Software Installation Order in GPO Software Installation f..

Hi!

Recently I've decided to install softwares destined for my Client Workstations via the "Software Installation and Maintenance" feature provided by Group Policies.

I was wondering if it was possible to set an order in which softwares would be installed.
For example as I am upgrading all my Win2K clients with SP4 through the GPO, I would like SP4 to be installed prior to other applications.

I hope someone will know the answer to this question.
Thanks in advance for any kind of help!
Julien.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Julien-

You'd probably do better with an SUS server--it applies
the updates you want to, and you specify which ones (it
downloads them and you manage it thru a web interface and
it looks like Windows Update). Just need to point your
clients to the SUS server and they'll get the updates in
Microsoft's preferred order (I believe).

More info at www.susserver.com

Good luck

Ken

Thanks for the information!!
As I also plan to use the SUS system on my network, your info will be very precious to me!

But my question was more related to the Deployment of Softwares such as MS Office, Internet Explorer, or Service Packs of Win2K throughout my Domain.
I was talking about the feature you have within the GPO's!

If someone could give me some info, I would be really greatful.

Thanks in advance.
Julien.

"Ken" wrote:

> Julien-
>
> You'd probably do better with an SUS server--it applies
> the updates you want to, and you specify which ones (it
> downloads them and you manage it thru a web interface and
> it looks like Windows Update). Just need to point your
> clients to the SUS server and they'll get the updates in
> Microsoft's preferred order (I believe).
>
> More info at www.susserver.com
>
> Good luck
>
> Ken

Julien,
I've searched for & tested what you're talking about, and what I came up
with is there is no way to force a certain installation order in a single
GPO. You'd have to create multiple GPO's for each software package and set
the order that way. Not very good, since you can end up with a lot of
GPO's.

Scott

"Julien" <Julien@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the information!!
> As I also plan to use the SUS system on my network, your info will be very
> precious to me!
>
> But my question was more related to the Deployment of Softwares such as MS
> Office, Internet Explorer, or Service Packs of Win2K throughout my Domain.
> I was talking about the feature you have within the GPO's!
>
> If someone could give me some info, I would be really greatful.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Julien.
>

> "Ken" wrote:
>
>> Julien-
>>
>> You'd probably do better with an SUS server--it applies
>> the updates you want to, and you specify which ones (it
>> downloads them and you manage it thru a web interface and
>> it looks like Windows Update). Just need to point your
>> clients to the SUS server and they'll get the updates in
>> Microsoft's preferred order (I believe).
>>
>> More info at www.susserver.com
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Ken

Scott,

Thanks a lot for your answer!!
Even if I understand there is no way to do it with only 1 GPO, I got an answer to my question which will enable me to move one!
Julien.