1st time overclocker

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I got my x1950xt in the mail yesterday and have never before owned a graphics card (used integrated for a few years) I have been playing around with it on ATI tool. Stock temps at 621/900 are 49 idle and 86 load. Then i pushed it to 670/999 and was at 53 idle and 90 load. This seems a little high. When i tried 680 on core my comp rebooted. Will running my at 90 be ok for it. How high can i push it? Also what kind of artifacts should i be looking for?

Also which temp reading should i be looking at there is like 5 on ati tool?

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I got my x1950xt in the mail yesterday and have never before owned a graphics card (used integrated for a few years) I have been playing around with it on ATI tool. Stock temps at 621/900 are 49 idle and 86 load. Then i pushed it to 670/999 and was at 53 idle and 90 load. This seems a little high. When i tried 680 on core my comp rebooted. Will running my at 90 be ok for it. How high can i push it? Also what kind of artifacts should i be looking for?

Also which temp reading should i be looking at there is like 5 on ati tool?

Its bit on a high side when load is 86C and 90C.
Are you adjusting your speed fan? If not you can adjust your speed fan its in you Settings.
Use the Scan for Artifacts (Atitool). There should be no artifacts when you are runing this utility. If there are some you have to lower your core and mem speeds and run it again.

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
If i change the fan speeds in ATI toll to lets say keep temp<85 will it stay like that or will i have to change it everytime i start my pc
The temps at the above listed frequencies are at 89 and there are no artifacts- ran ati tool artifact tester. for 30mins (enough?) .
What should my temps be so i dont shorten the life of my card?
When i did find max core and mem it maxed out on 681-no artifacts and 1036-started artifacting

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
shit 30 mins lol yeah id say thats enough... I would suggest having ati tool record your temps on a log... when you are finished playing a game check the log and see how your temps behaved.... if its 30min stable then your good to go...

hell... if im 2min stable im good to go lol....

*sigh*

don't be like me, your 30min regiment sounds good!

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
If i change the fan speeds in ATI toll to lets say keep temp<85 will it stay like that or will i have to change it everytime i start my pc
Make sure that atitool loads everytime you windows load. It will automaticly startup the speed of the fan and try to keep it <85. I would pick a 60-70 manual speed settings and keep it there or adjust it so that what ever seem ok with you i mean the noise level of the fan.

The temps at the above listed frequencies are at 89 and there are no artifacts- ran ati tool artifact tester. for 30mins (enough?) .
What should my temps be so i dont shorten the life of my card?
When i did find max core and mem it maxed out on 681-no artifacts and 1036-started artifacting
Everytime you oc your card it will shorten you cards life a bit. You can buy aftermarket cooling like zalman to keep the temps down. When artifacts started appearing reduce or lower the core and mem speeds and keep them there. Then when you lowered your core an mem speeds run the Scan for Artifacts one more time so that you are sure that no artifacts are appearing.

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
i manually set my fan to 75% and load temps are at 75- stock speeds
wouldnt changing the cooler void the warranty?

BTW my cpu temps for x2 4200 at stock are 40 under load those good?

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
**** 30 mins lol yeah id say thats enough... I would suggest having ati tool record your temps on a log... when you are finished playing a game check the log and see how your temps behaved.... if its 30min stable then your good to go...

hell... if im 2min stable im good to go lol....

*sigh*

don't be like me, your 30min regiment sounds good!

do temps in a games (like fear) vary greatly from those in artifact tester?

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
i manually set my fan to 75% and load temps are at 75- stock speeds
wouldnt changing the cooler void the warranty?

BTW my cpu temps for x2 4200 at stock are 40 under load those good?
Yes it is going to void the warranty so will overclocking the card. You can always put the old cooler on if something goes wrong. Here is ATi site about warranty. Read RETAIL Warranty Durations.
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

"Unauthorized repairs to an ATI board level product will void the warranty offered by ATI Technologies. ATI reserves the right to refuse to service any product which has been altered, modified or repaired by non-ATI service personnel."

Your CPU temps look OK no problem there.

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Right.... I mean how will they know i oc'd or changed the cooler if i put everything back to the way it was before.

Thx for all your help.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Right.... I mean how will they know i oc'd or changed the cooler if i put everything back to the way it was before.

Thx for all your help.
It will be hard for them to tell if you had an aftermarket cooler. Make sure you put white paste i believe thats what ATi uses. If you put AS5 and put you stock cooler on they will see. If you fry your card its probably because of overclocking too much.

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Ok so im set at this. 681/999 at 77 celcius under load fan speed 70%
my cpu temps are 44celcius at load.
This shouldnt fail on me any time soon right?
Also i have a 550watt psu with 22a and 20a on 12 v rails

Almost forgot- no artifacts in ati tool either

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Ok so im set at this. 681/999 at 77 celcius under load fan speed 70%
my cpu temps are 44celcius at load.
This shouldnt fail on me any time soon right?
Also i have a 550watt psu with 22a and 20a on 12 v rails

Almost forgot- no artifacts in ati tool either
Looks like an good oc at 681/999 and at 77C with load. Setting your fan speeds helped your temps. CPU temp are fine. It should not fail hopefully. What brand of PSU do you have.