Letters with accents as in French...

Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?

DD
21 answers Last reply
More about letters accents french

    Accents and diacriticals in your computer
    http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/spanport/keyboard.html

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "DD" wrote:

    | Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
    | keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
    | combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
    | accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?
    |
    | DD

    Are you going to be using French characters only or other languages as well?

    "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
    > keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a combination
    > of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and accent or
    > fractions etc. Can anyone help?
    >
    > DD

    "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
    > keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
    > combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
    > accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?

    Rather than memorizing all those ALT+nnnn codes, wouldn't it be easier
    to use the Character Map utility so you could see the character (and in
    the font you want) before copying and pasting it.

    DD wrote:

    > Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
    > keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
    > combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
    > accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?
    >
    > DD
    Check your application's documentation, including the on screen help
    function. Some commonly used word processors have functions to ease
    entry of characters like that. As an example; in Microsoft Word you can
    type an à by typing CTRL+` followed by a. In Word similar combinations
    produce à, è, ì, ò, ù, À, È, Ì, Ò, Ù, á, é, í, ó, ú, ý, Á, É, Í, Ó, Ú,
    Ý, â, ê, î, ô, û, Â, Ê, Î, Ô, Û, ã, ñ, õ, Ã, Ñ, Õ, ä, ë, ï, ö, ü, ÿ, Ä,
    Ë, Ï, Ö, Ü, Ÿ, å, Å, æ, Æ, œ, Œ, ç, Ç, ð, Ð, ø, Ø, ¿, ¡ and ß. Modifier
    keys to use with CTRL include " `, ', ^, ~, :, @, & comma, and /. Use
    ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+? for ¿ (similar for ¡) CTRL+SHIFT+& followed by s for ß.

    If you have Word check the help index for "Type International Characters".

    | Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
    | keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
    | combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
    | accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?
    |
    | DD

    Not possiblé.

    "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to
    > display from keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading
    > somewhere that a combination of keys and numbers will produce
    > the combined letter and accent or fractions etc. Can anyone
    > help?

    There's more than one way to do this. I use a little freeware
    background program called AllChars. This lets me (in all
    applications) type many common special characters (many of these
    are used in other languages) by pressing the ctrl key followed by
    a two character mnemonic combination.

    For example, for ñ the two characters are ~ and n. For ç it's c
    and , For ü it's u and "

    Go to http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    DD wrote:

    >Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
    >keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
    >combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
    >accent or fractions etc

    At Regional and Language - Languages - Details, use Add and Add the US
    International keyboard layout (and possibly set hot keys for switching
    layouts). This provides 'dead key' effects for languages like French.
    eg ' and e will give é or ^^ and u û or ' and c ç

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Are you going to be using French characters only or other languages as well?

    Only French at this point in time but my main interest was to know how,
    or if, it was possible for future use. I had reason the other day to
    want an accented 'e' and I thought I should find out for future use.
    Thanks for your interest...

    DD

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Accents and diacriticals in your computer
    > http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/spanport/keyboard.html

    Thanks a lot! Any ideas where I will find the complete list of
    Alt+number codes?

    DD

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Accents and diacriticals in your computer
    > http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/spanport/keyboard.html

    No problem I found it here:

    http://french.about.com/library/bl-accents.htm

    DD

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display from
    >> keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
    >> combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
    >> accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?
    >

    > Rather than memorizing all those ALT+nnnn codes, wouldn't it be easier
    > to use the Character Map utility so you could see the character (and in
    > the font you want) before copying and pasting it.

    Sounds good, but someone would have to tell me how to do that!

    DD

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >> "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to display
    >>> from keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a
    >>> combination of keys and numbers will produce the combined letter and
    >>> accent or fractions etc. Can anyone help?
    >>

    >> Rather than memorizing all those ALT+nnnn codes, wouldn't it be
    >> easier to use the Character Map utility so you could see the
    >> character (and in the font you want) before copying and pasting it.
    >>
    > Sounds good, but someone would have to tell me how to do that!

    Start -> Help and Support. Search on "character map".

    If you didn't include it when you installed Windows XP, run Add/Remove
    Programs, click on Add/Remove Windows Components, select Accessories and
    Utilities, look at details for Accessories, select Character Map to
    install it. You'll need the install CD.

    Start>Run "charmap.exe"

    OR Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map

    Gord

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to
    >>display from keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading
    >>somewhere that a combination of keys and numbers will produce
    >>the combined letter and accent or fractions etc. Can anyone
    >>help?
    >

    > There's more than one way to do this. I use a little freeware
    > background program called AllChars. This lets me (in all
    > applications) type many common special characters (many of these
    > are used in other languages) by pressing the ctrl key followed by
    > a two character mnemonic combination.
    >
    > For example, for ñ the two characters are ~ and n. For ç it's c
    > and , For ü it's u and "
    >
    > Go to http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

    I like the sound of this program because it does a lot more than I
    asked. I am using WinXP Home and XP is not mentioned as compatible but
    it works with NT so I guess it should. The Alt+nnn is a convenient way
    to type accented letters but as far as I can see it will not type
    fractions which is one of the things I need occasionally.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

    DD

    DD

    ALT + 188, 189 or 190 will give you fractions.

    Limited, I realize, but fractions nonetheless.

    Gord

    > Ken Blake wrote:

    >> "DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Is it possible to get a letter with an accent above it to
    >>>display from keyboard strokes? I seem to remember reading
    >>>somewhere that a combination of keys and numbers will produce
    >>>the combined letter and accent or fractions etc. Can anyone
    >>>help?
    >>

    >> There's more than one way to do this. I use a little freeware
    >> background program called AllChars. This lets me (in all
    >> applications) type many common special characters (many of
    >> these are used in other languages) by pressing the ctrl key
    >> followed by a two character mnemonic combination.
    >>
    >> For example, for ñ the two characters are ~ and n. For ç it's
    >> c and , For ü it's u and "
    >>
    >> Go to http://allchars.zwolnet.com/
    >>

    > I like the sound of this program because it does a lot more
    > than I asked. I am using WinXP Home and XP is not mentioned as
    > compatible but it works with NT so I guess it should.

    I can vouch for its working with XP just fine.

    > The Alt+nnn is a convenient way to type accented letters but as
    > far as I can see it will not type fractions which is one of the
    > things I need occasionally.
    > Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

    You're welcome. It doesn't do all fractions, of course, but
    common ones like ½ (Ctrl 1 2) and ¼ (Ctrl 1 4) are easy.

    <Gord Dibben> wrote in message
    > DD
    >
    > ALT + 188, 189 or 190 will give you fractions.
    >
    > Limited, I realize, but fractions nonetheless.
    >

    > Gord
    >
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:42:27 +1100, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I like the sound of this program because it does a lot more
    >>than I
    >>asked. I am using WinXP Home and XP is not mentioned as
    >>compatible but
    >>it works with NT so I guess it should. The Alt+nnn is a
    >>convenient way
    >>to type accented letters but as far as I can see it will not
    >>type
    >>fractions which is one of the things I need occasionally.
    >> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    <Gord Dibben> wrote in message

    > DD
    >
    > ALT + 188, 189 or 190 will give you fractions.
    >
    > Limited, I realize, but fractions nonetheless.

    The problem with using Alt+ combinations for fractions, or
    non-English accented characters, is only that they are difficult
    to remember. To get ¼, it's a lot easier to remember Ctrl-1-4
    (using AllChars) than Alt-0-1-8-8.

    Other than that mnemonic value, AllChars doesn't do anything
    special here.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:42:27 +1100, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I like the sound of this program because it does a lot more
    >>than I
    >>asked. I am using WinXP Home and XP is not mentioned as
    >>compatible but
    >>it works with NT so I guess it should. The Alt+nnn is a
    >>convenient way
    >>to type accented letters but as far as I can see it will not
    >>type
    >>fractions which is one of the things I need occasionally.
    >> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Good point Ken.

    Thanks, Gord

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:12:38 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    ><Gord Dibben> wrote in message
    >
    >> DD
    >>
    >> ALT + 188, 189 or 190 will give you fractions.
    >>
    >> Limited, I realize, but fractions nonetheless.
    >

    >The problem with using Alt+ combinations for fractions, or
    >non-English accented characters, is only that they are difficult
    >to remember. To get ¼, it's a lot easier to remember Ctrl-1-4
    >(using AllChars) than Alt-0-1-8-8.
    >
    >Other than that mnemonic value, AllChars doesn't do anything
    >special here.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Gord Dibben wrote:
    > DD
    >
    > ALT + 188, 189 or 190 will give you fractions.
    >
    > Limited, I realize, but fractions nonetheless.
    >

    > Gord
    >
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:42:27 +1100, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I like the sound of this program because it does a lot more than I
    >>asked. I am using WinXP Home and XP is not mentioned as compatible but
    >>it works with NT so I guess it should. The Alt+nnn is a convenient way
    >>to type accented letters but as far as I can see it will not type
    >>fractions which is one of the things I need occasionally.
    >> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

    I don't get fractions when I use Alt+188,189,190, whether I use the RHS
    keyboard with F Lock on or off! I discovered that I have to use
    0188,0189 and 0190!

    DD
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    DD

    Correct. Missed the 0's in my post.

    Gord

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:59:08 +1100, DD <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I don't get fractions when I use Alt+188,189,190, whether I use the RHS
    >keyboard with F Lock on or off! I discovered that I have to use
    >0188,0189 and 0190!

Keyboards Microsoft Windows XP Displays