newbie win2kpro normal user browsing lan

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 22, 2004 11:01:26 PM

Hi,
just want "normal" user group inside win2kprosp4 can
browse little lan with workgroup not domanin
Seams that only powerusers can do it.
Is this true?Can't I allow browsing lan to users without setting them as
superuser?

Thanks in advince for any help
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:05:37 AM

Browsing the lan via My Network Places has nothing to do with group
membership. Now accessing is a different story and that all depends on
permissions granted to shares on the computer offering the share.
Permissions are assigned at both the share level and via ntfs permissions on
the local computer that the share is created on. To access a resource on
another network computer the user will also need his user account/password
on the computer offering the share. --- Steve

"evaristo" <evaristo@REMOVEMElibero.it> wrote in message
news:o bDfKqHWEHA.2952@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> just want "normal" user group inside win2kprosp4 can
> browse little lan with workgroup not domanin
> Seams that only powerusers can do it.
> Is this true?Can't I allow browsing lan to users without setting them as
> superuser?
>
> Thanks in advince for any help

June 23, 2004 12:49:18 PM

> Browsing the lan via My Network Places has nothing to do with group
> membership. Now accessing is a different story and that all depends on
> permissions granted to shares on the computer offering the share.
> Permissions are assigned at both the share level and via ntfs permissions
on
> the local computer that the share is created on. To access a resource on
> another network computer the user will also need his user account/password
> on the computer offering the share. --- Steve

Thanks Steven, but:
- it's a p2p lan with no password for any resource;
-computers are win2ksp4, win98se, win311
- If I search for computer's names as nomral userI can't find real name
but something like "//:computername" and I can't browse inside.Also I can't
see anything starting from My Network Places.
-Setting us user us poweruser resolve any problems.

Thanks again for your time

Evaristo
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 10:21:08 AM

For the shares you are trying to access, see if regular users group has permissions
to the share in folder properties/security. The link below may help. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418 --- most applies to
Windows 2000 also.

news:o bUIv4OWEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

!