8800 GTX Thermal Pads: Where to get replacements?

Voodoo3Dfx

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Well, after listening to some faulty advice on the internet I tried replacing the thermal pads on my 8800 GTX with AS5. Quite disastrously, the stock cooler does not even come close to touching the RAM and other bits... and generic thermal pads from computer stores are much too thin to bridge this gap.

Where can I go to get similar thermal pads to the ones Nvidia uses? I called eVGA for help, but the guy on the phone was of absolutely no help. Didn't know where to go (other than a "local computer store or something") and wasn't able to provide me with the stock stuff.

I really don't want to RMA the card just to get stupid thermal pads. In fact this may even just force me to go into water cooling, but I've already spent too much money building my current computer.

I really, really, really regret screwing around with my beloved card... please help me!

PS: No games or stress testing should be ok for my card right? Only the core IHS is making contact with the stock cooler right now

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Ugh!!! Why don't people leave things alone when they work just fine!?

Sorry, but anyways...

What happened to the original thermal pads? Last I heard, GDDR3 runs cooler than previous RAM and therefore, doesn't really need much cooling, but I don't think that'll help you. Besides, I just read another person's topic where he actually screwed the whole card up because he was trying to make a modification to the card.

If you can, put the original mem pads back on the card back. And boot in safe mode to make sure things still work "ok".

Btw, since you took it apart, I don't think the graphics card company will let you RMA it. Then again, I'm not sure how they would really know, unless there was like some invisible seal or something on the card.

Voodoo3Dfx

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Ugh!!! Why don't people leave things alone when they work just fine!?

Haha, keep things stock? No way, my cars, guns, and computers never ever remain stock, and this is usually a good thing. I learned too late however, that messing around with the 8800 GTX generally is not a good thing.

I don't have the stock thermal pads that's why I am asking for where to get replacements.