C2D Memory Compatibility? Desperate for Answers!

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
I've heard that many Intel chipsets (particularly the p965) won't POST if the default RAM voltage is anything other than 1.8v. Can anyone confirm this? I ask because my PQI Turbo RAM is 2.0v; I've already had one Biostar board which wouldn't POST, and I'm a little gun-shy. I was looking at the new 650i's from NVidia; would those work? Any help appreciated!

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Not true. My P5B-E booted with 1.9v Corsair right out of the box. Some mobos may be picky so you boot into the bios with one stick, set the stock voltage, then add the other stick.

Mondoman

Splendid
I've heard that many Intel chipsets (particularly the p965) won't POST if the default RAM voltage is anything other than 1.8v. ...
ALL properly-designed DDR2 RAM will boot at 1.8V, the DDR2 standard (or default) voltage (although perhaps at a slower speed/latency than that advertised for higher voltages). The higher voltages seen in manufacturer's advertising/specs are voltages used for manufacturer-sanctioned overclocks; they are not "default" voltages.
The DDR2 memory industry is not yet mature, and so improperly designed/programmed DDR2 DIMMs that won't boot on some systems are an unfortunate reality. Certain manufacturers, such as Corsair and Kingston, emphasize compatibility, while others, such as OCZ, emphasize performance over compatibility. In any case, almost all DIMMs carry lifetime warranties these days, so if you have an incompatibility problem, just return the module for replacement under warranty

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Good to know, thanks. What might the symptoms of incompatible RAM be? I assume the board would still display an image? I'm just trying to lock down the reason my last build failed to POST, and the RAM is #2 on the list of suspects. I didn't even get an error beep, so I'm leaning towards blaming the mobo.

Mondoman

Splendid
The usual symptom would be failing the POST. You may not get an error beep. The only way I finally diagnosed the issue with some high-end Ballistix RAM I had was that the MB would boot fine with some Corsair RAM I got later, but not with the Ballistix. Crucial (make of Ballistix) tech support was very helpful and agreed that the board should also boot with the Ballistix alone; they gave me an RMA # and I sent in the RAM for replacement under warranty. The modules I got back were a later revision number and worked fine on the MB.

TRENDING THREADS