Wallpaper - Non Active Desktop settings

Hi,

Currently we have 250 desktops and 2 DC. 60 PC are WinXP and rest win2000
sp3. 1 DC with Win2000 sp2 and other with sp3. I have currently setup group
policy to apply restrcitions for applications and desktop control.
Active Desktop has been disabled on all pcs.

Problem :
I want to implement a domain wide policy to standardize on wallpaper. since
active desktop is disabled jpg and gif files cannot be applied until it is
enabled. I would like to use bmp file as wallpaper as general wallpaper. The
wallpaper registry which can be utilize in this case is

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Wallpaper"="C:\\WINNT\\win2000.bmp"
"WallpaperStyle"="2

how do i implement this from group policy cause i do not see any options or
help to set this registry key?

Any help would be appreciated.

With Regards,
Nikhil Bendre

You can either use a VBS script to manipulate the registry, or do what I
would do in this situation.

Export the settings to a .reg file that can be imported on a client.

Under User Configuration | Windows Settings | Scripts (Logon/Logoff) |
Logon, click the "show files" button and copy the .reg file in, for example
as "myfile.reg".

Then, add a script with "regedit" as the command and "/s %~dp0myfile.reg" as
the parameter.

I would use this solution for a network such as yours where replication of
the file between DCs will not be a problem.

Hope this helps

Oli

"Nikhil Bendre" <nik@nik.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Currently we have 250 desktops and 2 DC. 60 PC are WinXP and rest win2000
> sp3. 1 DC with Win2000 sp2 and other with sp3. I have currently setup
> group
> policy to apply restrcitions for applications and desktop control.
> Active Desktop has been disabled on all pcs.
>
> Problem :
> I want to implement a domain wide policy to standardize on wallpaper.
> since
> active desktop is disabled jpg and gif files cannot be applied until it is
> enabled. I would like to use bmp file as wallpaper as general wallpaper.
> The
> wallpaper registry which can be utilize in this case is
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
> "Wallpaper"="C:\\WINNT\\win2000.bmp"
> "WallpaperStyle"="2
>
> how do i implement this from group policy cause i do not see any options
> or
> help to set this registry key?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> With Regards,
> Nikhil Bendre

Hi,

Thanks for the response

regedit.exe is also listed as restricted application in group policy ..
"dont run specific application"
so will using logon script to merge the reg by /s command will be allowed or
popup "restriction on the computer do not allows you to run the
application..." msg

With Regards,
Nikhil Bendre

"Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You can either use a VBS script to manipulate the registry, or do what I
> would do in this situation.
>
> Export the settings to a .reg file that can be imported on a client.
>
> Under User Configuration | Windows Settings | Scripts (Logon/Logoff) |
> Logon, click the "show files" button and copy the .reg file in, for
example
> as "myfile.reg".
>
> Then, add a script with "regedit" as the command and "/s %~dp0myfile.reg"
as
> the parameter.
>
> I would use this solution for a network such as yours where replication of
> the file between DCs will not be a problem.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Oli
>

> "Nikhil Bendre" <nik@nik.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently we have 250 desktops and 2 DC. 60 PC are WinXP and rest
win2000
> > sp3. 1 DC with Win2000 sp2 and other with sp3. I have currently setup
> > group
> > policy to apply restrcitions for applications and desktop control.
> > Active Desktop has been disabled on all pcs.
> >
> > Problem :
> > I want to implement a domain wide policy to standardize on wallpaper.
> > since
> > active desktop is disabled jpg and gif files cannot be applied until it
is
> > enabled. I would like to use bmp file as wallpaper as general wallpaper.
> > The
> > wallpaper registry which can be utilize in this case is
> >
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
> > "Wallpaper"="C:\\WINNT\\win2000.bmp"
> > "WallpaperStyle"="2
> >
> > how do i implement this from group policy cause i do not see any options
> > or
> > help to set this registry key?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > With Regards,
> > Nikhil Bendre

I haven't tested this, but I strongly suspect it will be blocked by the
policy, as the command would run under the context of the user.

You could also try this vbscript, borrowed from Torgeir Bakken (Norwegian
God of scripting). If should work for Windows 2000 and XP, according to
Torgeir.

Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

sWinDir = oFSO.GetSpecialFolder(0)
sWallPaper = sWinDir & "\Coffee Bean.bmp"

' update in registry
oShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper", sWallPaper

' let the system know about the change
oShell.Run _
"%windir%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters",
_
1, True

Cheers

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the response
>
> regedit.exe is also listed as restricted application in group policy ..
> "dont run specific application"
> so will using logon script to merge the reg by /s command will be allowed
> or
> popup "restriction on the computer do not allows you to run the
> application..." msg
>
> With Regards,
> Nikhil Bendre
>

> "Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> You can either use a VBS script to manipulate the registry, or do what I
>> would do in this situation.
>>
>> Export the settings to a .reg file that can be imported on a client.
>>
>> Under User Configuration | Windows Settings | Scripts (Logon/Logoff) |
>> Logon, click the "show files" button and copy the .reg file in, for
> example
>> as "myfile.reg".
>>
>> Then, add a script with "regedit" as the command and "/s %~dp0myfile.reg"
> as
>> the parameter.
>>
>> I would use this solution for a network such as yours where replication
>> of
>> the file between DCs will not be a problem.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Oli
>>

>> "Nikhil Bendre" <nik@nik.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Currently we have 250 desktops and 2 DC. 60 PC are WinXP and rest
> win2000
>> > sp3. 1 DC with Win2000 sp2 and other with sp3. I have currently setup
>> > group
>> > policy to apply restrcitions for applications and desktop control.
>> > Active Desktop has been disabled on all pcs.
>> >
>> > Problem :
>> > I want to implement a domain wide policy to standardize on wallpaper.
>> > since
>> > active desktop is disabled jpg and gif files cannot be applied until it
> is
>> > enabled. I would like to use bmp file as wallpaper as general
>> > wallpaper.
>> > The
>> > wallpaper registry which can be utilize in this case is
>> >
>> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
>> > "Wallpaper"="C:\\WINNT\\win2000.bmp"
>> > "WallpaperStyle"="2
>> >
>> > how do i implement this from group policy cause i do not see any
>> > options
>> > or
>> > help to set this registry key?
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > With Regards,
>> > Nikhil Bendre

Thanks for update.

will give it a try....

> I haven't tested this, but I strongly suspect it will be blocked by the
> policy, as the command would run under the context of the user.
>
> You could also try this vbscript, borrowed from Torgeir Bakken (Norwegian
> God of scripting). If should work for Windows 2000 and XP, according to
> Torgeir.
>

> Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>
> sWinDir = oFSO.GetSpecialFolder(0)
> sWallPaper = sWinDir & "\Coffee Bean.bmp"
>
> ' update in registry
> oShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper", sWallPaper
>
> ' let the system know about the change
> oShell.Run _
> "%windir%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters",
> _
> 1, True
>

> Cheers
>
> Oli
>

> "Nikhil Bendre" <nik@nik.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for the response
> >
> > regedit.exe is also listed as restricted application in group policy ..
> > "dont run specific application"
> > so will using logon script to merge the reg by /s command will be
allowed
> > or
> > popup "restriction on the computer do not allows you to run the
> > application..." msg
> >
> > With Regards,
> > Nikhil Bendre
> >

> > "Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> You can either use a VBS script to manipulate the registry, or do what
> >> would do in this situation.
> >>
> >> Export the settings to a .reg file that can be imported on a client.
> >>
> >> Under User Configuration | Windows Settings | Scripts (Logon/Logoff) |
> >> Logon, click the "show files" button and copy the .reg file in, for
> > example
> >> as "myfile.reg".
> >>
> >> Then, add a script with "regedit" as the command and "/s
%~dp0myfile.reg"
> > as
> >> the parameter.
> >>
> >> I would use this solution for a network such as yours where replication
> >> of
> >> the file between DCs will not be a problem.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps
> >>
> >> Oli
> >>

> >> "Nikhil Bendre" <nik@nik.com> wrote in message

> > win2000