Sign in with
Your question

Building QX6700 sytems for oc

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2007 7:50:10 PM

Here's what I'm thinking about for my new system. I want to go for a mid-range overclock and I'm wondering what would be the best memory to go for? I'm thinking about OCZ DDR2 PC8500 2048MB KIT, nVIDIA SLI™- Ready Edition. I think the sli feature will come in handy since I don't know much about voltages and ram timings, and i don't want to end up damaging my expensive rig.

- NZXT LEXA Black Aluminium Chassi, Screwless design, (Without PSU)
- LG DVD Drive, GDR-8164RBB, 16x52, Black OEM
- LG DVD±RW burner, GSA-H12LRB, 18x, Dual, LightScribe, Black Retail
- Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU Cooler, Blue Light, 17dBA Socket 775/754/939/940
- Point of View GeForce 8800GTX 768MB, GDDR3, PCI-Express, DVI/Tv-Out, Retail
- Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM (x 2)
- ABIT IN9 32X-MAX WiFi, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775,ATX,2xGbLAN,DDR2,2xPCI-Ex16
- Razer Tarantula Gaming Keyboard, US-Layout
- Razer Copperhead Tempest Blue, 2000dpi Laser Mouse, USB
- OCZ Technology Powersupply ATX/EPS 850W, 120mm Fan, SATA, 4/8pin CPU, 20/24pin
- Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.67GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan

More about : building qx6700 sytems

January 17, 2007 1:38:29 AM

Well, what exactly is a "mid-range" OC? Like what frequency are you trying to get it up to?
January 17, 2007 7:27:46 AM

Overclocking the qx6700......Yes they do overclock. ive had mine briefly run at 11x266fsb and 10x333fsb. Why briefly? The heat the qx6700 generates is an enormous amount. I changed the heatsink from the intel one which sounds like a jet engine with qfan turned off (asus p5w deluxe) and an idle temp of 50.c to a arctic cooling freezer 7 pro.
It now idles at about 46.c but is quiet.... If your going to overclock the qx6700 then some extreme form of cooling is mandatory.

Paul
Related resources
January 17, 2007 10:10:04 AM

Well looking at other peoples results I would go for around 3.3ghz. I'm thinking of buying the Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU Cooler, I think that's enough to keep it cool under load. It has the added benefit of pushing excess air onto the boards heatpipes. Do you think I'll need to water cool it to get those speeds?
January 17, 2007 12:33:19 PM

I could go for the Noctua NH-U12 and fit a 2000rpm akasa 120mm fan with blue LED, for twice the price. That seems to be one of the best air coolers around. Would that be sufficient to overclock to 3.3Ghz and maintain stability?
January 17, 2007 2:38:56 PM

If you want to overclock, then you really need to look at water to maintain low stable temperatures and decent noise levels. Question is why clock a £650 cpu? Its fast enough considering a lot of apps and games dont make full use of it yet.
A mate has a 6600 core duo and has his clocked to 3.4-3.6gig, at a fraction of the cost. Yes he can overclock but he cannot add more cores.

Even with 7 case fans 6x80mm+1x92mm, psu fan and my geforce 8800gtx with its fan on max my idle temps are regularly 48-49.c. It WAS 55.c with the intel heatsink. Under full load running prime 6 times my temps are maxing out at 72.C
You really need water coolling IMHO. Also remember we are in the middle of winter at the moment. Wait till the summer temps are heating the room up more than the central heating.

I did look at the nzxt cases.....Just be carefull that if you buy a geforce 8800gtx that the cards gonna fit and not be obstructed by the hard drive cage.
My ram is corsair twin2x 6400pro 4x1gig. Plenty fast enough for a 333fsb.
Paul
January 17, 2007 3:59:56 PM

Your probably right its not worth overclocking it since there are no apps that can make it break a sweat at stock speed. Thanks for the advice.
January 17, 2007 5:03:31 PM

If your gonna run stock i can recommend the freezer 7 pro heatsink. A bargain at 15quid. Betters the intel solution by about 5.c at idle and 8.c at full load but its QUIET and doesnt require mobo out to fit.
Enjoy your new system, it will fly.

Paul
January 17, 2007 8:37:19 PM

You must be insane to buy something that has *SLi ready* stamped onto it.(Besides the motherboard) Your probably paying a good amount more because of that stamp. Its all just a gimmick to get people like you to buy their product. Just buy the ram you want with the exact timings and specifications you want. And I wouldn't suggest overclocking the QX6700 considering like SINK said, no applications can utilitize 4 cores, let alone almost 2.
January 22, 2007 8:42:58 PM

You need be better informed as the only people using very high end computers are not just gamers, and even more interesting, we are making money with them. Digital audio and video are two big areas that love multiple processors as they are multi-threaded applications. Nuendo which is a top shelf post audio production loves the new quads, I have one, I over clock it easily with simply a 12 multiplier, it doesn't overheat, I use stock Intel cooling and it runs all day in my recording studio.

From http://www.steinberg.de/fileadmin/redaktion/PDF/multiprocessing/Multiprocessing_Tech_Info.pdf

Quote:
Quad (or more) processor systems: Cubase and Nuendo version 3.1 or
higher include support for more than two physical processors. Such
systems benefit from all processor and dynamic multiprocessor support in
the same way as dual processor systems. Theoretically, Cubase and
Nuendo users could use supercomputers with even more physical
processors running in parallel. However, these six-digit $$$ systems
probably exceed the budget of most people and are usually found in
research labs and big corporations. Also, they have never been tested
with Cubase Nuendo.
Dual-core systems: both AMD and Intel are now offering dual-core
processor systems. A dual-core CPU combines two independent
processors and their respective caches and cache controllers onto a
single silicon chip, or integrated circuit. The performance result is
comparable to a dual processor system. Dual core processor technology
can be combined with multi processor systems - resulting in an even
higher performance. AMD already offers solutions combining two dual
core processors in a single system to form a quad-core system with
amazing performance. Initial tests with Nuendo on such a system confirm
that Steinberg's VST system fully benefits from such processor
configurations resulting in massive performance boosts compared to a
single-processor system.
January 22, 2007 10:45:58 PM

Well said Edenorchestra, but you forgot a lot of the 3D work like Maya and whatnot, even photoshop for that matter. All of these programs just eat up cores as you throw them out there. Although, audio and video are probably 2 of the better examples out there. Come to think of it, I'm upgrading my dual- 5160's once the 45nm monolithic quad-cores come out!
January 27, 2007 7:58:33 PM

Thank you edenorchestra for addressing the creative community. Not to dis the high performance gamers out there, but I'm having a hard time finding good information about building multicore oc systems for pro audio and design use. This is particularly frustrating considering that the tools for creating audio, video, and 2D/3D graphics are precicely those that fully utilize multicore processing environments.

I'm building a new system for my home music studio and for graphic design. I've pretty much decided on a qx6700 system overclocked to 3.2 GHz w/8Gb of RAM running windows x64. (Compare this system with Gateway's factory overclocked FX530XT). I want to run Sonar and Cubase with multiple instances of Kontakt with multigigabyte sample libraries. (There is a nice demo of this done on a similar system at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/videos/default...)

I've come down to two big questions. How to cool the QX6700? and, slightly off topic for this thread, the issue of future upgradability (QX6700 vs. dual Xeon).

edenorchestra mentions he uses the stock intel cooling without overheating. That is music to my ears. I've been reading dozens of reviews of coolers, none of which actually test on QX6700s. The enthusiast/gaming community is screaming that you can't cool an overclocked QX6700 without water. I can't even tell from my research what specific temperature constitutes overheating. I am now thinking the Thermaltake blue orb II will do fine for such a system. Any Thoughts?

On the upgradability issue; the QX6700 is basically maxed out once you get to 8Gb of RAM and overclock the processor. It's a monster system, but if you want more later it seems it might be better to start with a Xeon 5360 and then drop a second processor in later when the price comes down. I've read that the QX6700 system severely out-benchmarks the Xeon system largely because of the FB-DIMM latency.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any real world experience with these systems.

Cheers,

Scotty
January 28, 2007 12:45:58 PM

Scotty,

I can't speak for the future of upgradability, but as we all know technology always demands that at some point in time we bite the bullet and make major changes. I do know that dual socket MOBO's seem to live in the server board world. Another issue with server boards is that they tend not to have the same bus structure as found in workstation boards. I have two high end audio PCI cards for digital signal processing that I didn't want to upgrade to PCIexpress and so I stayed in the workstation world to find a MOBO that gave me that.

As for overheating, all I can say is that I have the stock fan and overclocked the QX6700 CPU to 12 and my cpu seems fine. I don't want to push things just to say my rig runs fast at the expense of loosing project material or having data loss when tracking and mixing a good musical take. This quad kicks ass on Steinberg's Nuendo. I use a lot of VST plugins for reverbs, equalization, compression, etc, and having all this mult-threading is a blessing.

Remember that XP 32 can only see about 3.2GB of RAM once the PCI picks off some memory so having 8GB would be a waste. Until my vendors of my audio cards develop 64 bit drivers, I will stay where I am. In many cases they probably won't write the 64bit drivers for legacy cards, but right now I am very happy with what I have.

Check out the audio forums for more information on what you are looking for. Nuendo is a VERY high end audio application and the folks on this forum are pro's http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/index.php?sid=6b6fc321e7ab535cb1fb2e927ec07f20
Go to the "Computer Hardware & Setup" section, there is a wealth of knowledge here. The moderators take NO CRAP in the discussions, so you won't find the typical rude people you often encounter in other places. Also I highly recommend ADK computers for a source for gear http://www.adkproaudio.com/, these guys have built boxes for U2, Peter Framton, and on. If you call them, they can steer you in the right direction, as they test all the new technology and cater to the home studio type person.

Hope this helps
January 28, 2007 3:17:00 PM

No still here. Thanks for the input. I set up my rig and I'm running it at stock speeds for the moment. All the apps and games I run only use one or two cores at the most. With the blue orb II the CPU stays around 38C idle and 45C-50C under load, I could OC and go to 55C and maintain stability but I don't see the point for the moment. So far its handled every game I've thrown at it with full settings, 1920*1200 resolution and full AA. I haven't stress tested it yet, what's good for program for testing quad cores? Also can anyone recommend an inexpensive DVD ripper which can multi thread?
January 28, 2007 3:22:16 PM

Hmm... do you have like CPUmark 05 or anything? Stress testing... multi-testing... hmm... do you have like Maya? How about just like do some CRAZY multi-tasking?
January 28, 2007 3:30:39 PM

I have CPUMark 2.1, that's the latest version as far as I'm aware but it only uses one core. No I don't have Maya. I have AutoCAD 2007 but i have not installed it yet, is that multi-threaded?
January 28, 2007 3:40:57 PM

I was able to run 4 instances of CPUMark and every thing else froze including the mouse. The tests completed after only a few minutes and the cpu only reached 47C.
January 28, 2007 3:43:26 PM

If I'm correct, AutoCAD 2007, as well as most content-creation apps, are all multi-threaded. Now... what else would you have that could multi-thread? Anything like... well... I can't think of anything right now, but how about just multi-tasking for now? That generally works quite nicely. Try working on something while running a ton of apps in the background.

EDIT: Well, now that you've already found a way to test it then great! It's good to hear that this CPU is POWERFUL, hope you have a great time with that system.
!