Windows 2003 server password policy.

nina

Hi, everyone.

When I create a new user with 4 letters such as "abcd" on my windows 2003
server, and it came with error

"The password does not meet policy requirement, Check the min password
length, password Complexity and password history requirment."

And thus, I went to AD users and computer and right click the domain
properites, then click on group policy and click edit. Locating the password
policy tab, then click not define for all. ( I also tried disable all.)
I then use groupupdate.exe on command prompt after I make all the changing.

Go to domain controller and domain secuirty policy under administrative task
folder to apply the same thing, I still get the same error.

(If I create like 12 letter with number and sign such as #, !, then it
works. How do I know what is the Password complexity requirment on my 2k3
server now?????)

However, that error still come back up. Why the policy not kicking in to my
server?
does anyone give me some advice? Thank you very much.

Sara

You need to leave complexity "disabled" in the Domain Security Policy. Set the
minimum password length to what you want to enforce. If you have more than one policy
in the domain , then try to disable it at the top GPO listed for the domain. Also
make sure that block inheritance is not enabled on the domain controller container.
The do a gpupdate /target:computer /enforce on the domain controller, wait a minute
or so and try again. --- Steve

"Nina" <abc@abc.com> wrote in message news:ujpVhwvVEHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi, everyone.
>
> When I create a new user with 4 letters such as "abcd" on my windows 2003
> server, and it came with error
>
> "The password does not meet policy requirement, Check the min password
> length, password Complexity and password history requirment."
>
> And thus, I went to AD users and computer and right click the domain
> properites, then click on group policy and click edit. Locating the password
> policy tab, then click not define for all. ( I also tried disable all.)
> I then use groupupdate.exe on command prompt after I make all the changing.
>
> Go to domain controller and domain secuirty policy under administrative task
> folder to apply the same thing, I still get the same error.
>
> (If I create like 12 letter with number and sign such as #, !, then it
> works. How do I know what is the Password complexity requirment on my 2k3
> server now?????)
>
> However, that error still come back up. Why the policy not kicking in to my
> server?
> does anyone give me some advice? Thank you very much.
>
> Sara

nina

Thank you for ur help, Steve.
By the way, can you tell me how can make sure block inheritance is not
enabled? How can i find out how many policy in the domain. Thank you for
your help.

> You need to leave complexity "disabled" in the Domain Security Policy.
Set the
> minimum password length to what you want to enforce. If you have more than
one policy
> in the domain , then try to disable it at the top GPO listed for the
domain. Also
> make sure that block inheritance is not enabled on the domain controller
container.
> The do a gpupdate /target:computer /enforce on the domain controller, wait
a minute
> or so and try again. --- Steve
>

> "Nina" <abc@abc.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, everyone.
> >
> > When I create a new user with 4 letters such as "abcd" on my windows
2003
> > server, and it came with error
> >
> > "The password does not meet policy requirement, Check the min password
> > length, password Complexity and password history requirment."
> >
> > And thus, I went to AD users and computer and right click the domain
> > properites, then click on group policy and click edit. Locating the
password
> > policy tab, then click not define for all. ( I also tried disable all.)
> > I then use groupupdate.exe on command prompt after I make all the
changing.

> > Go to domain controller and domain secuirty policy under administrative
task
> > folder to apply the same thing, I still get the same error.
> >
> > (If I create like 12 letter with number and sign such as #, !, then it
> > works. How do I know what is the Password complexity requirment on my
2k3
> > server now?????)
> >
> > However, that error still come back up. Why the policy not kicking in to
my
> > server?
> > does anyone give me some advice? Thank you very much.
> >
> > Sara

Open up AD Users and Computers. Find your domain and right click, select
properties/Group Policy and you will see GPO's for the domain. The select the domain
controllers container, right click select properties/Group Policy and make sure block
inheritance is not checked in the lower right hand corner. Gpresult is also a handy
tool to run on any domain computer as it will list what Group Policies have been
applied to a computer and the logged on users and the last time they were applied.
That tool and a lot of very helpful utilities such as netdiag and dcdiag are located
on the install disk under support/tools folder where you need to run setup to install
them. --- Steve