Swords and damage reduction

While testing some creatures in a module, I recognized the following:

The PC is wielding a long sword. He attacks an enemy who is equipped with an
item which gives specific damage reducing, like the Greater Archer's Belt
(vs. piercing). Now I would expect that he still could make some damage if
he hits, because a long sword should make piercing *and/or* slashing damage.
Obviously this isn't the case - every hit is damage reduced with the full
amount of 20.

Is the calculation above specified by the rules or is it simply a bug?

Hans

Hans Wein wrote:
> The PC is wielding a long sword. He attacks an enemy who is equipped with an
> item which gives specific damage reducing, like the Greater Archer's Belt
> (vs. piercing). Now I would expect that he still could make some damage if
> he hits, because a long sword should make piercing *and/or* slashing damage.
> Obviously this isn't the case - every hit is damage reduced with the full
> amount of 20.

Sounds like a bug. All swords (with the exception of the rapier) do
slashing damage, so DR vs piercing shouldn't have any effect on them.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> Sounds like a bug. All swords (with the exception of the rapier) do
> slashing damage, so DR vs piercing shouldn't have any effect on them.

Nay - longsword does piercing and slashing - weapon type 4 in the 2da I
believe.

Barry Scott Will wrote:

> Sounds like a bug. All swords (with the exception of the rapier) do
> slashing damage, so DR vs piercing shouldn't have any effect on them.

Well, shord swords do pure piercing damage too. I did some further
investigation, and the bug only occurs with weapons which have got the
ability to do the piercing/slashing combo damage, shord swords/rapiers and
battle axes OTOH work flawlessly. It becomes even more strange because the
combat animations are correct - some of the hits will show the piercing
movement, while the other ones come with the typical slashing swing.

Hans

"Hans Wein" <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Barry Scott Will wrote:
>
> > Sounds like a bug. All swords (with the exception of the rapier) do
> > slashing damage, so DR vs piercing shouldn't have any effect on them.
>
> Well, shord swords do pure piercing damage too. I did some further
> investigation, and the bug only occurs with weapons which have got the
> ability to do the piercing/slashing combo damage, shord swords/rapiers and
> battle axes OTOH work flawlessly. It becomes even more strange because the
> combat animations are correct - some of the hits will show the piercing
> movement, while the other ones come with the typical slashing swing.
>
> Hans

Tsk tsk tsk, Fighters...pfft *rolls eyes*

"Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message
> "Hans Wein" <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote in message
> > Barry Scott Will wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds like a bug. All swords (with the exception of the rapier) do
> > > slashing damage, so DR vs piercing shouldn't have any effect on them.
> >
> > Well, shord swords do pure piercing damage too. I did some further
> > investigation, and the bug only occurs with weapons which have got the
> > ability to do the piercing/slashing combo damage, shord swords/rapiers
and
> > battle axes OTOH work flawlessly. It becomes even more strange because
the
> > combat animations are correct - some of the hits will show the piercing
> > movement, while the other ones come with the typical slashing swing.
> >
> > Hans
>
> Tsk tsk tsk, Fighters...pfft *rolls eyes*

Find you go into a dungeon without them..... You take point and use
yourself as the meat shield..

TRENDING THREADS