Letters with accents as in French...

February 7, 2005 6:37:22 PM

Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?

DD

More about : letters accents french

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:37:23 PM

Accents and diacriticals in your computer
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/spanport/keyboard.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"DD" wrote:

| Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
| keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
| combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
| accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?
|
| DD
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:37:23 PM

Are you going to be using French characters only or other languages as well?

"DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
> keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a combination
> of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and accent or
> fractions etc. Can anyone help?
>
> DD
Related resources
February 7, 2005 6:37:23 PM

"DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
> keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
> combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
> accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?

Rather than memorizing all those ALT+nnnn codes, wouldn't it be easier
to use the Character Map utility so you could see the character (and in
the font you want) before copying and pasting it.

February 7, 2005 6:37:23 PM

DD wrote:

> Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
> keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
> combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
> accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?
>
> DD
Check your application's documentation, including the on screen help
function. Some commonly used word processors have functions to ease
entry of characters like that. As an example; in Microsoft Word you can
type an à by typing CTRL+` followed by a. In Word similar combinations
produce à, è, ì, ò, ù, À, È, Ì, Ò, Ù, á, é, í, ó, ú, ý, Á, É, Í, Ó, Ú,
Ý, â, ê, î, ô, û, Â, Ê, Î, Ô, Û, ã, ñ, õ, Ã, Ñ, Õ, ä, ë, ï, ö, ü, ÿ, Ä,
Ë, Ï, Ö, Ü, Ÿ, å, Å, æ, Æ, œ, Œ, ç, Ç, ð, Ð, ø, Ø, ¿, ¡ and ß. Modifier
keys to use with CTRL include " `, ', ^, ~, :, @, & comma, and /. Use
ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+? for ¿ (similar for ¡) CTRL+SHIFT+& followed by s for ß.

If you have Word check the help index for "Type International Characters".
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:37:23 PM

| Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
| keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
| combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
| accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?
|
| DD

Not possiblé.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:37:23 PM

"DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to
> display from keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading
> somewhere that a combination of keys and numbers will produce
> the combined letter and accent or fractions etc. Can anyone
> help?

There's more than one way to do this. I use a little freeware
background program called AllChars. This lets me (in all
applications) type many common special characters (many of these
are used in other languages) by pressing the ctrl key followed by
a two character mnemonic combination.

For example, for ñ the two characters are ~ and n. For ç it's c
and , For ü it's u and "

Go to http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:38:39 PM

DD wrote:

>Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
>keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
>combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
>accent or fractions etc

At Regional and Language - Languages - Details, use Add and Add the US
International keyboard layout (and possibly set hot keys for switching
layouts). This provides 'dead key' effects for languages like French.
eg ' and e will give é or ^^ and u û or ' and c ç

February 7, 2005 7:17:46 PM

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Are you going to be using French characters only or other languages as well?

Only French at this point in time but my main interest was to know how,
or if, it was possible for future use. I had reason the other day to
want an accented 'e' and I thought I should find out for future use.
Thanks for your interest...

DD
February 7, 2005 11:09:51 PM

Vanguard wrote:
> "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
>> keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
>> combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
>> accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?
>

> Rather than memorizing all those ALT+nnnn codes, wouldn't it be easier
> to use the Character Map utility so you could see the character (and in
> the font you want) before copying and pasting it.

Sounds good, but someone would have to tell me how to do that!

DD
February 7, 2005 11:09:52 PM

> Vanguard wrote:
>> "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display
>>> from keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
>>> combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
>>> accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?
>>

>> Rather than memorizing all those ALT+nnnn codes, wouldn't it be
>> easier to use the Character Map utility so you could see the
>> character (and in the font you want) before copying and pasting it.
>>
> Sounds good, but someone would have to tell me how to do that!

Start -> Help and Support. Search on "character map".

If you didn't include it when you installed Windows XP, run Add/Remove
Programs, click on Add/Remove Windows Components, select Accessories and
Utilities, look at details for Accessories, select Character Map to
install it. You'll need the install CD.

February 7, 2005 11:09:52 PM

Start>Run "charmap.exe"

OR Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map

Gord

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:09:51 +1100, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Rather than memorizing all those ALT+nnnn codes, wouldn't it be easier
>> to use the Character Map utility so you could see the character (and in
>> the font you want) before copying and pasting it.
>>
>Sounds good, but someone would have to tell me how to do that!
>
>DD
February 8, 2005 1:42:27 PM

Ken Blake wrote:
> "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to
>>display from keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading
>>somewhere that a combination of keys and numbers will produce
>>the combined letter and accent or fractions etc. Can anyone
>>help?
>

> There's more than one way to do this. I use a little freeware
> background program called AllChars. This lets me (in all
> applications) type many common special characters (many of these
> are used in other languages) by pressing the ctrl key followed by
> a two character mnemonic combination.
>
> For example, for ñ the two characters are ~ and n. For ç it's c
> and , For ü it's u and "
>
> Go to http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

I like the sound of this program because it does a lot more than I
asked. I am using WinXP Home and XP is not mentioned as compatible but
it works with NT so I guess it should. The Alt+nnn is a convenient way
to type accented letters but as far as I can see it will not type
fractions which is one of the things I need occasionally.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

DD
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:42:28 PM

DD

ALT + 188, 189 or 190 will give you fractions.

Limited, I realize, but fractions nonetheless.

Gord

> Ken Blake wrote:

>> "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to
>>>display from keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading
>>>somewhere that a combination of keys and numbers will produce
>>>the combined letter and accent or fractions etc. Can anyone
>>>help?
>>

>> There's more than one way to do this. I use a little freeware
>> background program called AllChars. This lets me (in all
>> applications) type many common special characters (many of
>> these are used in other languages) by pressing the ctrl key
>> followed by a two character mnemonic combination.
>>
>> For example, for ñ the two characters are ~ and n. For ç it's
>> c and , For ü it's u and "
>>
>> Go to http://allchars.zwolnet.com/
>>

> I like the sound of this program because it does a lot more
> than I asked. I am using WinXP Home and XP is not mentioned as
> compatible but it works with NT so I guess it should.

I can vouch for its working with XP just fine.

> The Alt+nnn is a convenient way to type accented letters but as
> far as I can see it will not type fractions which is one of the
> things I need occasionally.
> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

You're welcome. It doesn't do all fractions, of course, but
common ones like ½ (Ctrl 1 2) and ¼ (Ctrl 1 4) are easy.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:42:29 PM

<Gord Dibben> wrote in message
news:D s3g01pljns0jm0a4n3tjfefm6hh10jvnp@4ax.com...
> DD
>
> ALT + 188, 189 or 190 will give you fractions.
>
> Limited, I realize, but fractions nonetheless.
>

> Gord
>
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:42:27 +1100, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I like the sound of this program because it does a lot more
>>than I
>>asked. I am using WinXP Home and XP is not mentioned as
>>compatible but
>>it works with NT so I guess it should. The Alt+nnn is a
>>convenient way
>>to type accented letters but as far as I can see it will not
>>type
>>fractions which is one of the things I need occasionally.
>> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:42:29 PM

<Gord Dibben> wrote in message
news:D s3g01pljns0jm0a4n3tjfefm6hh10jvnp@4ax.com...

> DD
>
> ALT + 188, 189 or 190 will give you fractions.
>
> Limited, I realize, but fractions nonetheless.

The problem with using Alt+ combinations for fractions, or
non-English accented characters, is only that they are difficult
to remember. To get ¼, it's a lot easier to remember Ctrl-1-4
(using AllChars) than Alt-0-1-8-8.

Other than that mnemonic value, AllChars doesn't do anything
special here.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:42:27 +1100, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I like the sound of this program because it does a lot more
>>than I
>>asked. I am using WinXP Home and XP is not mentioned as
>>compatible but
>>it works with NT so I guess it should. The Alt+nnn is a
>>convenient way
>>to type accented letters but as far as I can see it will not
>>type
>>fractions which is one of the things I need occasionally.
>> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:42:30 PM

Good point Ken.

Thanks, Gord

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:12:38 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

><Gord Dibben> wrote in message
>news:D s3g01pljns0jm0a4n3tjfefm6hh10jvnp@4ax.com...
>
>> DD
>>
>> ALT + 188, 189 or 190 will give you fractions.
>>
>> Limited, I realize, but fractions nonetheless.
>

>The problem with using Alt+ combinations for fractions, or
>non-English accented characters, is only that they are difficult
>to remember. To get ¼, it's a lot easier to remember Ctrl-1-4
>(using AllChars) than Alt-0-1-8-8.
>
>Other than that mnemonic value, AllChars doesn't do anything
>special here.
February 8, 2005 10:59:08 PM

Gord Dibben wrote:
> DD
>
> ALT + 188, 189 or 190 will give you fractions.
>
> Limited, I realize, but fractions nonetheless.
>

> Gord
>
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:42:27 +1100, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I like the sound of this program because it does a lot more than I
>>asked. I am using WinXP Home and XP is not mentioned as compatible but
>>it works with NT so I guess it should. The Alt+nnn is a convenient way
>>to type accented letters but as far as I can see it will not type
>>fractions which is one of the things I need occasionally.
>> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I don't get fractions when I use Alt+188,189,190, whether I use the RHS
keyboard with F Lock on or off! I discovered that I have to use
0188,0189 and 0190!

DD
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 10:59:09 PM