Putting download upgrade of Win 7 on new system. Plz Help!

knight31

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Please help need computer up and running yesterday!

I have bought the upgrade win 7 pro 64-bit (download through digital river) and have also got the back up disc from them which just came in the mail. What i need to know is exactly how do a clean install on a new system with the upgrade that is a download. I have looked online and found a ton of answers for this, but does anyone know which way is the easiest and safest way to do this in my particular case? Has anyone done this and confirmed it will work? I just don't want to mess something up
Thank You

netix

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
hey i'm in the same situation as you. but i'm not gonna use the discs from DR since they haven't arrived yet and i'm building my PC in two days. so im gonna burn it on a DVD and install that way.

mind telling me what solution you found? thanks

knight31

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Yeah that was what i was originally planning on doing as well.
Let me give u a heads up if u didnt already know.....DR sucks. They have the worst customer service i have ever talked to.

Anyways what you need to do is call MS directly (1-877-696-7786) and tell them you want the custom build clean install Win 7 (home or Pro whatever one u want) and they will be more than happy to give it to you for the same price as the upgrade one. I got it for $29.99 (no sales tax in oregon :D ), also there is free ground shipping right know for the holidays.

Since you did exactly what i did, your probably wondering what to do with the DR Win7 upgrade you already got. The DR guy i called told me that he was going to send me an email of how to return the disc and get a full refund, but of course the liar never did. Here is DR # (952-253-1234) if you wanna give it a try.

I am probably going to either give it to a friend or try to sell it. Im not sure if it is legal to sell the disc though, since it says not for re-sale on it and do not lend.....oh well its up to you

Hope this helps ;)

netix

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

oh man, i couldn't agree more with you. DR customer service is horrible. but now it's too late for me to cancel my order and get a refund (if they even give out refunds...) the idiots i spoke to over the internet were clueless. i asked "can i install it on a NEW PC with no pre-existing OS" they end up telling me that i ordered Windows 7 Pro 32bit (i clearly ordered 64bit) or how it's an OEM verision.. seriously, idiots..

i should have done the microsoft thing but it's too late now. i just want to build my PC thursday and use it. im just gonna put it on a flash drive. HOWEVER, if i cant install it ima just cancel if thats possible and call microsoft. i just dont have the time since ive been waiting a week already to build my pc

netix

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
hmm well im looking at the email and it says "Alternate download for clean installation (required for XP and Vista 32-bit users)" under the download link for the .iso. so hmm maybe my copy has a clean install or something O_O

knight31

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Yeah i will definitely never be doing business with DR again. I already talked to MS about them and they said they can't return it since it was bought through DR. :( They also said they get a ton of complaints about them daily; isn't that a surprise.lol

I had my computer built and running since last week and this has been an unnecessary pain. I don't think they have any idea what they sold you or are even selling. I was surprised when the disk finally came in the mail and said win 7 on it. Btw it took about three weeks to come in the mail!; longest ground shipping ive ever heard of. Then when i emailed them to check on my order they told me i had never even made an order with them and my email checks out and if you would like to place an order you may click here (link)! Mind you this is the same email that i had to give them in order to confirm that i am a college student. 2 days later it finally arrives in the mail. They seriously put the short bus to shame with this!!!

netix

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
same here, DR is terrible. i should have called Microsoft, but i was in a hurry to order windows so i didnt :/

nice, im gonna build mine tomorrow. ive been waiting for ever to build it, the parts have been in my room for a week. yeah, i bet u mine will arrive by Christmas time.. the "findmyorder" thing is a load of ***. it doesnt' track ur order. it jsut tells u wat u ordered.. :/