newbie win2kpro normal user browsing lan

Hi,
just want "normal" user group inside win2kprosp4 can
browse little lan with workgroup not domanin
Seams that only powerusers can do it.
Is this true?Can't I allow browsing lan to users without setting them as
superuser?

Thanks in advince for any help
3 answers Last reply
More about newbie win2kpro normal user browsing

    Browsing the lan via My Network Places has nothing to do with group
    membership. Now accessing is a different story and that all depends on
    permissions granted to shares on the computer offering the share.
    Permissions are assigned at both the share level and via ntfs permissions on
    the local computer that the share is created on. To access a resource on
    another network computer the user will also need his user account/password
    on the computer offering the share. --- Steve

    "evaristo" <evaristo@REMOVEMElibero.it> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > just want "normal" user group inside win2kprosp4 can
    > browse little lan with workgroup not domanin
    > Seams that only powerusers can do it.
    > Is this true?Can't I allow browsing lan to users without setting them as
    > superuser?
    >
    > Thanks in advince for any help

    > Browsing the lan via My Network Places has nothing to do with group
    > membership. Now accessing is a different story and that all depends on
    > permissions granted to shares on the computer offering the share.
    > Permissions are assigned at both the share level and via ntfs permissions
    on
    > the local computer that the share is created on. To access a resource on
    > another network computer the user will also need his user account/password
    > on the computer offering the share. --- Steve

    Thanks Steven, but:
    - it's a p2p lan with no password for any resource;
    -computers are win2ksp4, win98se, win311
    - If I search for computer's names as nomral userI can't find real name
    but something like "//:computername" and I can't browse inside.Also I can't
    see anything starting from My Network Places.
    -Setting us user us poweruser resolve any problems.

    Thanks again for your time

    Evaristo

    For the shares you are trying to access, see if regular users group has permissions
    to the share in folder properties/security. The link below may help. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418 --- most applies to
    Windows 2000 also.

    > > Browsing the lan via My Network Places has nothing to do with group
    > > membership. Now accessing is a different story and that all depends on
    > > permissions granted to shares on the computer offering the share.
    > > Permissions are assigned at both the share level and via ntfs permissions
    > on
    > > the local computer that the share is created on. To access a resource on
    > > another network computer the user will also need his user account/password
    > > on the computer offering the share. --- Steve
    > >
    > Thanks Steven, but:
    > - it's a p2p lan with no password for any resource;
    > -computers are win2ksp4, win98se, win311
    > - If I search for computer's names as nomral userI can't find real name
    > but something like "//:computername" and I can't browse inside.Also I can't
    > see anything starting from My Network Places.
    > -Setting us user us poweruser resolve any problems.
    >
    > Thanks again for your time
    >
    > Evaristo

Policy LAN Microsoft Windows