Manipulate Routing Table on Windows Mobile 2003

April 12, 2005 6:54:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

I have a new Siemens SX66 from Cingular. i'm getting on the internet using
GPRS and the VPN to my corporate network. However the network addressing we
are using is very similiar. to the point where traffic bound for my servers
which should be going through the VPN are bouncing around Cingular's GPRS
network.

I still have a few calls in with them but it doesn't look good so far. Does
anyone know of a way or a tool that would allow me to add static routes to
my Pocket PC which might help solve my problem?

Thanks,

Kenny
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:39:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Kenny,

I did a quick search and I did not find anything that would allow such an
entry. However, it could be possible that such an entry could be made at
the registry level - but not 100% sure.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Kenneth Morrissey" <kmorrissey@cooperwiringdevices.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Siemens SX66 from Cingular. i'm getting on the internet using
>GPRS and the VPN to my corporate network. However the network addressing we
>are using is very similiar. to the point where traffic bound for my servers
>which should be going through the VPN are bouncing around Cingular's GPRS
>network.
>
> I still have a few calls in with them but it doesn't look good so far.
> Does anyone know of a way or a tool that would allow me to add static
> routes to my Pocket PC which might help solve my problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kenny

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:00:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Unless you have (distinct) multiple router choices
there is little point in adding a route to such
devices since by sending to their default gateway
they should be able to send to any reachable
network.

Are you saying:

1) The PPC can reach multiple routers directly?

AND

2) The one of those routers can reach some locations
distinct from the other(s)?

Even if one of those routers much route to another, it is
unlikely that the direct route would be enough of a
difference with the amount of traffic sent to/from a
PDA versus the bandwidth of most of today's networks.

BUT it is still an interesting question <grin>
April 13, 2005 12:05:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Well after a LOT of searching lol I found a few downloads that add a
command prompt and several network related commands such as ping, and of
course route.

So just went to a command line and.....

ROUTE ADD 10.140.0.0 MASK 255.255.0.0 10.140.2.86 METRIC 2 IF 3
10.140.2.86 is my RAS server
IF 3 is my vpn connection, or at least it has been so far :)

And it actually worked I was able to communicate with my entire network.
unfortunately the route disappears as soon as I disconnect so it's not too
much help to me. And the -p (permanent) switch doesn't work on this one. But
I thought I'd post it hear anyway, might be some help to someone.

Now if I could put this into the equivelent of a batch file that might work
but I don't think it's quite that simple on this OS right?

"Kenneth Morrissey" <kmorrissey@cooperwiringdevices.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Siemens SX66 from Cingular. i'm getting on the internet using
>GPRS and the VPN to my corporate network. However the network addressing we
>are using is very similiar. to the point where traffic bound for my servers
>which should be going through the VPN are bouncing around Cingular's GPRS
>network.
>
> I still have a few calls in with them but it doesn't look good so far.
> Does anyone know of a way or a tool that would allow me to add static
> routes to my Pocket PC which might help solve my problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kenny

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:58:27 PM

news:o 3xuWECQFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Well after a LOT of searching lol I found a few downloads that add a
> command prompt and several network related commands such as ping, and of
> course route.

Where did you get them?

Thx

> So just went to a command line and.....
>
> ROUTE ADD 10.140.0.0 MASK 255.255.0.0 10.140.2.86 METRIC 2 IF 3
> 10.140.2.86 is my RAS server
> IF 3 is my vpn connection, or at least it has been so far :)
>

> And it actually worked I was able to communicate with my entire network.
> unfortunately the route disappears as soon as I disconnect so it's not too
> much help to me. And the -p (permanent) switch doesn't work on this one.
> But I thought I'd post it hear anyway, might be some help to someone.
>
> Now if I could put this into the equivelent of a batch file that might
> work but I don't think it's quite that simple on this OS right?
>

> "Kenneth Morrissey" <kmorrissey@cooperwiringdevices.com> wrote in message
>>I have a new Siemens SX66 from Cingular. i'm getting on the internet using
>>GPRS and the VPN to my corporate network. However the network addressing
>>we are using is very similiar. to the point where traffic bound for my
>>servers which should be going through the VPN are bouncing around
>>Cingular's GPRS network.
>>
>> I still have a few calls in with them but it doesn't look good so far.
>> Does anyone know of a way or a tool that would allow me to add static
>> routes to my Pocket PC which might help solve my problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kenny

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:09:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

"Kenneth Morrissey" <kmorrissey@cooperwiringdevices.com> wrote in message
news:o 3xuWECQFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Well after a LOT of searching lol I found a few downloads that add a
> command prompt and several network related commands such as ping, and of
> course route.
>
> So just went to a command line and.....
>
> ROUTE ADD 10.140.0.0 MASK 255.255.0.0 10.140.2.86 METRIC 2 IF 3
> 10.140.2.86 is my RAS server
> IF 3 is my vpn connection, or at least it has been so far :)
>

> And it actually worked I was able to communicate with my entire network.
> unfortunately the route disappears as soon as I disconnect so it's not too
> much help to me. And the -p (permanent) switch doesn't work on this one.
But
> I thought I'd post it hear anyway, might be some help to someone.

That was good of your -- I really appreciate when
people who find their own solution (or part of it)
post back.

> Now if I could put this into the equivelent of a batch file that might
work
> but I don't think it's quite that simple on this OS right?

At least one of the common cmd prompts allows for Perl
programs and batch files but I don't know if their is the
equivalent of autoexec.bat or Startup commands.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:06:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

You can make batch (.bat) files for PocketCMD.exe from
http://www.symbolictools.de/public/pocketconsole/applic...

Regards

Mike

!