Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Promise Ultra ATA133 TX2 Controller Burning problems

Last response: in Components
Share
January 16, 2007 8:28:44 PM

Hi there,

I have a question.

I just bought the Promise Ultra 133 TX2 Controller. I bought it because I have 2 DVD-burners... and just one IDE controller @ my new mainboard. (Asus Striker Extreme)
I always use my DVD Burners together. (so I burn 2 dvd's at the same time). Unfortunately... with 2 burners @ 1 IDE controller (one at master and one at slave), the burning speed is limited at 4x. (I figured that the ide bandwith isn't enough to support 2 burners @ 1 ide-controller @ 12x or 16x)
For this reason I bought this extra ATA controller.

My first question:
Is is possible to only connect my DVD-burner to the controller (so no IDE-harddisk). Because that's the first thing that's going wrong. I tried to attach one of my DVD-burners to the controllers. The burner is detected in the ATA bios, but the system then just halts before windows even starts booting. I now borrowed an IDE-harddrive from my roommate and attached that one to the Promise controller.. together with the DVD-burner. And now they are both detected and windows is booting.

My second question:
Is it even possible to burn using an PCI ATA controller?
I tried it.. (I just booted the system the normal way, using my regular sata-drives and using my roommates IDE harddisk and my DVD-burner both connected to the Promise controller)

But burning isn't possible. Nero just don't detect the DVD-burner (while windows detects it). I tried Alcohol 120%... but that program detects the burner.. but burning isn't possible... is just keeps saying that the inserted disc has not enough space.. which is bull-shit ofcource.

Anyone has had these problems before? or somebody has answers for me? I searched with goole etc.. but I quess my problem isn't that common.. so I didn't find any answers...

Thx!

Greetz, Wishjuh
January 17, 2007 8:24:21 AM

Ok I allready have the answer from the manufacturer (promise). The card is not designed for use with dvd-burners. So I made a mistake buying this product. Silly me.
January 17, 2007 9:32:44 AM

that's wierd,
i've had the Promise Ultra ATA100 TX2, used it years with 2 burners, HDD on my onboard ata,

looks like they went back on their quality
Related resources
January 17, 2007 9:37:36 AM

Quote:
that's wierd,
i've had the Promise Ultra ATA100 TX2, used it years with 2 burners, HDD on my onboard ata,

looks like they went back on their quality


Hmm that really is weird then... because this was the response from Promise Tecnical Support:

"the card is not designed to be used with cdrom writers or players. it is mainly designed to be used as a harddisk expansion. the speed will be limited because the cdrom drives will only detected in PIO mode. Hence making it slower as the usual onboard controller."

But I allready fixed it by buying a Sata-DVD burner from Lite-ON.. was only 40$ :)  Hope I can return the Promise ATA-card then...
January 17, 2007 9:53:59 AM

this is the data sheet of my ultra ATA100

http://www.promise.com/marketing/datasheet/file/1_U100T...

it states it has full atapi support

and here's a quote:

Just plug Ultra100 TX2 into any PCI slot and
attach your new Ultra ATA/100 or other Ultra
ATA drive. The Promise BIOS does the rest…
recognizing and optimizing each drive and
device
for their maximum performance.
Simply install the included Promise drivers for
Ultra100 TX2 and watch Windows performance
improve dramatically too
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is the data sheet of your ultra ATA133

http://www.promise.com/marketing/datasheet/file/Ultra13...

first page:
Handles Up to 4 Ultra ATA/133 Drives or devices

and here's another quote:

Ultra133 TX2 is the perfect choice for
adding conflict-free peripherals to your system.
Ultra133 TX2 and its two ATA ports co-exist with the
motherboard’s two ATA ports. Now you can
combine up to 8 ATA drives and ATAPI peripherals
(CD-RWs, DVDs, etc...) in any one PC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sent this to promise,
they are trying to f**** you!
January 17, 2007 11:19:53 AM

Quote:
this is the data sheet of my ultra ATA100

http://www.promise.com/marketing/datasheet/file/1_U100T...

it states it has full atapi support

and here's a quote:

Just plug Ultra100 TX2 into any PCI slot and
attach your new Ultra ATA/100 or other Ultra
ATA drive. The Promise BIOS does the rest…
recognizing and optimizing each drive and
device
for their maximum performance.
Simply install the included Promise drivers for
Ultra100 TX2 and watch Windows performance
improve dramatically too
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is the data sheet of your ultra ATA133

http://www.promise.com/marketing/datasheet/file/Ultra13...

first page:
Handles Up to 4 Ultra ATA/133 Drives or devices

and here's another quote:

Ultra133 TX2 is the perfect choice for
adding conflict-free peripherals to your system.
Ultra133 TX2 and its two ATA ports co-exist with the
motherboard’s two ATA ports. Now you can
combine up to 8 ATA drives and ATAPI peripherals
(CD-RWs, DVDs, etc...) in any one PC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sent this to promise,
they are trying to f**** you!


I noticed that too... when reading the manual... hmm I think I will sent this to Promise... suckers :( 
January 17, 2007 12:49:03 PM

I have the Promise Ultra 133 TX2 Controller, it only has a Lite-On DVD-DL burner connected ATM, and works perfectly.
I've run both HD's & CD/DVD drives in various combinations before.

Do you have the drivers installed that came with it?
Mine wouldn't run properly without them.
Try changing the PCI slot it's in & reinstalling the drivers.
January 17, 2007 2:14:34 PM

Quote:
I have the Promise Ultra 133 TX2 Controller, it only has a Lite-On DVD-DL burner connected ATM, and works perfectly.
I've run both HD's & CD/DVD drives in various combinations before.

Do you have the drivers installed that came with it?
Mine wouldn't run properly without them.
Try changing the PCI slot it's in & reinstalling the drivers.


I installed the driver which came with the controller. I don't have another PCI-slot... because my Geforce 8800GTX is taking 2 slots space ;) 

But I allready solved this problem by returning the ATA controller... and buying a Lite-ON SATA burner.. so I now have 1 IDE DVD-burner (NEC) connected to my mainboards IDE-port... and one SATA Burner (Lite-ON) connected to one of my 8 sata ports...

But anyway... thx for the advice!
!