Sign in with
Your question

case big enough for 2 8800gtx cards and creative xfi card?

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2007 5:57:56 PM

i am only buying 1 8800gtx card now, but i want to have option for sli later down the road. i am also using a creative xfi soundcard too. here are the case specs:

Model
Brand LIAN LI
Model PC-7B plus II
Spec
Type ATX Mid Tower
Color Black
Case Material Aluminum
With Power Supply No
Power Supply No
Motherboard Compatibility 12" x 9.6" ATX
With Side Panel Window No
Expansion
External 5.25" Drive Bays 4
External 3.5" Drive Bays 2
Internal 3.5" Drive Bays 3
Expansion Slots 7
Front Ports
Front Ports USB2.0 x 2 ; IEEE 1394 x 1; MIC x 1; EAR x 1
Cooling System
80mm Fans No
120mm Fans 12 cm ball bearing x 2
Physical Spec
Dimensions 19.3" x 17.8" x 8.3"

i notice it is called a midtower case. are there fulltower case sizes too?
just wanna make sure this will fit 2 8800gtx's and the soundcard before i buy it. thanks.
January 16, 2007 6:18:32 PM

It would fit, but that is a pretty tight case.. after all it is a mid-tower. Id suggest you drop 60 bucks more and get a thermaltake armor, that will do you on cooling.
January 17, 2007 12:31:25 AM

thanks- i'm taking your advice and going with the thermaltake
Related resources
January 18, 2007 3:05:48 AM

The armor is a great case (I have one) but don't just take the advice of the first person to respond. There are tons of full tower cases out there that you should look at including ones from Lian Li, Antec, Thermaltake, Silverstone and Cooler Master.

How much are you willing to spend and what features are you looking for? I suggest going to newegg and narrowing down your choices by choosing full tower > window or no window? > included psu? > aluminum or steel? > ... etc until you get a short list with the features you want and pick one in your price range that you like the looks of.
January 18, 2007 4:50:57 AM

I do agree, but when it comes to cooling the Armor is the only case specified for the 4x4 AMD setup, so something has to be right with it. Then again, it is personal preference.. I have a thing about thermaltake.
January 18, 2007 5:29:08 AM

I second the Armor, it's huge spacious and good ventilation.
January 18, 2007 3:57:03 PM

Ya, I personally like the Armor too but cases are so personal. He should research and make up his own mind.... tons of cases out there and I almost went with the Stacker so what convinced me to go with the Armor may convince him to go with the stacker....
January 18, 2007 4:23:03 PM

I suggest getting an SLI mATX board to save room. Then you can stick it inside a quaint X Q-Pac case and save desk space.
January 18, 2007 9:37:00 PM

Quote:
Id recommend the Coolermaster Stacker 830. It is huge inside. BTW its f##king heavy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

They should call that thing the Vault... its like the side panel was glued on. And you need a hand book to operate it... :wink:

It really depends on how many HDDs the guy is using... since many mid towers with 5 or more drive slots can accomodate the GTXs as long as the cables are free to take up some available HDD space.
January 18, 2007 9:41:54 PM

I would personally recommend the thermaltake Kandalf or the Armor. Basically the same case just different look in the front. I own the Kandalf myself and love it. More than enough room for my 8800gtx. Only thing I would recommend is that you check where your mobo has the IDE plug. In my case the cable that the mobo came with for IDE was too short to reach the top of the case(where I put my DVD drives) so i had to buy a longer one. Not a big issue, it allowed me to get a rounded cable, so I'm happy. Just something to be aware of since the case is big. Also VERY HEAVY. I think around 42lbs. I love it though.
January 19, 2007 12:35:59 AM

thanks guys. i went with the LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
January 19, 2007 12:51:25 AM

Personally, I have the Lian Li V2000 Plus II and I love it. It has a classic look without being dull and there is enough room inside to land an airplane. But as others have said, cases are personal. Unless you are just going purely for utility, you are best served to just find something you really like.

EDIT: Doh! I missed your decision. Nice choice though with a Lian Li.
January 19, 2007 1:02:27 AM

little does he know that case is 2cm shorter inside then the GTX8800 cards.
A GTS will fit though.
January 19, 2007 1:47:02 AM

Quote:
A GTS will fit though.

I don't have one so I can't know for certain, but the reports I have read showed that it was snug, but it did fit. I think the card measurements include the connectors.
January 19, 2007 2:01:48 AM

Quote:
A GTS will fit though.

are you being helpful or just obnoxious?
January 19, 2007 2:09:35 AM

I do think one will fit, but I don't remember about 2 and I generally prefer to have more space for airflow. I don't have any experience with this combo though so take my comments with a grain of salt.
January 19, 2007 2:16:21 AM

1 8800gtx is all i am getting, and sli may be less preferable down the road than just replacing the gtx with whatever next generation card is out 3 years from now. the gtx should last me that long, since i've gotten btwn 3-4 years use out of videocards in the past.

i think he might have been being obnoxious, as evidenced by this user review of the case, unless of course he thought i wanted to put 2 gtx cards and the creative soundcard in :

Pros: Being a long-term user of Lian-li's cases, this case once again impresses me. It has two 12CM fans which are more silent and blow more air than all 8CM fans. It also has many small holes on the side of left panel, and these holes make my 8800GTX@650/2108Mhz pretty cool.
!