deploying wondows xp through group policy....

I am trying to deploy win xp os from my active directory 2000 server. I
published the software in the group policy under computer configuration like
article 314953 in ms kb says even though I wanted to assign it but it is
fine. When I reboot the workstation that has 2000 pro on it, it says
installing xp and when I log in it show in the add/remove programs with only
the remove option.

What did do wrong?

I want to upgrade every workstation in the office and group policy is the
best way to do that. I have 3 questions:

1. Can I use group policy to upgrade every 2k pro workstation?
2. Can I do that w/o any user intervention?
3. Can I do that w/o the user entering the product key?

Please help. I am running out time.
1 answer Last reply
More about deploying wondows group policy

    Hey, maybe I´m not so well informed, but as long as I know, software
    deployment through GPO is not aimed at installing OSes, only applications.
    To do a massive upgrade like this, you should try RIS (if you want to wipe
    clean your woksations and have the apropriate hardware), or if you´re only
    uggrading the OS, not applications, you could create a distribution point on
    the network and perform an unattended install based on an unattend.txt-style
    script, I have used them very succesfully. Only problem here is that users
    must log on with administrative privileges to their own workstations.
    Hope this helps,
    Robert

    Roberto Ruiz
    Brainbench MVP for WinNT Workstation
    http://www.brainbench.com

    "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to deploy win xp os from my active directory 2000 server. I
    > published the software in the group policy under computer configuration
    like
    > article 314953 in ms kb says even though I wanted to assign it but it is
    > fine. When I reboot the workstation that has 2000 pro on it, it says
    > installing xp and when I log in it show in the add/remove programs with
    only
    > the remove option.
    >
    > What did do wrong?
    >
    > I want to upgrade every workstation in the office and group policy is the
    > best way to do that. I have 3 questions:
    >
    > 1. Can I use group policy to upgrade every 2k pro workstation?
    > 2. Can I do that w/o any user intervention?
    > 3. Can I do that w/o the user entering the product key?
    >
    > Please help. I am running out time.

Policy Workstations Windows XP Windows