How to reset CMOS on Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe?

powerfirst

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Anyone know how to reset the CMOS on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard? Doesn't seem to be anything in the manual about how to do this.

Thanks!

zoom

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
Look in your manual at the motherboard layout in Sec. 2.2.3 on page 2-3. Next to the battery is a jumper labeled CLRTC. This is the clear CMOS jumper which they refer to as clear real time clock. Now go to Sec. 2.6 titled "Jumpers" on page 2-19. These are the instructions for how to clear CMOS. Before you start the clear CMOS process, unplug the computer from the wall and turn off the on-off switch to the power supply on the back of the computer. I see no reason to remove the battery, as moving the jumper from positions 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 serves the same purpose in less time. Wait 10 seconds and put the jumpers back in the default position. Turn your power to the power supply back on, plug the computer back into the wall and hold down the DEL key as the computer is booting up. That will take you into COMS where all of the settings will come up as the default settings. You can take it from there. If you're going to clear CMOS, you might as well upgrade your BIOS (if an upgrade is available) first, since you have to clear CMOS after you perform the BIOS upgrade.

G

Zoom,
I know this thread's a little out of date but you're a lifesaver!
I've had trouble installing Vista SP2 and the suggestion was to update the BIOS. I did this using ASUS' WIndows tool but it failed the verification several times and I was at a loss what to do - so I reset my PC. Lo & behold the thing just sat there & sort of whirred insanely with no response.
Undeterred (although having had visions of a PC Engineer sucking air through his teeth & saying "You did WHAT??? Well, I can fix it but it'll cost you") I grabbed my Wife's newly purchased laptop & Googled like a maniac and up came your post. PC case on lap, laptop with a daigram of the motherboard (from a Russian website) and insulated tools in-hand, your post was followed to the letter. Subsequently, I managed to resurrect my lifeless box and further went on to upgrade the BIOS to the latest revision!

All this done and with time left to welcome the New Year and New Decade!

Thanks once again,

Andy

bruno82

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Thank you from me too, zoom!!!! :) My PC was dead until I found your post!

ASUS Update is a real danger!
DON'T USE IT!

Instead, boot your PC into BIOS setup and use "ASUS EZ Flash 2" Tool!​

G

zoom you are an absolute hero mate!

I had exactly the same problem as bruno82, thought I'd have to buy another (non-asus) motherboard but followed your instructions and yippee! all back as before with latest firmware applied (using EZ setup util in bios, hung before reset!)

so relieved!