPOE, you can browse to any setting(s) and make it a policy. It's fully
compliant with the GP specification. You also get 25 categories of
filtering on each setting, user and computer policy, RSoP reporting,
tracing, policy event logging, etc. You can control whether settings are
enforced, automatically removed, tatooed, or are just one-time preferences,
and you can set all types of values. You can't do these things with ADM
template customization, which is not well suited for setting non-policy
values, and of course performing configuration in scripts prevents your
settings from being and acting as policy settings.

Regards,

Eric Voskuil
Policy Maker
http://www.autoprof.com/policy

"joh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I need some help; I read somewhere that one can
> deploy/modify registry keys on remote clients using Group
> Policy. Is this available with a W2K domain? If so, how is
> it done?
>
> Thanks,
>
> joh
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 2:57:04 PM

Derek, Thanks for posting this.
I applied it under Computer Configuration, Administratrative Templates and
it shows up. but it does not seem to have an affect on my client that is
using this Group Policy. I've ran gpupdate /force and rebooted. both have not
helped.
I'm eager to get this working! :)

!